OPUS#3 Hi-Res Audio player w/wifi and streaming
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #526 of 533
I see this thread is not so popular for a well regarded player that I believe still has quite a few issues,I just picked the opus#3 up recently and like it very much I have always love the burr brown dac and the build is very nice and top tier,I think the wifi is very weak and this causes issues with streaming ,DLNA works fine for redbook but not so good for bigger files,spotify works fine(probably why it was pre-installed)
Qobuz and amazon hd load fine but crash constantly after a minute or two and opus reboots,although I have found that if I download the music from these two apps then switch wifi off,I can play them offline without any trouble which is a big bonus.I do not like to use a lot of apps anyway and tend to stay away from full android devices which are now saturating the market.
I see audio-opus have disabled there website so I cannot see any more support for this player which is a shame,I tend to buy older players that have lost the love and can pick them up at good price and keep the ones that I enjoy I think this one is a keeper along with my DX100,QLS- qa360 and wm1z.
Is there any other apps out there that are very stable(Tidal doesn't work at all).

cheers Stuart

In my experience BandCamp works pretty fine, I used few times Spotify which (as you already mentioned is intended to work on this DAP), while have no experience on Tidal nor Qobuz on this, and for sure I wasn't able to play Amazon music on it (I mean I couldn't make it work from the start).

Just two things over this:
1) beware about avoid playing too much with installing and uninstalling, dont' launch the app just after you finish to install it, and above all do some factory reset to "clean up" the environment when you know what to keep, as that android OS imho will oterwise mess things up in the long run otherwise
2) Leave space on local SD, don't put much stuff onto it
3) look for maybe older apk of streaming services, as they might have APIs more "edible" for the player (my two cents) :)

Cheers!

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #527 of 533
cheers yes I always tend to use older apk and only load a couple of apps. just tested amazon hd on the way to work(about 1 hour) and it played exceptionally well with no crashes using my phone as a hotspot so all dependent on wifi strength.

Feb 27, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #528 of 533
Hi, I just saw that the Opus#3 is being sold on Amazon for $399 with a free case included.
Is this still a worthwhile buy at that price?
I don't stream, use Bluetooth or Wifi so i thought this might be a decent choice.
I've always heard good things about these players (aside from battery problems) but I'd like to hear an opinion or two
before I take the plunge.

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #530 of 533
I just got my Opus #3 a couple of weeks ago, and I love it. Problem: to my understanding, the user manual is only on the manufacturer’s website, which is prompting me to create my first-ever post in this forum. Their site seems to be down (assuming that it is audio–opus.com). Does anyone know if there is an outside link to the manual? I want my manual!

Specifically, I’m wondering if there is any way to navigate from one track within a folder to a track within a different folder, without having to hit the back arrow a half dozen times.

I’m also wondering if “deep sleep” and powering off are two different things, and which one of those is accomplished by holding the power button for a few seconds and then clicking the confirmation to power off. Doing that doesn’t seem to accomplish this magical thing people have spoken of, which is retaining 100% charge for days/weeks.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #531 of 533
I reviewed it back in must have been 2017 when i was a busy bunny.

I dont recall a manual.

Usually just stopping the music (wifi off).
And touching the power button briefly will go into sleep mode

Full turn off is full turn off.

I remember leaving opus daps in sleep mode for weeks (even months)and turning them on again with still battery whichwas always unusual.

I did find Opus#1s and Opus#2 manuals
- between them both you should find your answers. Opus daps are fairly similar 1&1s no wifi, opus3 and opus2 with wifi from distant memory…

http://rronline.org/opus/1S/OPUS1S_MANUALENG_01.pdf

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1818760/Bit-Opus-2.html#product-OPUS#2

Also check out Twister6 review and headfonics for added information:

https://twister6.com/2017/05/22/thebit-opus3/amp/

The daps are discontinued afaik

There is a Opus#3 manual i found if you can read Japanese (if you look at the opus1s manual it gollows much the same picture wise anyways).
http://divinfo.mmccorp.jp/_src/1215/opus3_manjp_v1.0.1.pdf?v=1610049737600

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #532 of 533
I reviewed it back in must have been 2017 when i was a busy bunny.

I dont recall a manual.
Thank you for all the info and links. Your review was one of the ones I read when choosing this device— I had to google “eye of Sauron.” I assume I am navigating correctly, and hopefully the other manuals will be of help.

The audio-opus site is indeed down, which is unfortunate. Amazon listed the device as “new” when I ordered it, although it may have been in its box for a few years. Massdrop seems to have produced a version.

The only addition I have to reviewers’ observations about the packaging is the SMELL. It seems that everything in the box was drenched in cologne (patchouli?) when the package was assembled.

The leather case does make it too easy to accidentally bump the side buttons when picking the unit up. And it struggles a bit with HD-6xx, although the sound is not bad. Much livelier through an external amp, though. EDIT: Listening with the phones plugged directly into it, for the first time in a week. It sounds like the electronics have loosened up considerably from breaking in. It sounds entirely acceptable with the HD-6xx now, and worlds better than it did first out of the box.

Overall I am addicted to this thing, and I’ve pretty much just used it for MP3s! It makes them sound like cd playback on a very nice player. Can’t wait to spend some money at hdtracks.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #533 of 533
Thank you for all the info and links. Your review was one of the ones I read when choosing this device— I had to google “eye of Sauron”
Haha. That was a challenge from another reviewer. See if you can slip this line in somewhere: ‘Its tonality is like the eye of sauron’ or something to that effect…

Which lead to other ridiculous challenges and seeing what word salad and first letter codes and other stuff could be inserted into reviews.

Yes. From past reviewing of daps it does take a little bit of time for them to open up.

Hard to say how old the dap is seeing as the website has been down for ages, and the line discontinued.

Ithink the Opus#1s or Opus#2 were my favorites from the line at the time (just a personal preference sound signature thing, perhaps burr brown vs cirrus vs akm vs ess etc etc). The Opus#1 wow’d me as one of the first daps that i used (used to do iphone to dac/amp as most early daps had slow or bad ui).

The Opus daps havedifferent output impedance on single ended and balanced ports. So a slightly different sound can be had from each.

If you have some CDs burn em to 16/41 or something and enjoy :)

I should dig it out and see what i think now days.
See if those batteries have slept well for many months whilst fully switched off.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back