OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Aug 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #61 of 743
  Still, I suspect that adding rings of various inner diameters, made of felt or other materials, will likely become a popular (and very easy) way to mod the PM-2.

Mike

Mike,  I took those words to heart.....after removing the felt rings from my velour PM-1 pads, and installing the rings in my PM-2 to give a listen.  That didn't work at all, compressed the soundstage and openness of the PM-2, and muffled the bass.  That was the same effect that the velour pads had on the PM-1 with the felt rings in.

Then, I started thinking about your idea above.  I cut some Creatology foam rings the same size as the rings that were removed from the velour rings.  I tried the Cretology rings in the PM-2 pads, and I was dissatisfied with the sound....soundstage and bass response suffered.  Next I took the Creatology foam rings and I put them in the velour PM-1 pads.  Still testing that combo, but initial impressions are very positive, I just invented a PM-2 velour pads that........opened up the PM-2's with a very big soundstage, lots of air and sparkle, while retaining (maybe improving) the bass response.  With the velour modded pads on my PM-2, I did not get the negative response they had in their stock form on both the PM-1 or PM-2, which was a muffled/veiled sound.  With the velour modded pads on my PM-2, I now have the comfort of velour, and I always have liked the frequency response I got on my other headphones, all with using velour.  This modd really puts the PM-2 in the positive column for me.  This may have a lot to do with my current setup, but I can say the shouty male and female vocals I experienced earlier are gone with these velour modded pads.  I have confirmed the effect holds with my aftermarket cables as well, although with the cable changes I do hear slight positive differences in sound as well.

I sure wish Oppo would hurry with offereing other ear pads as an accessory, as it is proven that their headphones can be tuned.  That would open up a lot of options for tuning these headphones by the individual users, as each has different gears and ears! 

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #62 of 743

Mike,  I took those words to heart.....after removing the felt rings from my velour PM-1 pads, and installing the rings in my PM-2 to give a listen.  That didn't work at all, compressed the soundstage and openness of the PM-2, and muffled the bass.  That was the same effect that the velour pads had on the PM-1 with the felt rings in.

Then, I started thinking about your idea above.  I cut some Creatology foam rings the same size as the rings that were removed from the velour rings.  I tried the Cretology rings in the PM-2 pads, and I was dissatisfied with the sound....soundstage and bass response suffered.  Next I took the Creatology foam rings and I put them in the velour PM-1 pads.  Still testing that combo, but initial impressions are very positive, I just invented a PM-2 velour pads that........opened up the PM-2's with a very big soundstage, lots of air and sparkle, while retaining (maybe improving) the bass response.  With the velour modded pads on my PM-2, I did not get the negative response they had in their stock form on both the PM-1 or PM-2, which was a muffled/veiled sound.  With the velour modded pads on my PM-2, I now have the comfort of velour, and I always have liked the frequency response I got on my other headphones, all with using velour.  This modd really puts the PM-2 in the positive column for me.  This may have a lot to do with my current setup, but I can say the shouty male and female vocals I experienced earlier are gone with these velour modded pads.  I have confirmed the effect holds with my aftermarket cables as well, although with the cable changes I do hear slight positive differences in sound as well.

I sure wish Oppo would hurry with offereing other ear pads as an accessory, as it is proven that their headphones can be tuned.  That would open up a lot of options for tuning these headphones by the individual users, as each has different gears and ears! 

You're a certified sound engineer, now!

I have the PM-1 and I'll be getting the PM-2 (should be delivered Wednesday); so I can try the "PM-1 Original Lambskin Leather pads" on the PM-2 and see if the PM-2 has the same sound quality of the PM-1 when the pads are the same (sounds like that was the case with the velour pads).

I really like the sound and comfort of the PM-1 with the lambskin pads.  

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #63 of 743
When I had the PM-1, been a few weeks though, they didn't have this huge, fantastic soundstage with the velour pads.  IMO, it was muffled/veiled with a drop off on the treble.  The PM-2 with the Creatolgy foam rings in the velour pads have a very different sound to these ears.  This is not possible with the PM-2 stock pads.  The PM-2 with velour pad mod sound more like an open Alpha Dog, beats the Alpha Dog hands now, and not just in open vs closed headphones.  My PM-2 now beats the HE-560 I just sold to get them in both width and depth of soundstage.  This is my opinion, and on another setup the results may vary.  But I have tried them on my two other solid state amplifiers, and I don't lose a thing in the sound sig on them.  I am going to give this some time, but I do like it very much right now!

The PM-1 stock velour pads on the PM-1 did not have the air and sparkle that I am now hearing on the PM-2 with the mod that I did to them!

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #65 of 743
Cute,

You're probably the first of many modders to come! :D

Again, I'm not equipped with released PM-2 pads, but I agree with your conclusion that the absence of felt rings increases brightness, transparency and sound stage, but from experience I can say that velour pads increase the bass response, relative to lambskin or polyurethane.

Thus, there's a lot of tuning that can be done on the PM-1, just with the following four combinations:

Velour with felt rings
Lambskin with felt rings
Velour without felt rings
Lambskin without felt rings

Get the PM-2 tuned pads and you'll be able to torment yourself testing six combinations. :D

Start experimenting with even one pair of DIY rings and you'll have to test nine combinations. :p

Go for it, and do let us know what works best with what gear.

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #66 of 743
I hope that some time (burn-in or whatever), will help the edgy treble, and poor bass extension....probably take a miracle to bail out this in the PM-2 with stock ear pads though!

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #68 of 743
  I hope that some time (burn-in or whatever), will help the edgy treble, and poor bass extension....probably take a miracle to bail out this in the PM-2 with stock ear pads though!

Pads will naturally form to your ears as you use them, so I can see bass extension improving possibly.  Better seal might help wit the treble too, only time will tell I guess :p  

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #69 of 743
i was wondering how does it compare to audeze lcd2 rev2 fazor, can anyone compare

how is the bass punch and slam compared to other orthos

are there shouty mids and highs

is it warm

Aug 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #70 of 743
  i was wondering how does it compare to audeze lcd2 rev2 fazor, can anyone compare

how is the bass punch and slam compared to other orthos

are there shouty mids and highs

is it warm

From what I remember in Chicago, I wouldn't call them warm.  They seemed to have a rather sweet, mid-focused signature.  My ears aren't sensitive to shoutyness so I can't really comment on that.  

Aug 11, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #71 of 743
Looks like the PM-2 is getting love from purrin elsewhere. "The PM-2 with the Alternate PM-1 pads has very good tonal response - on the verge of excellent." Dang.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #72 of 743
My initial impression of the PM-2 has changed.  I initially thought the PM-2 with the stock pads had edgy/shouty vocals, both male and female vocals.  I have had them for three days now, and after initial listening, I have had them running on a second system (24/7) so that I could compare them with my Alpha Dogs on my main system, and also give them some run in time.  I now have about 70 hours on the PM-2, and no longer hear the shouty vocals or edgy treble.  I know it isn't brain burn because during that time only a small percentage of the time was spent listening to the PM-2, and after listening to other headphones, and going back to the PM-2 after time away, the initial sound has changed....with my setup staying the same.  I also have the PM-1 velour pads that I modded by removing the felt ring and replaced it with some creatotogy foam.  The sound of the PM-2 after some run in time, is close between the modded velour pads and the stock PM-2 pads. I liked the combination of the PM-2 with the modded velour PM-1 pads because removing the ring and replacing it opened up the soundstage, and removed the muffled, closed in feeling they had with the stock PM-1 velour pads.  So, IMO it is possible to slightly alter the sound of the PM-2 by pad rolling.  Much to my satisfaction the PM-2 is sounding extremely nice at this point, and for lack of another comparison at the moment, I can say that they are close in sound to a more open Alpha Dog, and that is not a bad thing, IMO.  I can't wait for others to get their PM-2 for more impressions, but I would suggest to hold back on initial impressions as a final judgment and give them at least 50 hours of run in with normal music listening, as I believe it may make a difference.  This is all subjective opinion, nothing to prove that any changes occurred, or YMMV.

I am impressed by what Oppo has done with the pads on the PM-2, but I eagerly await the availability of the new PM-1 pads (PM-2 tuned), and the original PM-1 leather pads, count me in when they become available for purchase!

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #73 of 743
I have just received my PM-2 
biggrin.gif

Wow the sound is much more open than the PM-1 and the build quality is amazing!  (Honestly it's hard to see the difference versus the PM-1.)

Now when I'm placing my hands against the open back, the sound is not the same at all like it was the case with my PM-1.

Great job Oppo!  These headphones are a steal for $699.

Can't wait to compare them with my HE-560 tonight :wink:

Patrick

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #74 of 743
  I have just received my PM-2 
biggrin.gif

Wow the sound is much more open than the PM-1 and the build quality is amazing!  (Honestly it's hard to see the difference versus the PM-1.)

Now when I'm placing my hands against the open back, the sound is not the same at all like it was the case with my PM-1.

Great job Oppo!  These headphones are a steal for $699.

Can't wait to compare them with my HE-560 tonight :wink:

Patrick

That's encouraging. Mine are delayed a day and won't be here till Tuesday. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back