OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Aug 11, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #91 of 743
I think the PM-2 pads have increased sound stage because their pads don't have the felt rings - we're listening to the drivers through a larger diameter hole.

Mike

Adding in felt was used to tune the headphones...  Tame the treble a little bit.  

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #93 of 743

I wonder what the difference in sound stage is attributed to. Pads? 

Yes I'm sure that it's because of the new earpads.

These headphones are really amazing!  I have the feeling that I might like them a little bit more than my HE-560..

I had the same feeling, I sold my HE-560 for these.....good move Cute!     
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:28 AM Post #94 of 743
so from your point of view who heard audeze lcd 2 rev2 fazor I get that oppo pm2 has less bass, and is more bright.

Am I right

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #96 of 743
I think the PM-2 pads have increased sound stage because their pads don't have the felt rings - we're listening to the drivers through a larger diameter hole.

Mike

Quote:

Adding in felt was used to tune the headphones...  Tame the treble a little bit.  

Interestingly...

OPPO's decision to add felt rings to the PM-1 lambskin and velour pads was no doubt "used to tune the headphones."

and

OPPO's decision to remove the felt rings from the PM-2 polyurethane pads was no doubt "used to tune the headphones" (for the same driver as the PM-1).

And that's why they'll be sending PM-2-tuned pads to current PM-1 owners.  Some will prefer the original pads with their gear and their ears.  And that's OK.  

Having choices is good.

For sure, I'm hearing improved sound stage in the absence of felt rings, but other traits are affected, too, of course.

Mike

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #97 of 743
Fedex Ninja came early.  Listening to the pm-2 now. I'm liking what I hear. I agree about the improved sound stage and better treble extension over the pm-1. Using the HA-1 for amping. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #98 of 743
I am very interested in two kinds of comparisons. One, is the PM-2 versus the LCD-2 and the HE-560 (which are the other headphones in this price range that I am contemplating). Second, would be the Pm-2 on a smartphone/tablet versus a dedicated headamp. In addition to how well it scales with better upstream I am wondering if it is in fact good on a humble iphone/ipad, as Oppos literature suggests.

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #100 of 743
  Fedex Ninja came early.  Listening to the pm-2 now. I'm liking what I hear. I agree about the improved sound stage and better treble extension over the pm-1. Using the HA-1 for amping. 

Matt, are you using the stock cable?  Probably I guess.....

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #102 of 743

The PM-2 plays well with all the kids on the block.  They can be tuned with several pads available, different cables, different tubes, amps, DAC's.  They sound fantastic with every combination I can throw at them.  They scale up off of speaker taps from all three of my amps!

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #103 of 743
 These headphones are really amazing!  I have the feeling that I might like them a little bit more than my HE-560..

Hi Pfillion, I see from your profile that your music preferences are almost identical as mine
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do also see, that you listen with PM-2 and HE-560. I am about ready to order a PM-2, but still do fancy with HE-400i, that appears to sound similar to your model HE-560. I am in love with my HA-1 and I'd most likely prefer to purchase the PM-2. What model would be your preference if you had to select one of the two's only (for your particular music preferences like Dreamtheater, Tool, Steven Wilson, Fates Warning, Redemption...) Please understand, I am not a "basshead" (although I am a bassplayer), I want a warm sound (and a cool head
cool.gif
) while listening, but for me comfort matters when listening HP's for hours. However, I do not want "missing treble" as my ears aren't young anymore. May I kindly ask your opinion? What earpads are you using mostly (leather, pleather, velours)?
Thanks, I appreciate your comments!
beerchug.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #104 of 743
  Hi Pfillion, I see from your profile that your music preferences are almost identical as mine
smily_headphones1.gif
. I do also see, that you listen with PM-2 and HE-560. I am about ready to order a PM-2, but still do fancy with HE-400i, that appears to sound similar to your model HE-560. I am in love with my HA-1 and I'd most likely prefer to purchase the PM-2. What model would be your preference if you had to select one of the two's only (for your particular music preferences like Dreamtheater, Tool, Steven Wilson, Fates Warning, Redemption...) Please understand, I am not a "basshead" (although I am a bassplayer), I want a warm sound (and a cool head
cool.gif
) while listening, but for me comfort matters when listening HP's for hours. However, I do not want "missing treble" as my ears aren't young anymore. May I kindly ask your opinion? What earpads are you using mostly (leather, pleather, velours)?
Thanks, I appreciate your comments!
beerchug.gif

I have the he400i and pm-2 right here. Give me an hour or so and I'll throw out some quick thoughts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back