OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Aug 9, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #46 of 743
Aug 9, 2014 at 9:36 AM Post #47 of 743

I think PM-1 owners are going to like the new PM-1 (PM-2 tuned) pads.  After listening to my PM-2 for 24hrs, I tried the velour pads from the PM-1 and the sound lost clarity and the treble edge it had with the PM-2 pads, and to my ears the sound was muffled/veiled, removed them and went back to the stock pads.  The stock pads are more open sounding with more air and a little sparkle!

Thanks for posting, that was very helpful!  How do the PM-2 pleather pads compare to the PM-1 leather pads as far as comfort goes?

The PM-2 pads are very well made, just like the other Oppo pads.  They are just like the PM-1 pads in comfort, just not quite as soft as the lambskin....imo they feel like leather compared to other pleather pads I have had.  I can't wait for the PM-1 (PM-2 tuned) pads to become available, I really want both, but forget the velours on the PM-2, unless they redesign them to get the PM-2 sound!

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #48 of 743
Hi FYL941,

Those are the best pictures I've seen of the PM-2 thus far - thanks!

Originally Posted by FYL941 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just received them in the mail after winning the pair at the NorCal headfi meet! Thanks oppo! After talking to their reps they said the only difference in between the pm1 and 2 is really just cosmetics and should sound the same as pm1. So far just listening off fiio x3 they sound great and have incredible imaging. Can't go in detail bout sound but comfort level is right up there w the 650's if not better. I can't wait till I get home and listen to them on the lyr2.

I read previously (in purrin's post, where one might argue he is justified for being frustrated by the confusion regarding pads), that the PM-2 will allegedly not have the ring-shaped felt dampeners that sit between the ear pads and the drivers on the PM-1.  Indeed, in Bigshot's post, which follows purrin's, he says that his PM-1 pads were shipped without the felt rings. My PM-1, on the other hand, was shipped with the felt rings adhesed to both the velour and lambskin pads. 

This absence or presence of the felt ring in the PM-1 ear pads might account for the huge disparity of opinion regarding the PM-1 having or not having any "sparkle."

That page makes no mention of whether or not the PM-2 uses the same felt rings as the PM-1.  Going by the information provided there, I would have to conclude that the PM-2 is equipped with the same felt rings as the PM-1, but that's not what I'm reading "on the street."

When you look at the underside of your production PM-2 ear pads, which of these two configurations do you see?

UPDATE:  See my follow-up post, below.

Mike

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:48 AM Post #49 of 743
FWIW, My PM-1 pads, both leather and velour, have the felt rings. The rings on the velour pads are wider that the ones on the leather pads (covering more of the driver). Maybe this is why the velour pads have more of a veiled sound (less treble)?

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #51 of 743
I just received a clarifying response from an OPPO staff member, that boils down to the following (paraphrasing):

- All PM-1s should have shipped with felt rings glued in (to both the velour and the lambskin pads).

- All PM-2s are shipping without the felt rings.

- The forthcoming, PM-2 tuned, alternate PM-1 pads will ship without the felt rings.

Mike

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #53 of 743
I read previously (in purrin's post, where one might argue he is justified for being frustrated by the confusion regarding pads), that the PM-2 will allegedly not have the ring-shaped felt dampeners that sit between the ear pads and the drivers on the PM-1.  Indeed, in Bigshot's post, which follows purrin's, he says that his PM-1 pads were shipped without the felt rings. My PM-1, on the other hand, was shipped with the felt rings adhesed to both the velour and lambskin pads. 

This absence or presence of the felt ring in the PM-1 ear pads might account for the huge disparity of opinion regarding the PM-1 having or not having any "sparkle."

That page makes no mention of whether or not the PM-2 uses the same felt rings as the PM-1.  Going by the information provided there, I would have to conclude that the PM-2 is equipped with the same felt rings as the PM-1, but that's not what I'm reading "on the street."

When you look at the underside of your production PM-2 ear pads, which of these two configurations do you see?

UPDATE:  See my follow-up post, below.

Mike

My pm-2 did not come w the felt pad as shown

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #54 of 743
The PM-2 pads and the forthcoming alternate PM-1 pads differ from the original PM-1 pads in ways other than just the absence of felt rings - they are made of different materials and have different perforation patterns.  So any attempt to remove the glued-in felt rings of the PM1 pads could have a dramatic impact on the sound quality (no doubt brighter), but would not likely give you the exact same results as putting PM-2 pads on your PM-1 (or putting the forthcoming, PM2 tuned PM-1 pads on your PM-1.)

Given how OPPO has explored this subject very thoroughly, taking all feedback to heart and acting on the consensus of opinion, I strongly suspect that the majority of PM-2 buyers will be happiest with an unmodified PM-2 pad and the majority of PM-1 owners will be happiest with the forthcoming, PM-2 tuned, alternate pad for the PM-1 (just guessing, as I've never heard either setup, but it's obvious that OPPO vigorously desires to please their customers.)  

We all have different ears and different gear - some warm, some bright, etc.) but I suspect the majority of us will like whatever OPPO has come up with, precisely because they're out to please the majority, not the outliers, and not their own, in-house tastes.

Still, I suspect that adding rings of various inner diameters, made of felt or other materials, will likely become a popular (and very easy) way to mod the PM-2.

Mike

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #56 of 743
I tried the PM-1 velour pads on my PM-2, with the felt rings, and then I removed the felt rings, both ways on the PM-2, the PM-1 velour pads sounded muffled/veiled, with reduced volume compared to stock PM-2 pads....basically the velour pads were sucking some of the life out of the music, for lack of a better description.  I'd like to hear bigshot's pads on my PM-2.

I have been through listening to 5 of my high quality cables (did not try the stock cable yet), and the one con that I hear with all cables is that with certain vocalist's male and female, the PM-2 can sound a little shouty (edgy), may be due to poor quality mastering because my well recorded tracks don't have such a noticeable affect.  So, for now I would not consider the PM-2 an all rounder vs something like my Alpha Dogs, DT880 600ohm with the same cables.  I guess that would make the Alpha Dogs a better headphone, IMO!  It will be interesting to hear other impressions once there a more PM-2 owners next week!  I need to hear comments of the PM-1 and PM-2 with the PM-1 (PM-2 tuned) pads before making a final decision on my future with the PM-2!

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #57 of 743
I just took the felt rings that I carefully removed from the PM-1 velour pads that I have (reversible if you are careful)....and tried them in my PM-2, giving that a listen now, will have to go through my test tracks for a while to comment!

The shouty/edgy treble I was referring to in male and female vocals were on Natalie Merchant, Natalie Merchant album, and The Black Keys, Magpie and the Dandelion album, just a couple of examples!

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #58 of 743
  I just received a clarifying response from an OPPO staff member, that boils down to the following (paraphrasing):

- All PM-1s should have shipped with felt rings glued in (to both the velour and the lambskin pads).

- All PM-2s are shipping without the felt rings.

- The forthcoming, PM-2 tuned, alternate PM-1 pads will ship without the felt rings.

Mike

What color are the felt rings in the PM-1 pads in your pictures?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back