OPPO PM-2 Is Available - Post Your Impressions Here
Aug 8, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #33 of 743

Still have the AD, but comparisons here won't matter because I don't use stock cables on either!

And neither do I. Vanquish ftw.

The cable I am using is similar to the Vanquish, but instead of the copper/spc, mineis copper/pure silver DHC Fusion Type 4, very similar bleeding edge design.  I didn't have this cable available when I owned the PM-1.  Just made adapters yesterday, 2.5 mm to mini xlr.  My cables have had extensive use, so no need to worry about burn in.

After having the PM-1, in the beautiful presentation perfect box, these some in a much smaller package....cardboard box, nicely designed (silver fabric look with Oppo logo in silver) the same carrying case that came with the PM-1.  Look and feel is much like what I remembered with the PM-1, except the black piece around the cups, and plastic, which look very nice.  Big surprise is the high quality of the pleather used, feels more like real leather than any other pleather I have ever experienced....nice, nice, nice!

Initial test tracks reveal a beautiful sound I am going to like.  Great tight bass, gorgeous mids, very nice treble with lots of air (but consider, this is not the stock cable).  I am really liking these!  They sound very detailed and open, with a big soundstage (cable affect maybe)!  They will complement the Alpha Dogs very well, more open as expected.  The tizz a 4 kHz I heard with the HE-560 does not exist with these, comfort is easily on par with the 560.  I am using Telefunken 12AX7 tubes in my tube amp, using the speaker taps at 5wpc, I am getting a nice rich sound with everything sounding more natural then the 560's had.  Been a month or so since I had the PM-1, so can't really compare the to them, plus I didn't have the Telefunken's or the new Type 4 cables then....but these hit the bullseye for me.  I probably will pass on the HE-400i after reading jerg's impressions, and hearing these!  Would like to hear the Fostex RP next!

Don't want to comment more on the sound right now, as they are so new....but with this cable the soundspace/soundstage is much bigger than I can remember with the PM-1....give a lot of credit to this cable, and the Telefunken tubes as well.  Like them very much!

Aug 8, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #37 of 743
Oppo, we need a PM-2 tuned velour pair of ear pads!  My hot flashes from my Chemo treatments make me sweat too much....velour helps a lot!

Aug 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #39 of 743
What exactly are the differences between pm1 and pm2?

If you visit Oppo's site there is a place where they show all the differences between the two in a comparison chart, but basically it comes down to plastic replacing metal parts, imitation leather, or pleather, replacing genuine Lambskin, one set of ear pads instead of two, oxygen free copper cable instead of single crystal copper cable, plain Jane packaging instead of premium wooden case, and a few other things. According to Oppo the actual sound quality should b very, very close between the two.

Aug 8, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #40 of 743
Sounds good thx for the info. If the drivers and the internal cup padding are 100% the same, the sound should be the same too. And I do not necessarily need all that bling. Hopefully I can try them in a shop soon.

Aug 8, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #41 of 743

Just received them in the mail after winning the pair at the NorCal headfi meet! Thanks oppo! After talking to their reps they said the only difference in between the pm1 and 2 is really just cosmetics and should sound the same as pm1. So far just listening off fiio x3 they sound great and have incredible imaging. Can't go in detail bout sound but comfort level is right up there w the 650's if not better. I can't wait till I get home and listen to them on the lyr2.

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:39 AM Post #43 of 743
Got the PM-2 on its way to my suite in the US and then sent onward to myself in Australia. Can't wait to hear them.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #44 of 743
I think PM-1 owners are going to like the new PM-1 (PM-2 tuned) pads.  After listening to my PM-2 for 24hrs, I tried the velour pads from the PM-1 and the sound lost clarity and the treble edge it had with the PM-2 pads, and to my ears the sound was muffled/veiled, removed them and went back to the stock pads.  The stock pads are more open sounding with more air and a little sparkle!

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #45 of 743
  I think PM-1 owners are going to like the new PM-1 (PM-2 tuned) pads.  After listening to my PM-2 for 24hrs, I tried the velour pads from the PM-1 and the sound lost clarity and the treble edge it had with the PM-2 pads, and to my ears the sound was muffled/veiled, removed them and went back to the stock pads.  The stock pads are more open sounding with more air and a little sparkle!

Thanks for posting, that was very helpful!  How do the PM-2 pleather pads compare to the PM-1 leather pads as far as comfort goes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back