Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #3,632 of 3,729
PM3 is closed PM1 is open so a significantly wider soundstage. With the right music a 3d presentation of the music is easily achievable. I would audition before any final choice.

May 9, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #3,633 of 3,729
The PM-1 was delivered about a week ago.
They are built very decent and fit comfortable to my head.

I listened to them for about 10-20 hours or so. My Benchmark DAC2 HGC and Astell & Kern AK70 DAP both drive them nicely.
Sound quality is very good imo. They aren't 'best in class' in any aspect soundquality-wise. but they don't have any flaws and that makes them great imo.
Impression for their sound quality does not come immediately when you put them on, but they definately impress after listening to them a bit longer..

I like them!! :)

Last edited:
May 9, 2018 at 8:11 PM Post #3,635 of 3,729
If anyone on this thread interested in selling original leather pads for PM1 in excellent condition please PM me.

Update....I emailed Oppo for twice asking them if they had any left over for sale. First attempt, I was simply told that they no longer sell them. A few weeks later, I attempted for a second time and one nice person there went above and beyond and found a new set of original leather pads “laying around” on a shelf and sold them to me at their normal price of $60. Awesome.

Last edited:
May 14, 2018 at 6:45 AM Post #3,636 of 3,729
Now running the Oppo PM-1 directly from the output of my laptops on-board soundcard. It still sounds very nice actually. My Benchmark DAC2 HGC and Astell&Kern AK70 sound a bit more clean/refined, but the difference is nog very big. This headphone is very easy to drive, apparantly..

Lovely headphone :)

Edit:
Well after a few hours on the on-board soundcard I change my opinion. It can be powered like this but using a high quality source is definately better. Definately more accurate & clean & smooth sounding..

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 4:26 PM Post #3,637 of 3,729
Where can i get a full length headphone cable in the UK? A backup due to oppo closing down.

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #3,639 of 3,729
I had the PM 1 with me for a time and I have to agree, they really seem to not doing anything wrong (or at least not overly so) and so much right giving them a very enjoyable and musical rightness. They are so comfortable and never, ever offended my ears and often were absolutely amazing to hear. Really a very nice headphone and now that they aren't being made (if I recall the article I read correctly) they are worthy collector headphones as the combination of their strengths against their weaknesses makes for a very favourable ratio. Again, this is all subjective, some people will not like them, others will simply love them, what matters is how you feel about them. Personally, if I could have owned the PM1 when I had the chance, I would have been very happy to have had it. Nice headphone.

Jul 1, 2018 at 11:48 PM Post #3,640 of 3,729
Oppo® having discontinued production, I've a hunch that all the PM-series will become collectors' items. I ended up ruling the PM-3 out of further consideration in my own search for headsets for my two 'puters simply due to their audio cards' internal head-amp power - the Creative Laboratories® SB1550 (which is rated for a 600Ω load) in the ASUS® CM1630-06 as upgraded finished off my worn-out-after-a-decade Plantronics® GAMECOM® 380.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #3,641 of 3,729
Oppo® having discontinued production, I've a hunch that all the PM-series will become collectors' items. I ended up ruling the PM-3 out of further consideration in my own search for headsets for my two 'puters simply due to their audio cards' internal head-amp power - the Creative Laboratories® SB1550 (which is rated for a 600Ω load) in the ASUS® CM1630-06 as upgraded finished off my worn-out-after-a-decade Plantronics® GAMECOM® 380.

One of the reasons they weren't quite that populat, in my honest opinion, was comfort. I loved the sound of their headphones, but the comfort was not very good, especially since you couldn't change the earpads.

Jul 2, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #3,642 of 3,729
I found my PM3 to have been very comfortable, but different head and ear sizes make a difference I'm sure.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #3,643 of 3,729
Any ideas for a genuine pm1 cable in UK?

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #3,645 of 3,729
Absolutely :)

I trust a lot of people will have found them very comfortable, just, I didn't and I fear that this might have been an issue why Oppo decided to stop making them (?)
Maybe I'm missing something, was the PM3 discontinued long before Oppo announced they were stopping all of their audio line? I had assumed that they stopped selling the PM3 first as they would run out of stock first as it was clearly the more popular (affordable quality so no surprise) so there would be stock of the PM1 and 2 for longer. Now I'm taking an educated guess here, but I suspect that Oppo knew long before the official announcement that they were ceasing production of the audio line so the PM3 went out of stock first would be my guess. Again, I could be completely wrong. Just ask my girlfriend, she'll tell you that I frequently am wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back