Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #3,661 of 3,729
I think it's going to be an uphill struggle trying to pool together pm1 owners in the hope of resurrecting this thread.

Jun 29, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #3,662 of 3,729
I think it's going to be an uphill struggle trying to pool together pm1 owners in the hope of resurrecting this thread.
What a shame, but true. I'll bet if Oppo headphones were still being made it would be very different.

Jun 29, 2019 at 3:41 PM Post #3,663 of 3,729
What a shame, but true. I'll bet if Oppo headphones were still being made it would be very different.
You know how it is when your cans are no longer FOTM. My PM1s have had extended down time until I bought a new dac. Schiit Audio's Multi-Bit Gungnir. If anyone says that the pm-1s do not scale well haven't heard them with this dac. Actually all my headphones have gotten re-listening duty after this dac got installed. They all have improved and the pm-1's especially so. I run the pm1 balanced with two different length cables that Oppo sold for awhile and I think most users don't realize how much better the pm1 performs in balanced mode. They just sound spectacular now. I hope other users of this fine headphone will join in and share their experiences and keep these beauties relevant.

Jun 30, 2019 at 3:04 AM Post #3,664 of 3,729
Anyone know where to get hold of any additional pads from? I tried Oppo twice and got no reply :frowning2:
Also seen some on eBay from the US but not sure they are genuine or not?

Jun 30, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #3,665 of 3,729
Try oppo usa direct.

Also what advantages does balanced give?

Jul 27, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #3,666 of 3,729
Just bought an Oppo PM-1 on eBay. These headphones are really something else. In the past I've owned Focal Utopias, HD800, HD800S, etc. and I don't remember enjoying their sound signature like I do the PM-1's. On the well produced CDs e.g. Paul Simon's Greatest Hits, the instruments sound realistic & the subtle background percussions can be heard clearly. Best headphones I've heard.

Aug 11, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #3,669 of 3,729
Good session with these last night. My impressions of these will fall in line with what most people have said on these pages, but the highlight for me is the spherical headstage with great layering in all directions with sound coming at you from everywhere. This is under pinned with weighty lows although for me the highs are a little reticent. This isn't necessarily always a bad thing, as when for example listening to Orblivion by The Orb, can sound a little sharp on my HD800 sdr. On the Oppo you just hear more of the delicious gloopy layered sounds the Orb are famous for.

Have tried these on the Teton with various power tubes but the Antares allows them to breath a little more. Not massive differences though.
Definitely interested in hearing a pair of PMx2 after this, they have piqued my interest in the planer sound again. It's a long time ago since I owned the pre fazor LCD-2 but the Oppo have reminded me of that presence band magic.

Aug 11, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #3,670 of 3,729
Do you think the pm1 benefits from real high end gear like the chord tt2? currently using with hugo 2 with great results.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:28 PM Post #3,671 of 3,729
I have these for a
Do you think the pm1 benefits from real high end gear like the chord tt2? currently using with hugo 2 with great results.

Not really. Personally i use it mostly with my A&K AK70. I also have used it with my iPhone, O2/ODAC and Benchmark DAC2 HGC. Imo an advantage of the PM1 is that it can be driven adequately with a decent mobile player (like the AK70). It doesn’t sound much less or better when driven by low- or high-end gear. Its just not that hard to drive..

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #3,672 of 3,729
When i went from a hugo 2 on its own to a hugo 2 with a 3.5K mscaler the difference with the PM1 across the spectrum of musical qualities improved greatly. This would negate your findings. There seems to be differing opinions on this point. I can only go with what i've heard. Also going from imac direct to a mojo was definitely night/day. The argument stating an improve in dac quality is what makes the PM1 really shine rather than reserves of power has come up many times.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 6:50 PM Post #3,673 of 3,729
When i went from a hugo 2 on its own to a hugo 2 with a 3.5K mscaler the difference with the PM1 across the spectrum of musical qualities improved greatly. This would negate your findings. There seems to be differing opinions on this point. I can only go with what i've heard. Also going from imac direct to a mojo was definitely night/day. The argument stating an improve in dac quality is what makes the PM1 really shine rather than reserves of power has come up many times.

Like, TBH, I only tried PM1 with much less expensive gear, like the Matrix HPA3 and loved it, not sure how it sounds with more advanced gear. The reason for this is that I do not own PM1, but a friend does, and we tested them together :)

Aug 12, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #3,674 of 3,729
I found that the pm1 earpads are too small for my ears. And after awhile it starts to hurt.

I found the sound forward, narrow and having a small soundstage.

Crystal clear resolution thou. Bright clear treble sound.

Overall, interesting headphone

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2019 at 10:00 PM Post #3,675 of 3,729
Just bought an Oppo PM-1 on eBay. These headphones are really something else. In the past I've owned Focal Utopias, HD800, HD800S, etc. and I don't remember enjoying their sound signature like I do the PM-1's. On the well produced CDs e.g. Paul Simon's Greatest Hits, the instruments sound realistic & the subtle background percussions can be heard clearly. Best headphones I've heard.
Nice, sounds like you found the headphones that were made for your ears. I've owned the PM-2's since their interdiction and plan on keeping them for the long run. Still think the Utopia's on a whole different level when comes to realism and unfortunately price as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back