Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #3,616 of 3,729
i'll try those if i can. do they need amping as the audeze site states can be driven by laptop etc?

Welp, they are easier to drive than Beyerdynamic Amiron, volume alone, LCD-MX4 gets louder with less volume, and requires less care with source than your typical Audeze headphone, which used to require dedicated DACs and AMPs

I am not sure if driven by a laptop is absolutely true though, I think I still would take a FiiO Q5 DAC/AMP with FiiO AMP5 to drive them closer to their full potential, rather than use a laptop for them. But an Opous #1s can surely drive them well!

Feb 28, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #3,617 of 3,729
What about hugo2/dave how would they scale up? would they reveal the full potential of these chord dacs?

Mar 11, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #3,619 of 3,729
Does anyone know where to get a balanced portable cable for the PM-1/PM-2? Not looking for anything fancy, something like the regular "portable" Oppo Cable will do. (But with a 2.5mm TRRS at the end, for Pioneer XDP-300)

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #3,621 of 3,729
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Apr 3, 2018 at 6:50 PM Post #3,622 of 3,729
Just read the sad news about OPPO, these headphones worth picking up before they're gone? My daily drivers are DT 1990.

Apr 3, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #3,623 of 3,729
Just read the sad news about OPPO, these headphones worth picking up before they're gone? My daily drivers are DT 1990.

The sound alone is a strong maybe, but the comfort.........

The ergonomics of DT1990 and Amiron are golden, while the comfort of PM-1 PM-2 and PM-3 have is different, much smaller pads, square pads (why?), and shallow pads.

The sonics might be worth the effort, as PM-1 has a really nice midrange and treble, while for bass, I'm not sure which you might prefer.

How do you feel about DT1990? Why do you want to change them?

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:21 AM Post #3,624 of 3,729
:frowning2: The PM-3 might have been a to-consider, had I a system with low output for the headphone jack. However, both my rigs are set up with head-amps that can do 600Ω loads - the ASUS® CM1630's current Creative Laboratories® SB1550 finished off my Plantronics® GAMECOM® 380's, and I'm looking for a headset in the 120Ω ballpark as a replacement.

Apr 5, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #3,625 of 3,729
:frowning2: The PM-3 might have been a to-consider, had I a system with low output for the headphone jack. However, both my rigs are set up with head-amps that can do 600Ω loads - the ASUS® CM1630's current Creative Laboratories® SB1550 finished off my Plantronics® GAMECOM® 380's, and I'm looking for a headset in the 120Ω ballpark as a replacement.

You cranked the volume so high that it burned the headphone, or you plugged the headphone in the line out? Under most circumstances, it should be virtually impossible to burn a headphone unless you really either give it a way too high voltage, like if you don't need hearing anymore, but otherwise, it is hard to burn a headphone

Why not change the DAC/AMP you're using?

PM-3 is a good value in the long run, and I think it responds well to better sources

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:07 AM Post #3,626 of 3,729
I just received my pair of like new PM1 from a fellow Head-fier. Beautiful looks, build quality and sound! As owner of almost every Audeze Lcd headphone and the
Hifiman HE-6 and HE-1K headphones, the PM1 certainly compete with them all. They are rich, lush, smooth, and yet detailed as played on Wells
Audio Headtrip and Cambridge Audio 851N streamer/Dac. I’m enjoying their fatigue free sound very much. Through my setup, there is plenty of
strong, quality bass. I say this as a Audeze bass fan. I’ve been experimenting with the 3 different earpads. I’m tossed between the original leather pads and the velour.
I know, this goes against Tyll’s recommendation of using the alternative leather pads for best freq response. They are slightly more open sounding than the others, but the others pull off that rich, lush sound that I like a bit more without sounding dull and boring. I’ll continue to play around with them. I cannot imagine any fan of Audeze not liking these as they both are generally rich and lush with their own unique and effective approaches to achieve those goals.

Apr 15, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #3,629 of 3,729
do these have any soundstage depth and out of the head experience similar to that of the philips x2? i own an lcd2f that actually has absolut zero soundstage and specially depth and layering, so i wonder, how the oppo compares in this regard.

Apr 15, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #3,630 of 3,729
The oppo presentation is quite intimate akin to being sat in the first row next to the conductor. At first the soundstage seems limited until you learn to understand that this type of presentation was the intention of the designers. Imagine the intimacy of jazz vocals but also being within arms reach of the singer. Would a hd800 out of head experience work in this case?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back