Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 22, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,066 of 3,729
Doesn't Buffer's post say otherwise about what they are driven from?

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #1,067 of 3,729
  Shame the PM1s are so easy to drive and forgiving of upstream setups, otherwise the High-End Audio subforum would welcome these with open arms probably.

LOL  You're probably right.  

There are those who want to tinker and jump through hoops, sometimes with uber-expensive components, to tame that which resists taming.  

I'm tired of that, frankly. I don't mind spending money - but I want it to be more of a plug-n-play experience!  
biggrin.gif

I'm trying to wean myself of incessantly tweaking stuff.  I just want to listen...

Apr 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM Post #1,068 of 3,729
A question for you electrical engineers out there. My amp has selectable output impedances of 120, 28 and 11 ohms. Which one technically would seem to be the best fit with the PM-1, which has a nominal impedance of 32 ohms.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #1,070 of 3,729
  Good comments from Buffer. I posted some impressions a few days ago, and opined that I liked the PM-1 as a second phone to my HD-800. While I still hold that opinion, I think the PM-1s are opening up with increased use and the gap is closer. I think Buffer hit on a lot of PM-1 strengths, such as the organic nature of the sound, the image size and instrument placement, the holographic-like imaging. I think we all need to find the right DAC/amp pairings for the Oppo. Right now, we all have stuff that we have selected for other headphones. The PM-1s are doing fine on that equipment. I suspect paired with the right equipment they could really give the other $1K+ headphones a strong challenge.

I would be interested in more impressions about amp pairings. Is there a preferred amp for this hp or does it seem to be more like an lcd and work well on about anything? I have the lyr and wonder it that amp will overpower the pm-1. Seems like the Vali might be a good match for the money if not a touch on warm side. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #1,071 of 3,729
  A question for you electrical engineers out there. My amp has selectable output impedances of 120, 28 and 11 ohms. Which one technically would seem to be the best fit with the PM-1, which has a nominal impedance of 32 ohms.

Technically none they all too high but since 11 is the lowest so you should use it

I was under the impression that since planars were purely resistive, they aren't influenced by output impedance, and therefore don't have damping factors that dynamics do.

Is that correct or incorrect?

If correct, it doesn't matter which output impedance you select from a technical standpoint.  Select the one that sounds the best if it alters the sound in any way.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:39 AM Post #1,072 of 3,729
I was under the impression that since planars were purely resistive, they aren't influenced by output impedance, and therefore don't have damping factors that dynamics do.

Is that correct or incorrect?

If correct, it doesn't matter which output impedance you select from a technical standpoint.  Select the one that sounds the best if it alters the sound in any way.

If you are correct, you still want a low output impedance on your amp, Too high , will impact the amount of power it can supply to your headphone.

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,073 of 3,729
  Shame the PM1s are so easy to drive and forgiving of upstream setups, otherwise the High-End Audio subforum would welcome these with open arms probably.

These have way too good price/performance ratio to be in the High-End forum
rolleyes.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #1,075 of 3,729
^ wouldn't take beagle's comment too seriously. all the high-end cans i've heard are extremely resolving and extract oodles of detail from recordings - they just present it differently.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,076 of 3,729
This page is very telling, especially Buffer's comments.
Pretty much nailed it.
I have the opinion that my pm-1 are extremely natural and realistic in the mids where a lot of cans end up having their own signature.

Also the PM1 have a brighter livelier edge on my portable setup with the leathers on,
So I would say the differences noted in this thread are due to source setups.
Regardless, these cans are always natural and realistically smooth or organic.

Even though they are high sensitivity and work with portables,
I am starting to think they would impress further in a solid state setup with more current.

Why? Because they need a *edit* definite boost in highs to reach hd800 brightness.
As is, I would consider trebles very neutral and not elevated or recessed compared to the mids..
Edit:
They do leave me wanting more of their smooth trebles,
But I never EQ, and my setup I consider neutral.
I have woo wa7 with upgraded tubes and Arcam irdac.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #1,077 of 3,729
I definitely think the PM-1 sounds natural, but neutral is the different concept altogether, and I think a couple people might be confusing the two. They're definitely on a warmer side of neutral, but because of that they sounds much more natural with a wider range of equipment than, say, an HD800.

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #1,078 of 3,729
Also they do not have that extra visceral oomph on my setup,
that I herd at NY meet with woo new PSU..

Apr 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,079 of 3,729
I definitely think the PM-1 sounds natural, but neutral is the different concept altogether, and I think a couple people might be confusing the two. They're definitely on a warmer side of neutral, but because of that they sounds much more natural with a wider range of equipment than, say, an HD800.
Exactly. .

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM Post #1,080 of 3,729
This page is very telling, especially Buffer's comments.
Pretty much nailed it.
I have the opinion that my pm-1 are extremely natural and realistic in the mids where a lot of cans end up having their own signature.

Also the PM1 have a brighter livelier edge on my portable setup with the leathers on,
So I would say the differences noted in this thread are due to source setups.
Regardless, these cans are always natural and realistically smooth or organic.

Even though they are high sensitivity and work with portables,
I am starting to think they would impress further in a solid state setup with more current.

Why? Because they need a *edit* definite boost in highs to reach hd800 brightness.
As is, I would consider trebles very neutral and not elevated or recessed compared to the mids..
Edit:
They do leave me wanting more of their smooth trebles,
But I never EQ, and my setup I consider neutral.
I have woo wa7 with upgraded tubes and Arcam irdac.

I have been listening for several days on a master-gd 8 amp fed by a mytek stereo192-DSD dac.  Thats a powerful solid state amp with a very (IMHO) bright DAC.  I don't find the OPPOs coming anywhere near the HD800s in terms of brightness so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back