Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 23, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,096 of 3,729
I heard them before they came out.  I mentioned this earlier in the thread.  As far as I know, the version I heard was the 2nd iteration of the pre-production.  Somebody who has heard both the current production and the version I heard (I think side by side) said the current version sounds more rolled off in the treble.  I believe him as I thought they had more treble than what has shown up in measurements for the production version.  My biggest positive for the unit I heard was the frequency response, but if the treble issue ends up being true then I don't think these would have much of anything going for them for me personally aside from the nice looks.  I didn't like the closed in soundstage, and I really didn't like how slow and 'undetailed' they sounded.  The lack of detail in particular is why I'd hesitate to say these should be considered high end.

I'm thinking of getting a pair just to try them without that plastic thing covering the drivers and either leaving the driver assembly exposed or damped with a thin layer of open cell foam.  At the very least that should help with the soundstage a little.

So no! Is the answer. 'Somebody'' who has heard both pre and current production side by side ''you think'' said this. Oh my :rolleyes:

Can we please keep this to an Impressions Thread as in the title instead of people who haven't even heard them chiming in...

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,097 of 3,729
Also they do not have that extra visceral oomph on my setup,
that I herd at NY meet with woo new PSU..

+1
This is what I was looking for but was unable to get even with help of professional EQ but be aware that I don't know how to interpret measurements or to use parametric EQ so maybe that's why i wasn't successful

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #1,098 of 3,729
So no! Is the answer. 'Somebody'' who has heard both pre and current production side by side ''you think'' said this. Oh my
rolleyes.gif

Can we please keep this to an Impressions Thread as in the title instead of people who haven't even heard them chiming in...

Person who heard the pre production version gives glowing review -> gets thanked for the impressions, has people ask him for more detail about the praise
Person who heard the pre production version cites negatives to the headphone's sound signature -> gets called clueless, has people imply he knows nothing about what the headphone sounds like

Can you tell me what you think has changed in between the two revisions that has made my impressions completely worthless?  The changes would have to be drastic.  ie. rare earth magnets changed to neodymium magnets, single ended magnetic drive changed to balanced magnetic drive, having nothing in front of the driver changed to the S Logic contraption (which was there in the pre-prod also), etc.  They wouldn't gradually revise the headphone and then change their minds and release something completely different at the last second.  That'd be an enormous waste of resources, time, money, research, and tooling, and they've been around too long to do something that dumb.

Apr 23, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #1,099 of 3,729
Can you tell me what you think has changed in between the two revisions that has made my impressions completely worthless? 

"Impressions" would imply that you had actually heard the production version at least which you admit you haven't. For someone with as many posts as you I'm surprised that you are borderline trolling.

MODS, PLEASE CAN WE GET THIS BACK ON TRACK!

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #1,100 of 3,729
+1
This is what I was looking for but was unable to get even with help of professional EQ but be aware that I don't know how to interpret measurements or to use parametric EQ so maybe that's why i wasn't successful

Yes and from memory the pm-1 at the meet did not really sound like mine.
Maybe the other had much more break in.

Also as far as the decision of the final signature having less treble energy,
I can only comment on the pair I have, which I believe stuck a true sonic naturalness in the mids I haven't herd since I listened to my Audio Technica woodies.
I am only talking about the sonic character of the mids.

Personally I do wish it had more treble energy (north of neutral),
and plus that oomph I herd at the NY meet.
Then to me it would be end game because I love that midrange naturalness. .

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #1,102 of 3,729
  Can you explain this please?  I've heard pretty much every single headphone mentioned in the high end forums (including electrostats, orthos, and dynamics - both in current production and long out of production) as well as owned many of them for long periods of time and with a multitude of amps powering them.

You're making this a personal crusade for some reason.  Let people have their opinions.  If you have a counter argument there's nothing wrong with that - just make an effort to offer some substance to your posts.

Yeah I can explain it. Perhaps you could purchase a current production version, run it in for a while, spend some time with it, and then make your bold predictions of it being one of the top overrated headphones in about a year....spending a few minutes at a meet, then using someone else's views to form your own does not cut it. There...have some substance
rolleyes.gif

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #1,103 of 3,729
n3rdling: I'm going to agree with the others: Can we please have this thread for impressions of the current production version?  There are people who are going to think they are great and there are people who are going to buy them and regret it. The same thing has happened with every other pair of headphones out there! Like you though, I'm curious to try the current version.

A good idea though would be if people, when writing impressions, included the music they listened to and whether they listen quietly, at moderate levels or loud. Those factors, IMO, are the most important. 

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #1,104 of 3,729
I don't understand all the angst towards the PM-1 - especially from people that haven't heard it.

I've watched a few product releases lately, specifically the Alpha Dogs and HE560s, and both were met with open arms.  All they had to do was live up to the hype.

The PM-1's on the other hand seemed to have been found guilty until proven innocent.

This mob mentality is tiring... I'm with SpudHarris on this one...for an impressions thread, it would be nice to read more impressions instead of sifting through 70+ pages of mainly speculation and unwarranted negativity.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #1,105 of 3,729
  I don't understand all the angst towards the PM-1 - especially from people that haven't heard it.

I've watched a few product releases lately, specifically the Alpha Dogs and HE560s, and both were met with open arms.  All they had to do was live up to the hype.

The PM-1's on the other hand seemed to have been found guilty until proven innocent.

This mob mentality is tiring... I'm with SpudHarris on this one...for an impressions thread, it would be nice to read more impressions instead of sifting through 70+ pages of mainly speculation and unwarranted negativity.

I know exactly why; I'm one of the HE560 tester/reviewers and so I have a pretty good idea of what's different between the PM1 reception and HE560 reception.

The difference is in how the testers/reviewers "fed" information to the Head-fi masses.

If you take at look at the first post of the HE560 thread I made, as well as skim through the first...oh 15-20 pages, you'll see that myself and the couple others who are testers tried to give AS comprehensive and objective coverage as possible, I was bombarded with questions for days, and tried to answer all of them to the best of my extent. Also compiled them into coherent impressions/review in the first post afterward. That more or less sated the folks and everyone was happy.

The PM1 thing, on the other hand...literally every beta tester / reviewer was tightlipped initially, except maybe @bigshot , and the unfortunate thing is, bigshot is a speaker guy with a very, VERY different background to this hobby than almost everyone else here, so even though he tried his best answering all the inquiries and filling up information, people had a tough time relating to his thought process, or even in some cases believing him. Doubt/suspicion turned to hostility (there have been more than 1 moderator wipes here already). That basically put a sour mood on everything PM1-related since then.

That's just my observation.

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #1,106 of 3,729
I ordered a pair and they will be here on Friday.  I plan on comparing them to my T1.  I will be interested in Acoustic, Classical and Jazz, the majority of my music, but I listen to a lot of other genres.  I am setup with both a tube amp and ss, with the ss being a couple of Denon AVR's...all three are setup for speaker taps, and they sound very good with every headphone I have tried so far, so it will be interesting.  My ears need to hear them on my setup, then I have 30 days to decide if they are keepers.  HE-560 are on preorder, and will take part in the competition soon, I hope!

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #1,107 of 3,729

I know exactly why; I'm one of the HE560 tester/reviewers and so I have a pretty good idea of what's different between the PM1 reception and HE560 reception.

The difference is in how the testers/reviewers "fed" information to the Head-fi masses.

If you take at look at the first post of the HE560 thread I made, as well as skim through the first...oh 15-20 pages, you'll see that myself and the couple others who are testers tried to give AS comprehensive and objective coverage as possible, I was bombarded with questions for days, and tried to answer all of them to the best of my extent. Also compiled them into coherent impressions/review in the first post afterward. That more or less sated the folks and everyone was happy.

The PM1 thing, on the other hand...literally every beta tester / reviewer was tightlipped initially, except maybe @bigshot , and the unfortunate thing is, bigshot is a speaker guy with a very, VERY different background to this hobby than almost everyone else here, so even though he tried his best answering all the inquiries and filling up information, people had a tough time relating to his thought process, or even in some cases believing him. Doubt/suspicion turned to hostility (there have been more than 1 moderator wipes here already). That basically put a sour mood on everything PM1-related since then.

That's just my observation.

+1....I think @headphoneaddict posted about as much as anyone about his PM-1 impressions!

Apr 23, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,108 of 3,729
  A good idea though would be if people, when writing impressions, included the music they listened to and whether they listen quietly, at moderate levels or loud. Those factors, IMO, are the most important.

Good point.

The Oppo just keeps getting better. I was listening to a combo of stuff last night....a lot of vinyl.....(low to moderate volume) and I was hearing smooth, natural treble...then I did a German pressing of John Martyn's "Grace and Danger" and the Oppo got bright! So I think the PM-1 is just telling it like it is. Some cans do cut off the top end at a certain point (ADL H118 is a good example) and you can't hear the different presentations/characteristics of treble/space/air on individual recordings.....but the PM-1 seems to provide what is there, not rolling it off as a defined coloration.

Apr 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #1,110 of 3,729

Yeah I can explain it. Perhaps you could purchase a current production version, run it in for a while, spend some time with it, and then make your bold predictions of it being one of the top overrated headphones in about a year....spending a few minutes at a meet, then using someone else's views to form your own does not cut it. There...have some substance
rolleyes.gif

Ordered.  I'll get them in a couple days.  It will be interesting to hear how drastically these have changed after 1 or 2 revisions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back