Oppo PM-1 Planar Magnetic Headphone Impressions Thread
Apr 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #376 of 3,729
I read the first 5 pages of this thread and then gave up. Does it contain any actual listening impressions or reviews yet? If so, can someone please tell me what page?

Basically just check any of the posts that BigShot1 has made, or more recently, a post from Harris (who was using the OPPO PM-1 with the OPPO HA-1) and Maxx134 (who had impressions from the New York Head-Fi meet).

Apr 7, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #377 of 3,729

With all due respect, I don't understand the logic of your statement ? Surely they've released these two products to tie in with one another ?......although obviously you can buy one, without the other ! I don't think Oppo's thinking would have been, " we need to think about how these can benefit other audio products " ??

It is happenstance that the PM-1 and the HA-1 will be releasing around the same time. If you want to get technical, OPPO already has a headphone amplifier in the form of the BDP-105. The BDP-105 can comfortably drive the PM-1 headphones because of their high efficiency. The PM-1 does not need a Class-A amplifier to sound good.

The purpose of the HA-1 is to capture additional sales that would otherwise be going to another audio manufacturer. Even if the HA-1 is being used to drive competitor headphones from Audeze, HiFi Man, or Sennheiser, the OPPO branding and experience is still there. This will pay dividends in the future, not just for OPPO headphones, but for other products that OPPO dreams up in the years to come.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #378 of 3,729
Of course, I'm just mortified that Oppo didn't send ME a set in U.K., as the person who's the oldest Planar user on here! Having posted a few times about how good Wharfdale Isos STILL are, I could give them a boost here in Europe (not that Oppo NEED a boost here!)
Still wading my way throught the pages on this string.
Maybe they'll send me a cheaper/plastic set to compare, as the Wharfies are-of course, plastic cased.
I've had mine since 1973! So it follows that my aged ears will not hear the extremes of frequency but will appreciate the quality, plus the nuances!
They get used in bed most nights, so need to be comfortable.
Lovely to see these finally.

(Hope Oppo appreciate my humour!)

Chris in Bristol, U.K.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #379 of 3,729
Quote:
The reason that the beta test period took so long was that Oppo was taken our comments about comfort VERY seriously. They made several modifications to the clamping pressure, pads and balance throughout the testing period. At every step, it got more and more comfortable. The final shipping version is EXTREMELY comfortable, and the weight of these cans isn't at all excessive. I could easily forget I'm wearing them. If headphones are your main way of listening to music, that is very important. No compromises there.

I was just curious....how did Oppo select the beta testers? Was it on a volunteer basis?

The PSB and NAD headphones were designed and tested by Paul Barton, who has designed and tested loudspeakers for over 30 years. He knew the sound he was looking for.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #380 of 3,729

It is happenstance that the PM-1 and the HA-1 will be releasing around the same time. If you want to get technical, OPPO already has a headphone amplifier in the form of the BDP-105. The BDP-105 can comfortably drive the PM-1 headphones because of their high efficiency. The PM-1 does not need a Class-A amplifier to sound good.

The purpose of the HA-1 is to capture additional sales that would otherwise be going to another audio manufacturer. Even if the HA-1 is being used to drive competitor headphones from Audeze, HiFi Man, or Sennheiser, the OPPO branding and experience is still there. This will pay dividends in the future, not just for OPPO headphones, but for other products that OPPO dreams up in the years to come.

Thank-you Hastur.  Or do you prefer yellow?

I could not have answered this any better. Oppo simply does not do anything capriciously- ever.  They targeted the mid-to-upper niche with upconverting DVD players many years ago, and dominated.  When they entered, or created, the market for Universal Blu-ray players, they dominated to the point that other companies put the Oppo player into a new chassis and called it their own, sometimes with modification, sometimes without, and charged many times the price.

Look at the spec of the HA-1.  It is designed to work with virtually any source- including bluetooth, and any headphone outside of electrostatics.  It is also no accident that they are having speaker experts like BigShot beta test the PM-1, because they are targeting the potential customer base outside of the normal Head-Fi customer base.

And if you think things are crazy now, wait until the Objectivists from the AVS Forum and Audioholics start pitching camp in Head-fi. In my opinion, those are the folk that Oppo is going after, and we might see a few of the stalwarts from home theater land invade personal audio.

The PM-1 may be a flagship caliber headphone that does not need expensive amps or DACs.  Blasphemy for Head-Fi, and bound to be a little disruptive.

popcorn.gif

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #381 of 3,729
  Of course, I'm just mortified that Oppo didn't send ME a set in U.K., as the person who's the oldest Planar user on here! Having posted a few times about how good Wharfdale Isos STILL are, I could give them a boost here in Europe (not that Oppo NEED a boost here!)
Still wading my way throught the pages on this string.
Maybe they'll send me a cheaper/plastic set to compare, as the Wharfies are-of course, plastic cased.
I've had mine since 1973! So it follows that my aged ears will not hear the extremes of frequency but will appreciate the quality, plus the nuances!
They get used in bed most nights, so need to be comfortable.
Lovely to see these finally.

(Hope Oppo appreciate my humour!)

Chris in Bristol, U.K.

Oppo Digital (USA) only works with people from the 48 states when beta testing.   Cheers!

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #382 of 3,729
I'll wait to see how others post on the extended sub bass.

I can answer that... Based my listening tests with tones, I found that the PM-1 were stone flat from 28Hz all the way up to 1.6kHz. They dropped off at the bottom around 25Hz. That is pretty doggone good bass in my book.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #383 of 3,729
Quote:

I was just curious....how did Oppo select the beta testers? Was it on a volunteer basis?

The PSB and NAD headphones were designed and tested by Paul Barton, who has designed and tested loudspeakers for over 30 years. He knew the sound he was looking for.

Can't speak for the rest of the group... They asked me if I would like to help and I said sure. I really don't know why they picked me, but I had fun and worked hard putting the PM-1s through their paces. I had a great time and found the whole experience to be fascinating.

The Oppos were designed by Igor Lewitzky who designed BG Radia's Planar Magnetic speakers. We beta testers had a chance to correspond with him. He has a lot of experience and expertise in this area.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #384 of 3,729
I've yet to hear a headphone that didn't benefit from good amplification.....unless it was crap to begin with.

There's a first time for everything!

I've never heard headphones as clear and balanced as these before. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a chance to hear them. The fact that they sound just as good without an amp as with is icing on the cake.

Apr 7, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #385 of 3,729
Thread has been reopened. Please stick to the topic, be polite & respectful to the testers or reviewers. And overall, be encouraging rather than discouraging to those who at least have something to share about these headphones.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #387 of 3,729
Thanks for your help, AnakChan

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #388 of 3,729
The P1 Oppo sent me to review arrived today and it was in a very impressive packaging. I listened for a few hours and it took some  hours for it to open up and I changed the pad to the velour. which I prefer with the soundstage and hear more detail as its getting some time in the system. I have all the major planar in my house so will be making some comments regarding all the current contenders. The Oppo P1 is a very nice planar that can work easily with the portable DAP as I listened also on the AK240 today for a while Iam looking forward to posting some impressions and comparisons as the weeks move forward.

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #389 of 3,729
I would personally like to hear more about the fit and comfort of the PM-1 from the beta testers and reviewers.
While a pair of HP need to sound good for sure, comfort is at the top of my list.
I hate when cups are too small and press against the edges of my ears.
I also like that they come with velour covers, as I always find the velour easier on my thentathive thskin :).

Apr 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #390 of 3,729
  I would personally like to hear more about the fit and comfort of the PM-1 from the beta testers and reviewers.
While a pair of HP need to sound good for sure, comfort is at the top of my list.
I hate when cups are too small and press against the edges of my ears.
I also like that they come with velour covers, as I always find the velour easier on my thentathive thskin :).

Along the same lines, I would like to know if any of the beta testers/reviewers tried the PM-1 with glasses on, and how the presence of glasses impact the comfort and fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back