Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Mar 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,246 of 2,563

Oppo : The Microsoft of Headphones.

I admit I lol'd at this one.

So did I… haha

Yeah, Hutnicks - that was a good one!  
biggrin.gif

But which 64-bit OS outsells all the rest?  
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #1,247 of 2,563
Oppo... No news.. No ETA..
No explanation..
Just silence..
Why? :frowning2:

Mar 19, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #1,248 of 2,563
I messaged the local Oppo distributor here in Japan and he mentioned he's off to their factory in China next week. I'll see if he comes back with any new updates.

Mar 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #1,250 of 2,563
Mar 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #1,251 of 2,563
Oppo... No news.. No ETA..
No explanation..
Just silence..
Why?
frown.gif

Indeed....politics aside...I too am extremely disappointed with many things!
Concerning Oppo I am particullarly disappointed

Oppo lost me as a customer with lack of information.  I was very interested....make 
that extremely and was waiting for an announcement and some indication of what
the price would be and how soon!   Nothing just speculation on these pages.

My tax return came and then the Paradox Slant's headed my way, arriving on
Wednesday.

The Paradox Slant's are blowing my mind. Luis is awesome!  They 
do not sound like a closed can although they are.   Read the Headfonia review and
I believe you will get an inkling.  But I believe the slants are better than the regular
Paradox.   

Enough said...to bad the Oppo never gave itself a chance since just not enough information.

Oh well back to listening,

jgwtriode

Mar 22, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #1,252 of 2,563
  I messaged the local Oppo distributor here in Japan and he mentioned he's off to their factory in China next week. I'll see if he comes back with any new updates.

Roger the update on the Oppo® rep.  Keep us posted.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #1,253 of 2,563
I spoke with a guy at Oppo last week.  He said that the HPs are finished being tuned and are going into production soon.  He estimated a couple of months until they were available.  He also said that the price has not been determined.

Mar 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,254 of 2,563
  I spoke with a guy at Oppo last week.  He said that the HPs are finished being tuned and are going into production soon.  He estimated a couple of months until they were available.  He also said that the price has not been determined.

ROFL this company. Complete disaster in this market for them now. They should take notes from HiFiMaN and how they're dealing with the delay etc.

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #1,255 of 2,563
I think that if the product is good and the price matches the performance all will be forgiven on release.
Oppo will probably lose some market share to HiFiMan but the new HE line is nowhere to be seen also.

Mar 24, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #1,257 of 2,563

ROFL this company. Complete disaster in this market for them now. They should take notes from HiFiMaN and how they're dealing with the delay etc.

Depends on what percentage of customers are Head-Fi members.  Outside of headphones, Oppo is pretty huge in the home theater community.  I predict that Oppo will have more customers buying planars for the first time from that side of the hobby, rather than the existing customer base here at Head-Fi.

Many people have under-estimated Oppo since the late 90's when their DVD' players hit the market, and now they are a pretty big player.  They have far more respect than they are getting from this thread at the moment.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #1,258 of 2,563

Any info on how they were tuned, or should we just stay tuned?

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #1,259 of 2,563

Maybe good for them if it's a few more months, as some of the hifiman hype may have died down by then, Oppo wouldnt have to share the spotlight.

I'm glad the price hasn't been set. Last I heard it was supposed to be 1200, but maybe they'll bring the price down to be more competitive with the 560.

It's been a big year for orthos, so it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,260 of 2,563

Thanks for the update.  I reckon that neither Fry's® nor Best Buy® nor Guitar Center® would carry the Oppo® PM-1 when the first FSP examples arrive Stateside sometime in June 2014, as orthodynamics are a bit too boutique even for Best Buy's Magnolia Audio® subsidiary.  That probably means a search for an Authorized Oppo® Sales and Service on the company Website - could be as close as the City (viz., San Francisco), or a long run to the Los Angeles area....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back