Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Mar 15, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #1,216 of 2,563
There is 60 million people in California. Audeze is in California. Lots of head-fi meets in California. If you really wanted to try them I think you could have found a way other than being out $300. Sorry for your loss, but I think this is one that's on you.

Don't worry I tried stores in LA (and it's "only" 13 million people. I'm not driving to SF to try headphones...) and none of them had the LCD-x in stock when they came out. The first store I tried was such a bad experience (in that the guys there were total jackasses) that I didn't even want to try anything else after that.

Mar 15, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #1,217 of 2,563
Originally posted by Focker:

I said this a month or two ago, and feel even more strongly about it now - there just HAS to be something wrong. I don't know if it's inherent in the design, or if they are experiencing a high failure rate, or if a supplier has screwed them, or if the thing is even still a viable project. To miss the estimated availability date by THIS much, you're going to have potential buyers assuming the worst. 

I heard that the rollout is delayed because they hired George R.R. Martin to write the manual.

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:23 AM Post #1,218 of 2,563

I said this a month or two ago, and feel even more strongly about it now - there just HAS to be something wrong. I don't know if it's inherent in the design, or if they are experiencing a high failure rate, or if a supplier has screwed them, or if the thing is even still a viable project. To miss the estimated availability date by THIS much, you're going to have potential buyers assuming the worst. 

I heard that the rollout is delayed because they hired George R.R. Martin to write the manual.

LOL, I had to look up the reference, but funny nonetheless...I think you might be on to something. 

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #1,219 of 2,563

Got a good chuckle, much needed, as this thread has turned into a banter thread.

Good news for me, my local shop (next door to my work) is one step closer to becoming an authorized Oppo dealer. Now I'm starting to pool money, just hoping the HA-1 comes out...

Mar 15, 2014 at 4:11 AM Post #1,220 of 2,563
Got a good chuckle, much needed, as this thread has turned into a banter thread.

Good news for me, my local shop (next door to my work) is one step closer to becoming an authorized Oppo dealer. Now I'm starting to pool money, just hoping the HA-1 comes out...

Just be careful not to look at any other cans funny, or they'll drag your wallet out screaming 
wink.gif

Mar 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #1,222 of 2,563
Mar 15, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #1,224 of 2,563
FIRST I WAS LIKE :beerchug:  "YAY… NEW FROM OPPO….

THEN I WAS LIKE :popcorn:  WAITING PATIENTLY…

THEN :confused: :popcorn:  

THEN TURNED INTO :confused_face(1):

NOW :rolleyes:

I pulled the plug on the 560... I was genuinely interested in the Oppo as they as a company are a big unknown for me...
Unfortunately I couldn't be patient enough...;/

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #1,225 of 2,563
Duke Nukem Forever, anyone?

I will go the HE-560 road first and wait for some impressions of the Oppo while I'm listenig to them
biggrin.gif

Still curious about the HA-1 though....

Is Oppo writing on head-fi like Hifiman does? Would be nice to read a statement

Mar 16, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #1,226 of 2,563
Nooooo lol haven't said a word. I would imagine any company trying to get into the world of headphones would have the knowledge to know that success rate with new brands almost relies initially on being backed by followers. They have none lol. If they make a good headphone then word will eventually spread I suppose.

Mar 17, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,228 of 2,563
From pics in beginning of this thread,
of it alongside a sony7520 I believe,
so it is not a huge can,

But from the webpage I am assuming it is a traditional design with magnets on both sides of the diaphragm,
Soooo, I expect it to be a bit heavier than the new HiFiman HE-400i & HE-560..
To me on an educated guess if it is efficient then I would place it at the HE-500 level but who knows....
Could it match an LCD?
Doubting Thomas says noowaah lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back