Oppo PM-1: A New Planar Magnetic Headphone!
Mar 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #1,186 of 2,563
? They might not be as exquisite but you're getting great sound for cheap. So many headphones get the sound wrong or present music in a way that you have to get use to. The hifiman line offers different flavors that are done right.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #1,187 of 2,563

The 560 will be a good value. It just depends if it's put together like another middle school shop class project. Lcd isn't perfect but those hifimans, man I feel like I could've put them together better myself. Official X owner now and while they are pricey and not perfect they are still pretty damn sublime.

I honestly didn't feel Audeze were of better quality, especially for the price.

Their cable feels terrible, the bumps in the headband are stupid and the size adjustment mechanism makes it very hard to use once on the head...
And the pads are taped to the cups...

Mar 13, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #1,188 of 2,563
I don't really like the looks of the headphones, but that amplifier looks pretty interesting for sure :)

Mar 13, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,189 of 2,563

Their cable feels terrible, the bumps in the headband are stupid and the size adjustment mechanism makes it very hard to use once on the head...

agree

Mar 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #1,192 of 2,563
I don't know what he6 you heard or through what amp but the he6 through the ef6 Is a totally different beast than the 500s and in a positive way. The 500 had more of a compressed, less air, less detailed sound. The 500 has more in your head sound with a slight bit more air than the 400s. The he6 has so much air it's as if you were wearing am astronauts helmet with individual surround sound speakers in it. It's that good at imaging.

Mar 13, 2014 at 11:05 PM Post #1,193 of 2,563
I haven't heard the x but I have heard the xc and that headphone made me feel bad for people that spent that kind of money on it. Not as detailed as the 3. More of a reference, transparent sound but with a hint of glare that showed up in every song. A term I came up with was shouty because it seemed very quick to throw even small dynamics at my ear drum and hurt them. I'm guessing it's just the harmonics reaching treble areas where there are spikes. I had the same problem with the he400 (which I hated) until I modded the pads in my own way by creating an open stuffing structure that dampened the peaks enough for them to be tolerable.

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #1,194 of 2,563
I have the XCs right here and I don't find them shouty (without glare) by any means. Could have been your upstream rig? Where you using a Sabre based DAC? I certainly heard that with many of my headphones when I owned the W4S DAC-2. 

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:47 AM Post #1,195 of 2,563
It is often not as much upstream rig as a different ear channels shape and personal preferences that our hobby is full of so much different opinions.

Mar 14, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #1,196 of 2,563

You seem to have a new criticism of the X every few days lol. 

I notice that you have taken issue with the Xs weight quite a bit, whereas you don't seem to have the same issue with the HE-6. It's really strange to me that a 1.3 lb headphone gives you all sorts of neck and comfort problems whereas a 1.1 headphone doesn't. That's a negligible difference for something worn on the head. 

Just sayin'...

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #1,197 of 2,563
  I notice that you have taken issue with the Xs weight quite a bit, whereas you don't seem to have the same issue with the HE-6. It's really strange to me that a 1.3 lb headphone gives you all sorts of neck and comfort problems whereas a 1.1 headphone doesn't. That's a negligible difference for something worn on the head.

That could easily be put down to different earpad types or different distribution of that weight, though. It might be a negligible difference to you, but something about the X's shape might cause a lot of discomfort to somebody else.

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #1,198 of 2,563
People hear the same just some people look for different things and it's up to them to decide what they prefer more. And it was a Nad or Krell cd player. I actually think it could be the Burson soloist SL I heard it through. It's a clean little energetic amp. When I heard the 500 through the ef6 I actually didn't like it as it seemed to show that the 500 was muffled sounding at the beginning of the attack on some notes but with the Burson the attack always seemed to have an energy that made it sound more clean sounding. Maybe the ef6 was more revealing.

Mar 14, 2014 at 9:20 AM Post #1,199 of 2,563
People hear the same just some people look for different things and it's up to them to decide what they prefer more. And it was a Nad or Krell cd player. I actually think it could be the Burson soloist SL I heard it through. It's a clean little energetic amp. When I heard the 500 through the ef6 I actually didn't like it as it seemed to show that the 500 was muffled sounding at the beginning of the attack on some notes but with the Burson the attack always seemed to have an energy that made it sound more clean sounding. Maybe the ef6 was more revealing.

I found the Soloist SL on the brighter side of things. But not as clean as it's bigger brother. And NAD CD players are far from being "transparent", I would only recommend them as a transport only. On the BDA-2/GS-X Mk2, I would say the XCs sound stupedously good (and are my favourite closed headphones).

Mar 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #1,200 of 2,563

You seem to have a new criticism of the X every few days lol. 

Just sayin'...

That's where weight distribution comes in: the Hifiman are good, the LCD-X wasn't for me.

I feel obliged to bring people back on earth when they hype the LCD-X so much (same would go for any headphone, but the hype for the Audeze is crazy here) that I find it very misleading and - almost like - wrong advertisement.

The LCD-X are very good headphones, there's absolutely no doubt about that, but when I read the LCD-X and EF-6 are a match made in heaven, that I can't let pass.
The LCD-X hiss and is quite boring on this amp. I bought them based on this feedback that it was so good on the EF-6. That's simply not true and I lost $300 for just trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back