OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Dec 6, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #2,536 of 4,883
  Hi, I'm thinking about getting Magni 2 Uber or Asgard 2. I have AKG 7xx and I just ordered ZMF Vibro.

Nice!

I haven't heard either, though I did own the original Asgard for a time.

I've tried the HA2 as DAC for the Valhalla 2, and the Burson Soloist with good results. Headphones used were LCD 2c and HD800. The HA2 delivers great, actuially much better than the original Bifrost which I currently have. Just note, my Bifrost is non-uber, non- MB. Hopefully I can get it upgraded soon. 

I've no doubt that the HA2 will deliver the goods on either of those amps, with the added benefit of being your main portable rig as well. I will post a pic of how I use it in my setup in a bit. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,537 of 4,883

Nice!

I haven't heard either, though I did own the original Asgard for a time.

I've tried the HA2 as DAC for the Valhalla 2, and the Burson Soloist with good results. Headphones used were LCD 2c and HD800. The HA2 delivers great, actuially much better than the original Bifrost which I currently have. Just note, my Bifrost is non-uber, non- MB. Hopefully I can get it upgraded soon. 

I've no doubt that the HA2 will deliver the goods on either of those amps, with the added benefit of being your main portable rig as well. I will post a pic of how I use it in my setup in a bit. 

Oh, that's good to hear :) Pics would be nice too! thanks for your reply.

Dec 6, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #2,538 of 4,883
Using a 3.5 to RCA cable, I route the HA 2 from Line-out to an AV selector box. This is where I route all my sources through. The HA2 is there for convenience when I want to listen without bothering to turn on the Mac Mini.

I could also use the HA2 straight from the Mac Mini, but I sometimes just don't bother, especially if I'm listening to Tidal or Spotify. I do have to say that I need to adjust the volume a little higher on my amps if I use the HA2 as source, but only just a tad. Need a better cable for the HA2 too. Currently, I only use a cable that I had lying around.

And when I'm ready to go to work, I just pick up the HA2 and whichever IEM or portable headphone suits. 

Dec 6, 2015 at 2:03 AM Post #2,539 of 4,883
  Using a 3.5 to RCA cable, I route the HA 2 from Line-out to an AV selector box. This is where I route all my sources through. The HA2 is there for convenience when I want to listen without bothering to turn on the Mac Mini.

I could also use the HA2 straight from the Mac Mini, but I sometimes just don't bother, especially if I'm listening to Tidal or Spotify. I do have to say that I need to adjust the volume a little higher on my amps if I use the HA2 as source, but only just a tad. Need a better cable for the HA2 too. Currently, I only use a cable that I had lying around.

And when I'm ready to go to work, I just pick up the HA2 and whichever IEM or portable headphone suits. 

Thanks for posting the pics, they look great! I'll be using my Macbook as a source at home and for portable, I'm using with iPhone6 Plus.

Dec 6, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #2,541 of 4,883

+1 on this, there is no good reason why any USB2.0 DAC shouldn't work/be compatible with a computer's USB3.0 ports.

I have the HA-2 working flawlessly through both a Macbook Air's and an HP EliteBook's USB3.0 outputs, no problems at all on either OS X El Capitan, or Windows 7.

You say this however I've had first hand experience with the AKJr Review unit not being USB 3.0 Compatible on a Macbook Pro.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #2,542 of 4,883
  You say this however I've had first hand experience with the AKJr Review unit not being USB 3.0 Compatible on a Macbook Pro.

That's mostly because early USB3.0 driver, which is mostly Intel's chipset based, is known to be very buggy when it comes to supporting USB DAC. At some point, they even suggest a workaround by disabling the USB3.0 function (so the port only acts as USB2.0) in BIOS. I do however believe Intel has issued some driver update some time ago and the issue is mostly resolved, though I have not kept track of it.

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #2,543 of 4,883

I said specifically "there is no good reason why..." because there isn't. The USB3 spec/standard was written with full backwards compatibility mandated, any computer or device that doesn't conform isn't performing to the standard.

I also said it specifically in the context of my own first hand experience (like you did), citing the two computers I used, and can now add a third computer, the HA-2 works flawlessly with my Mac mini's USB 3.0 ports as well.

What I dd not say was that it will always work in every instance/equipment combination (but again, it should if everything is performing to spec).

I've also had no problems at all with the USB 3.0 ports on all three of my computers working with the following USB 2.0 DACs:

Musical Fidelity V-DAC II
ADL Stride
Resonessence Labs Herus
LH Labs GO1000
LH Labs GO100 IEM
LH Labs Pulse SFi

Dec 6, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #2,544 of 4,883

That's mostly because early USB3.0 driver, which is mostly Intel's chipset based, is known to be very buggy when it comes to supporting USB DAC. At some point, they even suggest a workaround by disabling the USB3.0 function (so the port only acts as USB2.0) in BIOS. I do however believe Intel has issued some driver update some time ago and the issue is mostly resolved, though I have not kept track of it.

Also quite possible that AKJr review unit had a bad port, or a bad cable, or bad/buggy firmware of it's own.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #2,545 of 4,883
Whats the best settings/cable to get the most out of the ha-2 when using it with ipod or mobile device? I have ipod 6 gn,and a sony z3 wich i have some high rez music on.Using tidal on both ipod and phone with HIFI settings. :)

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #2,546 of 4,883
  Whats the best settings/cable to get the most out of the ha-2 when using it with ipod or mobile device? I have ipod 6 gn,and a sony z3 wich i have some high rez music on.Using tidal on both ipod and phone with HIFI settings. :)

You don't need any extra cable for iPod 6G or Xperia Z3, just use the stock cables included with the HA-2.

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #2,547 of 4,883
Ok.So i get all the cables i need.Thats good :)   Have anybody here tried it with shure se846.On my sony z3 phone i got no hizzes or noises.But when i uses the fiio e07k i got a lot of noise/hizz.

Any recomended settings on th ha-2 when using it with shure 846 ( 9 ohm if im not wrong),and when using it philips fidelio x2/audio technica ath msr7? :)

Dec 7, 2015 at 4:31 AM Post #2,548 of 4,883
ps: How is it to have it in your pocket with your phone?   When i use the fiio e07k and phone together in my pocket,the cable (the otg cable beetwen mobile and fiio) tends to fall out all the time.Very irritating :frowning2:

Dec 7, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #2,549 of 4,883
  ps: How is it to have it in your pocket with your phone?   When i use the fiio e07k and phone together in my pocket,the cable (the otg cable beetwen mobile and fiio) tends to fall out all the time.Very irritating :frowning2:

If you have big pockets and baggy jeans/cargo pants, it could work. Jacket pocket will work as well. Skinny jeans - forget it. :) 

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #2,550 of 4,883
  Ok.So i get all the cables i need.Thats good :)   Have anybody here tried it with shure se846.On my sony z3 phone i got no hizzes or noises.But when i uses the fiio e07k i got a lot of noise/hizz.

Any recomended settings on th ha-2 when using it with shure 846 ( 9 ohm if im not wrong),and when using it philips fidelio x2/audio technica ath msr7? :)

On low gain, you should be fine with SE846. HA-2 has a rather dark background that doesn't pick up much noise.

In that case, you might want to consider getting an extra right angled OTG cable as the stock cable isn't pocket friendly. I used this.

The better solution is to get a waist pouch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back