OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Nov 28, 2015 at 2:20 AM Post #2,506 of 4,883
  This will be the last time I say this, cause I dont want to sound like a broken record..but the synergy this thing has with planers....WOW...every time I fire it up with the LCD-X or HE-400i it just amazes me. It's taken the 400i from a bit of a disappointment (to me) and made it one of my favorite headphones. I don't know if I'd pair the HA-2 with a planar that is harder to drive, but if it's one of the models that is relatively efficient, it's truly something to behold. Full-bodied, rich, 3D audio with a nice tight low end. Really, really impressive. 

Hey, the HA-2 even does an amazing job with the LCD-2 rev.1 (not to mention the PM-1, PM-3, and HD800.)  I don't have a lot of headphones compared to some people, so I'm not trying to take anyone on a tour of my profile, but the fact is those I've just listed all sound great on the Oppo HA-2.  

The HD800 amazes me the most, because it's incompatible with so many desktop amps that I bought and sold, yet not only do I like the way it sounds with the HA-2, I actually prefer how the HD800 sounds on the HA-2 to how it sounds on the Oppo HA-1 desktop rig, single-ended or balanced out.  The HA-1 is king, however, for the inefficient LCD-2 rev.1. Those two are married for life.

In truth, even though the little HA-2 competes well against his big brother, beating him with the HD800, I can squeeze out noticeably better dynamics, with a only a slight loss of transparency by taking a Line Out from the HA-2 to an iBasso PB2, as shown here:

And while I'm throwing the HA-1 under the bus (neglecting to sing its due praises) I'll add that the HA-1's USB receiver is every so slightly grainy compared to the ultra clean USB input of the Oppo HA-2, with every USB source I've tried, including my cleanest - an iPad 3 with CCK > UpTone Audio USB Regen.

iDevices for streaming Tidal Hifi, USB from a Sony Walkman for my FLAC collection, or USB from a Win7 laptop for Tidal or FLAC, I frequently switch between sources and headphones with the HA-2 and it always pleases.

Nov 28, 2015 at 9:37 AM Post #2,508 of 4,883
  This will be the last time I say this, cause I dont want to sound like a broken record..but the synergy this thing has with planers....WOW...every time I fire it up with the LCD-X or HE-400i it just amazes me. It's taken the 400i from a bit of a disappointment (to me) and made it one of my favorite headphones. I don't know if I'd pair the HA-2 with a planar that is harder to drive, but if it's one of the models that is relatively efficient, it's truly something to behold. Full-bodied, rich, 3D audio with a nice tight low end. Really, really impressive. 

I hadn't the chance to listen at LCD-X or HE-400. Planar Magnetic wise  I own the PM-3.
My setups are:

1)iPhone 6 (today 5 clicks down from max) =>iAudioGate 1.06=>HA2 low gain=>PM3

2)Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 =>JRiver Media Center 21 latest build (DSD setup to Bitstream)=>HA2 to low gain=>PM3

Test tracks are Red Tail Guide (David Elias, Crossing), Rosas Cantina (David Munyon, Purple Cadillacs), The Real House Of Rising Sun (Waylon Jennings, Analog Pearls), Cold Shallow (Ranagri, Fort Of The Hare).
All Of them In DSD (native for Elias and Ranagri only).

With first setup DOP it is used and mostly after 15 minutes of listening I end being fatigued and with a good tinnitus. HA2 vol. pot set at slightly less than 4.
With second one DSD is played natively (ASIO) and no tinnitus at all. Perfect sound rendition and pure nirvana. HA2 vol. pot set at 2.5 to get same sound pressure.

So there must be something in setup #1 to be changed, maybe the player (I've Onkyo's own one and Hibiky 3.6 FWIW).

Tips and advices are hotly welcome

Thanks

Nov 29, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,510 of 4,883

I hadn't the chance to listen at LCD-X or HE-400. Planar Magnetic wise  I own the PM-3.
My setups are:

1)iPhone 6 (today 5 clicks down from max) =>iAudioGate 1.06=>HA2 low gain=>PM3

2)Asus ZenBook Pro UX501 =>JRiver Media Center 21 latest build (DSD setup to Bitstream)=>HA2 to low gain=>PM3

Test tracks are Red Tail Guide (David Elias, Crossing), Rosas Cantina (David Munyon, Purple Cadillacs), The Real House Of Rising Sun (Waylon Jennings, Analog Pearls), Cold Shallow (Ranagri, Fort Of The Hare).
All Of them In DSD (native for Elias and Ranagri only).

With first setup DOP it is used and mostly after 15 minutes of listening I end being fatigued and with a good tinnitus. HA2 vol. pot set at slightly less than 4.
With second one DSD is played natively (ASIO) and no tinnitus at all. Perfect sound rendition and pure nirvana. HA2 vol. pot set at 2.5 to get same sound pressure.

So there must be something in setup #1 to be changed, maybe the player (I've Onkyo's own one and Hibiky 3.6 FWIW).

Tips and advices are hotly welcome

Thanks

I use the Gen 5 cranked all the way up but with the HA2 at 3 max using Tidal HIFI with no ear fatigue, the sound is amazing. what happens if you do the same with source all the way up but the HA2 down? This is going to my PM3 as well.

Nov 29, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #2,511 of 4,883
So my HTC One M8 is giving me trouble again. Now when I connect the phone with the OTG cable, it goes into USB Host Mode, the song plays, but I get no audio.

I swapped OTG cables, and the issue persisted.

I switched headphones, same issue.

When I connect to my computer via the Oppo's micro USB, it works fine.

I'm afraid my phone's USB port is failing. Could it be anything else?

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #2,512 of 4,883
So my HTC One M8 is giving me trouble again. Now when I connect the phone with the OTG cable, it goes into USB Host Mode, the song plays, but I get no audio.

I swapped OTG cables, and the issue persisted.

I switched headphones, same issue.

When I connect to my computer via the Oppo's micro USB, it works fine.

I'm afraid my phone's USB port is failing. Could it be anything else?

Go to Developer options and see if the Disable USB audio routing option is accidentally enabled.

Nov 30, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #2,514 of 4,883

I use the Gen 5 cranked all the way up but with the HA2 at 3 max using Tidal HIFI with no ear fatigue, the sound is amazing. what happens if you do the same with source all the way up but the HA2 down? This is going to my PM3 as well.

Thanks for your reply, first.
Put source all way up and HA2 at circa 2.5. With iAudioGate the issue remains and FWIW this software with DoP and DSD generates an audible and very annoying click/pop at the end of every track.
KaiserTone app does NOT generate that click/pop and it has way better audio rendition.
Later I'll play with HiBiki 3.6 too.

Thanks again 

EDIT as of 12/1/2015
With both KaiserTone and Hibiki the issue has been solved, so it was iAudioGate the issue.
I've choosen KT over Hibiki as it offers slightly yet noticeably better audio rendition and integer upsampling (and more functions), ie DSD 2.8->352 and not to 386.

Thanks Howdy

Nov 30, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #2,515 of 4,883
Do update if this works for you.

Would this work:

http://m.belkin.com/us/p/P-F2CU033/

the adapter i linked did not work. it must not be USB OTG compatible. i think it's safe to assume the cable provided by Oppo is indeed USB OTG compatible, therefore the USB Micro to USB C adapter must be the weak link. please post if you find something that works.

Dec 1, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #2,516 of 4,883
Thanks for the tip, Piggy, but disable USB routing is NOT enabled.

I may do a factory reset if the problem persists.

I use Okkyo HF player with its own driver. After listening to a few album I may watch some online video. The video is playing, but no sound.

Restart the HA2 should solve the problem. If not, restart both the LG G3 and the HA2 should work. After closing the Onkyo HF player, it still holding up the system resources.

I do not know what happen in your case, but looks more like a software issue rather than a hardware one. Factory reset may work.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,518 of 4,883
Hi Guys, I'm also planning to buy a Nexus 6P and have concerns with the USB Type C.

Will an adapter like this work with the included micro USB to micro USB included in the HA-2?

http://amzn.to/1Nlpxc7

It may work, but it will probably have the Oppo drain your phone's battery. You need a two-way OTG cable, with a USB C on one end and a micro USB on the other. I'm not sure if anyone is making these yet.

Dec 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #2,519 of 4,883
I use Okkyo HF player with its own driver. After listening to a few album I may watch some online video. The video is playing, but no sound.

Restart the HA2 should solve the problem. If not, restart both the LG G3 and the HA2 should work. After closing the Onkyo HF player, it still holding up the system resources.

I do not know what happen in your case, but looks more like a software issue rather than a hardware one. Factory reset may work.

Hi, thanks for the information! The system restart seems to have worked. Pretty annoying, but I'm glad it wasn't a USB port issue, as I'm holding off on a big price drop for one of the new LG phones (and break free of contract purgatory with AT&T).

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #2,520 of 4,883
this amp/DAC is fantastic. i use it paired with my lh labs geekout V2 to amp out enough to power my HD 600's and it's so clean and beautiful. plenty of headroom

use it as a DAC directly to my Dunu DN2KJ's and it's just as sublime. 

amazing stuff. pairs perfectly with those setups.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back