OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 2, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #691 of 4,883
OPPO reps in the beta forums posted power output levels with THD+N numbers. I don't think the performance of the amp of the HA-2 with the listed specs is something you guys need to worry about and the calculations I did earlier should still be well within good reason (as in the amp shouldn't perform poorly even at the provided power outputs).

Usually power output levels are set at 1% THD+N, which in retrospect is still pretty low.

Agreed. The issues being discussed are the db levels and the fact that a good amp won't help poorly compressed/produced (dynamically) music. The HA-2 would not be the issue here.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:47 PM Post #692 of 4,883
You are correct about pushing the amp too hard, but I really question whether the db level you are listening to is healthy. The e12 is clean and using high gain with the HE-560 is pushing your hearing to the limits, not the amp. You have to be over 100db at those volumes and that should only be listened to for a maximum of 15 minutes or you seriously risk hearing damage.

I don't want to de-rail the HA-2 thread but I feel this is important for everyone to be aware of. Please read this brief article on the subject as far too many people are unaware of the mechanisms of the ear and they expose their ears to damage without realizing it until it's too late.

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

Also a quick chart for exposure time to loud sounds. Most MP3 players with easy to drive headphones create volumes of around 120db. Using the e12 on high gain at full volume to the HE-560 is just nuts. Play now, pay later!

Edit: Also, demanding music is usually considered as complex with many instruments, not poorly compressed dynamics. The better the amp the worse a poorly compressed track will sound, no matter the headroom in the amp, and especially at louder volume.

Thank you for your concern, and at 46 years old I must admit to being surprised that my hearing is good. I do try to turn things down, but at least my listening sessions are typically quite short by head-fi standards (20 - 40 minutes). I did have my hearing tested about 4 years ago and it was well within the normal limits for my age despite years of loud music, plenty o screaming rock concerts and 30 years of playing the drums. I think in the contemporary discussion, even better recordings are still fairly loud and complex multi instrument recordings are also subjected to brick-wall limiting so that is essentially what I was getting at. Again, the more demanding the music, the more the drivers ask the amp to swing with the dynamic load so my point in mentioning amplitude was more along the lines of the constant high magnitude the amp would have to emulate.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:37 AM Post #693 of 4,883
Can i just ask to reconfirm that when using source "C", which is the audio in, it will be bypassing the dac? i assume that this will be using a 3.5mm stereo cable from the headphone/line out of another device?

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #695 of 4,883
Somebody came back to Taiwan from the US with an HA-2 and put it up for sale. I called him a bit too late, as someone was already booked to look at it today. Hopefully that person won't buy it and I can check it out in real life.

Unfortunately for me, that HA-2 was sold. So somebody is enjoying what is likely the first HA-2 in the wild in Taiwan.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #696 of 4,883
They're baaaaaack...
Just peeked at the Oppo webstore and it looks like they are taking pre-orders on
the HA-2 with an estimated ship date of April 8th.
Get em while they're hot!

http://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:27 PM Post #701 of 4,883
can anyone comment on the real world battery life of the ha-2 as a dac/amp when paired with a smartphone? also, is it correct that the ha-2 does not drain the smartphone battery life at all? finally, how long does it take for the ha-2 to charge your phone using the mobile bank and how much charge do you get out of it??

thanks!!!!

Apr 3, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #702 of 4,883
  can anyone comment on the real world battery life of the ha-2 as a dac/amp when paired with a smartphone? also, is it correct that the ha-2 does not drain the smartphone battery life at all? finally, how long does it take for the ha-2 to charge your phone using the mobile bank and how much charge do you get out of it??

thanks!!!!

I might be able to answer your question in about a week. :) I'm going on an extended trip and plan on using the HA-2 exclusively with my iPhone 6 as I travel.

I finally got the time the other day to really play around with it. I can't believe how much these improve my IM-02's when being fed by my iPhone. In my opinion they really pair well together. Then again, this is my first amp/dac combo.. . Anyway, IMHO, if you have an iDevice and look for a good portable amp, I think you should give the HA-2 a strong look.

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #703 of 4,883

thanks!!!!

I bring it to work most days. I can get a good 7-hours with it as DAC/Amp paired with iPhone 4S. It will charge the iPhone in about 30 minutes (from 10% batt remaining). 

While running as DAC / AMP I don't believe it draws any charge from the phone. 

A full charge to the iPhone 4s (from about 10% remaining) from the HA-2 will consume one bar from the HA-2. 

YMMV. 

Apr 3, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #704 of 4,883

thanks!!!!
The battery life numbers on the HA-2 specs are basically what I got.

Playing 24/48 music, high gain, loud volume level, driving the M-100. I'd say that's a pretty real world test.

I got 1.5 charges for my iPhone 4S with a fully-charged HA-2 in about 80 minutes from 0%-100%, but it depends on your device's battery capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back