OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Apr 4, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #721 of 4,883
I'm wondering if the iPod battery drain indicates that the DAC section in the iPod is not being bypassed? I'm curious about this as I might resurrect an old iPod Classic with an HA-2.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #723 of 4,883
  http://headfonics.com/2015/04/the-ha-2-dac-by-oppo/

Wow!  Thanks for that link.  

I find this review to be so true to my own experience with the HA-2, in every combination I have for which he has commented, that I want to start reading this guy, marcusd, regularly.  

Mike

(I'm still using the Beta 3 prototype of the HA-2, but it's supposed to be the same as the released version.)

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #724 of 4,883
  http://headfonics.com/2015/04/the-ha-2-dac-by-oppo/

that was a very solid review!!! thanks for linking. I really enjoyed how he kept the flowery audiophile language to a minimum and focused more on comparisons to other alternatives on the market. much more helpful for consumers than some of the other typical audiophile review that you can't really get much out of as it's hard to gauge the reviewer's preference.

Apr 5, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #725 of 4,883
Apr 5, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #726 of 4,883
  can anyone comment on the real world battery life of the ha-2 as a dac/amp when paired with a smartphone? also, is it correct that the ha-2 does not drain the smartphone battery life at all? finally, how long does it take for the ha-2 to charge your phone using the mobile bank and how much charge do you get out of it??

thanks!!!!

HA-2 does not draw battery from my iPhone 5S, but does draw battery from my iPod classic for some reason.

HA-2 draw battery from my Note 4 and it makes it warm.

Interesting. I'll keep an eye on mine. I've had mine strapped together in my car and noticed they are warm when I take them out but they are near the window so wasn't suprised. Haven't really noticed any battery drain as yet.

I'm wondering if the iPod battery drain indicates that the DAC section in the iPod is not being bypassed? I'm curious about this as I might resurrect an old iPod Classic with an HA-2.

@ImmaLizard  Are you using the USB A jack on the HA-2 (selecting "A" on the HA-2's source selection switch) for both your iPhone 5S and your iPod Classic?  Are you using the CCK with either one of them?

It's my understanding, and I'm eager to be corrected, if necessary, that the HA-2 will never pull power from any Apple device that's connected via the HA-2's USB A jack - it will only pull data from the USB A jack and it can optionally charge connected iDevices if you press and hold the HA-2's battery check button long enough to illuminate the blue LED.  Note that there's no need to use a CCK to the USB Micro B jack (selecting "B") with iOS devices for playing Hi-Res files with apps like the Onkyo HD player. You can go directly from a Lightning or 30-pin cable to the USB A jack (selecting "A"), where again, no power will ever be pulled from the connected device.  The HA-2's USB A jack only supports "A" as in "Apple" devices.

It's also my understanding (eager to be corrected), that the HA-2 will pull 5V power from anything that's connected to the USB Micro B jack, to charge its own internal battery (whether or not you've selected "B" on the HA-2's source selection switch to use a connected device as a data source) - but only if the attached 5V supply can deliver enough amps. (I don't know where the threshold is - 500 mA or more?)  If a USB Micro B-attached device cannot deliver sufficient power, the HA-2, if turned on, will revert to consuming its own internal battery.  Anything capable of powering an OTG USB hard drive, for example, will probably find itself charging the HA-2, when connected to the HA-2's Micro USB B jack.

@money4me247  So, to answer your second question, bolded above, if your "smartphone" is an Apple device, and you connect it via the HA-2's USB A jack, the HA-2 will not drain the smarphone's battery at all.   If your "smartphone" is truly a small mobile phone, not a larger tablet with OTG support and a larger internal battery, and you connect it via the HA-2's USB Micro B jack, I think you'd still find that the HA-2 will not pull any power from the smartphone - simply because the smartphone cannot supply enough current.

@HasturTheYellow I'd love to get clarification on this.  

@miceblue Can you add/correct anything?

Thanks!

Mike

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #727 of 4,883

Wow!  Thanks for that link.  

I find this review to be so true to my own experience with the HA-2, in every combination I have for which he has commented, that I want to start reading this guy, marcusd, regularly.  

Mike

(I'm still using the Beta 3 prototype of the HA-2, but it's supposed to be the same as the released version.)

Thanks Mike for the feedback and I am glad you got some synergy with my thoughts on the HA-2. I am also glad my phone is the Z Ultra hehe, makes the HA-2 seem somewhat compact :)

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #728 of 4,883
  that was a very solid review!!! thanks for linking. I really enjoyed how he kept the flowery audiophile language to a minimum and focused more on comparisons to other alternatives on the market. much more helpful for consumers than some of the other typical audiophile review that you can't really get much out of as it's hard to gauge the reviewer's preference.

You see I am very indecisive when I am travelling, I can never figure out what combination I want to bring with me on a vacation, sometimes my reviews are like reminder notes haha :) Thanks again buddy!

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #729 of 4,883
Thanks for linking to such a rock solid review. From what I have read, the HA-2 is of great value, for the money..

Personally I think Oppo really have got this thing nailed for value for money, even the HA-1 does more for the price than most other desktops.

Apr 5, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #730 of 4,883
So it's easily worth $240.00 more than the Topping NX2? 

Apr 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #731 of 4,883
  So it's easily worth $240.00 more than the Topping NX2? 

read that the topping nx2 picks up EMI noise. hard to say though, doubt many people have both. spec-wise the ha-2 looks a lot stronger in all areas (better dac chip, more powerful amplifier, larger battery) except weight. of course with all things audio, diminishing returns as you move up the price ladder.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #732 of 4,883
Personally I think Oppo really have got this thing nailed for value for money, even the HA-1 does more for the price than most other desktops.

I have thought about getting the HA-1 too, so I can have another balanced amp. And the fact, that it has a dac too, is icing on the cake.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #733 of 4,883
  read that the topping nx2 picks up EMI noise. hard to say though, doubt many people have both. spec-wise the ha-2 looks a lot stronger in all areas (better dac chip, more powerful amplifier, larger battery) except weight. of course with all things audio, diminishing returns as you move up the price ladder.

Ah yes, I have not had an EMI problem however I don't use mine with my phone. I was also un-aware of the thing being balanced? Is it dual mini jack or mini XLR? Guess I need to go back and read up on this thing! I did test the DAC through my iPad in my office at work and did not have any interference with it but once again it's not my phone. Just looking to get a little more edumacated in this discussion thread
beerchug.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #734 of 4,883
Ah yes, I have not had an EMI problem however I don't use mine with my phone. I was also un-aware of the thing being balanced? Is it dual mini jack or mini XLR? Guess I need to go back and read up on this thing! I did test the DAC through my iPad in my office at work and did not have any interference with it but once again it's not my phone. Just looking to get a little more edumacated in this discussion thread:beerchug:

red dog is talkin abt the ha1 destop amp/dac, i dont think the ha2 is balanced.

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:42 PM Post #735 of 4,883
I plan to use the Oppo HA-2 with my android Samsung Note 3. I have read that with Lollipop the usb audio has been enabled. Does that mean apps such as UAPP(usb audio player pro) are uneccessary and one can use other players such as poweramp? Or do these apps still utilise the Note3's onboard Dac? What about apps such as google music or spotify? Do they go straight to the oppo's Dac or do they go through the Note 3‘s DAC first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back