OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 2:14 AM Post #136 of 4,883
  Hi,

I guess no one can answer the following question due to lack of experience with that device. I saw on the Synology homepage that a number of DAC/amp combinations are supported to be attached to the USB port of my Synology DS214+ NAS, so Audio Station app on it can playback music directly via the USB port. It would be interesting to know, if that works with the HA-2 as well. Maybe someone owning the HA-2 sooner or later could test this combination. I placed the Synology next to my router in the living room and it would be great to attach just a small device like the HA-2 to it and listening to music on my T1 directly using the NAS, which lives near to the couch :)

I have no experience with this (though I do have a DS413j). In this Synology forum thread, someone asked a related question and the reply was that it works with a variety of USB audio device, including a JDS ODAC. The OP then tried a "Terratec Aureon Dual USB" and it worked, even though DSM may not show it as an external USB device, but rather as a sound card under "System Information".

My NAS is quite a distance from my NAD D 3020, but I guess it might be possible to run a very long USB cable. Currently, I stream from the NAS to a smartphone by Wi-Fi, then by Bluetooth aptX to the NAD. It usually works without any lag, as long as I remember not to wander into the bathroom with the phone. BT aptX SQ through speakers is transparent to me with lossless source.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #140 of 4,883
Power Supply Unit (Rapid Charging Charger)
USB A - USB micro-B data and rapid charging cable
USB A - Lightning data cable (for Apple devices)
USB micro-B to micro-B data cable (for Android and other smartphones)
3.5 mm - 3.5 mm stereo audio cable
Silicone rubber band (2 pieces)

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #141 of 4,883

To use A10 series's USB Host function that supports USB DAC, you need the WMC-NWH10. However, I can't confirm whether HA-2 is supported or not, at least not till I get the HA-2.

wasn't there confirmation from Oppo that they tested this function? Thanks by the way.

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #143 of 4,883
anyone compared CLAS -db vs this amp/dac ?

I had CLAS -db paired with SR71b and wasn't impressed at all. 
Maybe it was SR71b the one sounding really bad from my experience.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #144 of 4,883
They will ship the same day or next day. So delivery is usually a week or less.

Ordered in Monday afternoon and received at Thursday noon via Usps priority mail. Very fast shipping. Unit is sleek, sound is very clear. An easily $500 product if you compare with Explorer 2 or Vamp Verza. Lots of value at current price level and probably the best looking portable amp on the market.

Plug into Note 4 and it seamlessly plays music without any extra setup or requires any app. Volume dial set at 3 at low gain already drive hd650 to max bearable volume. Unit didn't get warm like D3. No hiss at all. Solid performance.

Wish the 4 green charging light will dance with the music to make it alive :) Also the power light is easily ignored due to its location and end up leaving the unit on, which will drain battery. The glossy leather feel a bit thin and cheap. Wish there a padding underneath and use more coarse graded leather.

On the other hand, The metal is well carved and elegant. The supplied micro to micro usb cable is very helpful.The overall design shows originality and authenticity, and complement the cellphone very well.

Overall a very lovely product with serious performance at great price. Well done!

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #147 of 4,883
I have spent a week with the HA-2, driving a variety of headphones, from Audio-Technica (open and closed back models), vintage Sony, and Oppo's PM-1 and PM-2 headphones.

The fast charge is indeed fast, but the unit kept charged when I used it as my DAC/Amp with my MacPro and MacBook Pro. The unit was recognized instantly in System Preferences, and I played with the controls on the unit. I ended up using the high-gain setting for my headphones, although I did note I could listen at the same level with the gain set to either setting, but had to crank on the volume control. I listened for noise, but couldn't hear a difference between cranking the volume control knob up with gain set to low, or barely cranking the volume control with the gain set to high, which I viewed as a testament to the excellent noise floor of the unit.

From a physical standpoint, it outclasses anything in its price range. My Fiio Alpen seems like a nice assembly line product compared to the HA-2, which has just the right amount of heft, physical rigidity, and the leather and controls are all on the same level of execution. Most products (save for Apple) often have an area where the ball is dropped a bit, but not so in the HA-2. It feels just great in the hand, not overbearing, or techie. It deserves a place in the MOMA Design Collection, the design is that subtle and refined. 

As for the audio, compared to the MacPro's built in DAC/Amp it was more open, smoother, with a much cleaner bottom end. Soundstage was strong, and attack times, such as a cymbal crash were more musical, believable. I also compared to other DACs, but need more time to compare and contrast, but my initial sense comparing it to USB powered DACs was that the lower end, especially bass (electric or acoustic) had more depth, a more natural musicality. I'm going to compare next to the revised Dragonfly, AudioEngine D3, Korg, and Oppo HA-1. And my phone as well.

So far, I think it's a very groovy device. And at the price point, should force anyone considering a portable, or even desktop DAC to reconsider their options. 

Harris

+1 - Very nice review. Thank you for the specifics.

Cheers

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #148 of 4,883
For those of you connecting the HA2 to your iOS devices,I'm am interested to know what app are you using to play your music?

Also, any impressions on playing standard MP3s from iTunes throught the ha2 vs. iOS output would also be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:08 PM Post #149 of 4,883
  @ClieOS, what cable did you say will allow me to use my A17 as a digital transport and use the HA 2 as the DAC/Amp? Sorry for asking again. Cheers.

To use A10 series's USB Host function that supports USB DAC, you need the WMC-NWH10. However, I can't confirm whether HA-2 is supported or not, at least not till I get the HA-2.

wasn't there confirmation from Oppo that they tested this function? Thanks by the way.

An engineer at OPPO successfully tested the the HA-2 prototype with the Sony NWZ-A17 and Sony WMC-NWH10.  

I have no knowledge of anyone testing the released version of the HA-2 with the Sony NWZ-A17.

So proceed at your own risk, until further notice.   

Still, it was reported that it worked in a prototype version and the good news is that unlike a lot of DACs, both portable and desktop, the HA-2 is capable of detecting a USB data signal in the absence of +5VDC on the 4th pin.  A lot of DACs can't do that. They detect the presence of a USB source by looking for that +5V, and if they don't see it, they assume there's no data either.  They expect a USB connection to always provide power, even when the DAC itself doesn't actually use that power.  The Sony NWZ-A17 + WMC-NWH10 will not work with a DAC that expects to see power coming from the USB jack. This means the Sony NWZ-A17 will not work with USB-powered DACs or DAC/amps like the Audioquest Dragonfly, the LH Labs Geek Out 1000, the CEntrance DACport or DACport LX, etc.  But...  It will work with the HA-2.

Here are the pieces that would precede the HA-2's USB A jack:

Sony NWZ-A17:   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OCJRX8C/

Sony WMC-NWH10:   http://www.amazon.com/Sony-WMC-NWH10-Conversion-Cable-Output/dp/B00FF086HE

USB A male -to- USB Micro B male adapter (or an equivalent cable):  http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K9BEJ6  

Mike

Feb 27, 2015 at 3:20 PM Post #150 of 4,883
Got mine tonight a few hours ago. Sublime sound. Using it with my Samsung Note 4, USB Audio Player Pro app for android and also via Tidal Streaming service.

I have used many other options but this is very good. More tomorrow and on my blog gavinsgadgets....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back