OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Feb 28, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #167 of 4,883
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/02/oppo-ha-2-portable-dac-and-headphone-amplifier-review/#comment-122943

According to the review at the above link as well as in the comments section its mentioned that the Ha2 accepts optical input.

I didn't see that anywhere else. Can anyone else confirm?

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #168 of 4,883
3.5mm jack doubles as optical.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #169 of 4,883
I see nothing in the specs on Oppo Digital's site about optical input and they're very very good about listing what they sell.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #171 of 4,883
Any comparison against the JDS C5D?

@miceblue
, I saw you commented about the two, can you go a little more in depth about the two? :) I am also interested in the bass boost in the two. Thanks! :)

Mhmm, sure thing, I'll do some listening tests later today. They're definitely within the same price bracket, so it's only natural to make a comparison between the two.

I see nothing in the specs on Oppo Digital's site about optical input and they're very very good about listing what they sell.

Yeah, that reviewer is the only place I've seen that says the HA-2 accepts optical in. I can't personally test it myself though since I don't own a Toslink cable (my MacBook has an optical output though).

I think if it did accept optical input, it would 1) be on OPPO Digital's website under the tech specs as a feature and 2) be in the user manual, which it isn't.

Looking at that review again, it looks like he took out the part about optical input, except for that one comment.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #173 of 4,883
Mhmm, sure thing, I'll do some listening tests later today. They're definitely within the same price bracket, so it's only natural to make a comparison between the two.

Thanks! I currrently have the C5D and I am wondering if the HA-2 would be a worth while upgrade for me. Plus, the HA-2 just looks so damn classy.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #175 of 4,883
If i use this with an itouch 5, will it play my Michael Jackson album in 24/96? Of course it's been converted to aiff format. Just wondering

Yes, if you use the Onkyo HF Player HD app from the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-hf-player/id704139896?mt=8 and you purchase the HD Player Pack for $9.99). It doesn't have to be AIFF either, FLAC works just fine for me.

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #176 of 4,883
Yes, if you use the Onkyo HF Player HD app from the App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/onkyo-hf-player/id704139896?mt=8 and you purchase the HD Player Pack for $9.99). It doesn't have to be AIFF either, FLAC works just fine for me.

But i like to drag and drop files, not adding it to the app itself etc, does the native music player app plays high res audio?

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #177 of 4,883
Thanks! I currrently have the C5D and I am wondering if the HA-2 would be a worth while upgrade for me. Plus, the HA-2 just looks so damn classy.

Mmk, so in terms of features and battery life, the HA-2 is definitely in a whole other league compared to the C5D. Three features that the C5D has that the HA-2 doesn't are 1) the free custom laser etchings, 2) USB Audio Class 1 which does not require drivers to use and might be more compatible with more devices, and 3) user-programmable digital volume potentiometer, although admittedly no one on Head-Fi probably uses this but me, hahaha.

In terms of sound, I think both have their strong points. I tried my best to volume-match the two devices by ear (both devices on low-gain), so it's not a perfect method. I've been using the Audirvana Plus app on OS X for my listening sessions and I wrote some Apple Scripts to quickly switch DACs on the computer while I unplugged/re-plugged the headphone jack into the other device. Headphones used were a beta PM-3 unit (which was meant to be paired with the HA-2), and the AKG K 701 (which I like with the C5D). Music varied between pop, electronic, folk, soul, classical, and jazz; 16/44.1 to 24/96.

Compared to the C5D, the HA-2 does have a kind of harshness somewhere in the lower-treble area that's typical of ESS's Sabre DACs (some say this is the "Sabre glare"). However, I still find the C5D to be a little bright in the upper-midrange compared to the HA-2. Snare drums may not have the harsh/biting sound from the C5D compared to the HA-2, but some upper-midrange sounds do. Personally I prefer the Sabre glare of the HA-2 over the bright upper-mids of the C5D.

In terms of the sense of space, the HA-2 has a more rounded soundstage having more depth compared to the C5D, and also more height. Center imaging seems better on the HA-2 compared to the C5D, which is something I like to see, and that especially pairs well with the K 701. C5D provides a sense of space similar to that of the ODAC/O2 in that the soundstage seems wide, but not very deep. Switching between the HA-2 and C5D, I definitely prefer the more encompassing "music is being played to you" soundstage and imaging of the HA-2 over the more "music being played between my head" soundstage and imaging of the C5D.

That being said, I think the C5D has better instrument separation compared to the HA-2; instruments are more separated from one another and I can better distinguish the instruments in a music track, or there seems to be more black space between instruments.

Another plus for the C5D is that I think it hits bass notes harder and deeper than the HA-2, similar to the ODAC/O2 vs Geek Out oddly enough (bass boost off).

Speaking of the bass though, the HA-2's bass boost is more similar to the C5D's middle bass boost option, but with a little more rumble. Objectively, indeed the HA-2's bass boost is slightly higher than that of the C5D's middle option. I still love the C5D's maximum bass boost for the K 701 though (not so much for the PM-3). : D

But i like to drag and drop files, not adding it to the app itself etc, does the native music player app plays high res audio?

Hm, I don't really understand. You can drag-n-drop music files from your computer into the Onkyo app through iTunes.

No unfortunately the free version of the app doesn't support native audio playback past 16/48 (the regular iDevice limitations). You can still play the high resolution files, and any other FLAC files you have, just that they get downsampled to 44.1 or 48 kHz.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:04 AM Post #178 of 4,883
I listened to the HA-2 yesterday in a local shop in Singapore, comparing it with the O2 amp. The source is my AK100MK2, so I was testing the amp section only. I had to go to another audio shop to collect my customs refit before it closed so I didn't have time to test the dac and amp unit with my iPhone.

To use an anology, the O2 amp is like the Nissan GT-R: Lots of power, extremely detailed, it lets you hear all the details in the music. Extended highs and lots of bass. The HA-2 is like a Rolls Royce, it's more comfortable to listen to. Still extremely detailed, but it doesn't throw everything into your face. Mids are more laidback, and unlike other warm amps, it doesn't result in any loss of clarity.

Lastly I just want to point out, that the build quality of the HA-2 is INSANELY AWESOME for a $299 audio product. In fact, I will compare it favourably to my iPhone 5S. The aluminium casing is wonderfully done and the gain and bass boost switches are done exactly like the volume/mute switch on my iPhone 5S.

The thing is, I don't need a portable amp and dac (aiming for a DAP instead), but I'm highly tempted to get one.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #179 of 4,883
I listened to the HA-2 yesterday in a local shop in Singapore, comparing it with the O2 amp. The source is my AK100MK2, so I was testing the amp section only. I had to go to another audio shop to collect my customs refit before it closed so I didn't have time to test the dac and amp unit with my iPhone.

To use an anology, the O2 amp is like the Nissan GT-R: Lots of power, extremely detailed, it lets you hear all the details in the music. Extended highs and lots of bass. The HA-2 is like a Rolls Royce, it's more comfortable to listen to. Still extremely detailed, but it doesn't throw everything into your face. Mids are more laidback, and unlike other warm amps, it doesn't result in any loss of clarity.

Lastly I just want to point out, that the build quality of the HA-2 is INSANELY AWESOME for a $299 audio product. In fact, I will compare it favourably to my iPhone 5S. The aluminium casing is wonderfully done and the gain and bass boost switches are done exactly like the volume/mute switch on my iPhone 5S.

The thing is, I don't need a portable amp and dac (aiming for a DAP instead), but I'm highly tempted to get one.

Ah, I basically just covered that in my post above yours.
I don't think it's the mids being laid-back per se, but rather a different presentation of the soundstage. I guess laid-back can be used to describe sounds if there's more depth and center imaging in the soundstage though. I've always found the ODAC/O2 to sound rather two-dimensional in presentation (great height and width, but not much depth), whereas the HA-2 is more three-dimensional (good height, width, and depth).

Alas, such is the difficulty of trying to explain audio. XD

Actually, speaking of the AK100 II and HA-2, I really liked that combination with the HD700 I tried at a local meet.

The build quality of the HA-2 is definitely above average for something of its price I think.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #180 of 4,883
Got my amp..but still cant find any headphones i can actually use with it :frowning2: All my headphones are either quarter inch or XLR Balanced, i cant seem to located a 6.3 --> 3.5mm adaptor either...so no way to hear if this is actually decent!

Waiting on the PM3 and EL-8s to come across, however since the Audeze robbery this might be delayed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back