OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #151 of 4,883

Thanks Mike. I would be surprised if that feature didn't make it into production, but your caution is warranted. I am still a little confused when it comes to the Sony cable. When I look at images online the cable doesn't seem to have a way to attach into the Oppo? I'm sure I'm just missing it, but I do see the connector for the A17 port, but the other end looks like a full size USB connector. What am I missing?

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #152 of 4,883
Got mine tonight a few hours ago. Sublime sound. Using it with my Samsung Note 4, USB Audio Player Pro app for android and also via Tidal Streaming service.

I have used many other options but this is very good. More tomorrow and on my blog gavinsgadgets....

Would love to hear your thoughts! I am looking at this unit for my Note 4 also. Although the SQ is reasonable the volume output certainly isn't. I have to run full vol on my Momentums! Also wanting to use in my car through AUX so hoping this will give me some nice improvements in SQ/output etc.

Feb 27, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #153 of 4,883
I received a production HA-2 unit yesterday.

I can still hear some background hiss on low gain (like faint pink noise) with a MEElectronics M9 (Comply foam tips), but it's not really noticeable when music is being played. The HA-2 has an auto-mute thingamabob where if the device is inactive for about 45 seconds when using it as a DAC, the amp section gets muted. When that happens, you can tell with sensitive earphones that the background hiss disappears completely until you actively use the HA-2 again, in which it takes about a second to re-activate. Again, I guess your mileage may vary with the ability to hear the hiss since some people say they can hear it (such as myself), but more people seem to not be able to hear it (handful of people here, my friend, other beta testers).

Sound-wise, it sounds as good as the last beta unit! Really, a terrific pairing with the portable setups I've tried whether it's with my iPhone (no Apple CCK required!), or by itself with my laptop. As I've stated before, the HA-2 sounds similar to the Light Harmonic Geek Out, so if you're looking for a more versatile unit that sounds great, the HA-2 should be right in the ballpark. Just like the Geek Out, the HA-2 can play PCM audio up to 32-bit 384 kHz, but unlike the Geek Out, the HA-2 can play DSD audio up to DSD256 (Geek Out only goes up to DSD128 despite using the same ESS ES9018-K2M DAC chip). The Geek Out does sound a bit smoother in the treble area on the other hand. The HA-2 has a stereotypical Sabre glare that I think people call it, but it has some extra oomph in the low-end that the Geek Out 1000 doesn't seem to have and it provides some nice warmth.

Low gain is meant to be used with most sensitive portable headphones and in-ear earphones in conjunction with the digital volume control, high gain for harder to drive ones. Low gain still leaves plenty of wiggle room with the volume knob when using the AKG K 701 (and by plenty I mean I'm on volume level 1-2 on the volume knob out of 5, low gain, maximum digital volume) and I personally don't see myself using high gain unless I plan to use my 669 Ω AKG K240 Monitor headphones.

The bass-boost is pretty handy to switch on when you want the extra bass kick and is especially useful for noisier environments where the bass can get drowned out quickly.

Its versatility really makes the HA-2 special I think. It works with Android devices that support USB On-The-Go, iOS 7+ devices without an Apple Camera Connection Kit, iPod Classic (maybe?), any media player that has a line-out feature (or maybe you want to double-amp if you don't mind), and PCs (drivers are required in Windows; OS X doesn't really support DSD256 yet). Combined with its great sound, beautiful aesthetics, and included accessories (two silicone bands, one Apple Lightning-USB A cable, one microUSB OTG-microUSB cable, one 90˚-90˚ minijack, VOOC-compatible USB wall adaptor, and VOOC-compatible USB A-microUSB cable), you really can't go wrong with the purchase. To be honest, I'm really surprised OPPO Digital is pricing this at $299 considering all it has and does. Craziness.

^ I've never seen green USB connectors ever XD

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #154 of 4,883
Would love to hear your thoughts! I am looking at this unit for my Note 4 also. Although the SQ is reasonable the volume output certainly isn't. I have to run full vol on my Momentums! Also wanting to use in my car through AUX so hoping this will give me some nice improvements in SQ/output etc.

I noticed that too but if I adjust the volume on USB Audio Player Pro app, it goes loud enough. I'm using 3 different over the ear headphones. One of which are the sennheiser HD518 which need more grunt to work than the Momentums . My Cayin C5 amp goes much louder but does not sound as good. Quite a bit of a difference actually. I was using a hifimediy-sabre-android-usb-dac with the Cayin C5. Later today I will test properly with all my cans, Apple devices too, Note 4 and computer.

Feb 27, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #155 of 4,883
Thanks Mike. I would be surprised if that feature didn't make it into production, but your caution is warranted. I am still a little confused when it comes to the Sony cable. When I look at images online the cable doesn't seem to have a way to attach into the Oppo? I'm sure I'm just missing it, but I do see the connector for the A17 port, but the other end looks like a full size USB connector. What am I missing?

You must not have examined the links I provided in the post you are quoting:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755879/opp...ifier-dac-discussion-thread/135#post_11363727

Hint: Connect them together in this sequence.

7231510.jpg

:D

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #156 of 4,883
I saw that when you first posted it, but I swear there was no image of the USB adapter! I must have just missed it. Well that kind of sucks as requiring an adapter from a cable means it really isn't pocket portable for people like me who only use portable devices for public transit. I'm either with other people (so no headphones) at work (so no headphones) on the bus  (headphones) or at home for listening so no portable rig needed. Hopefully somebody sees a need to make a cable that can connect such devices. I'm wondering if my Blackberry Z10 can work with the Oppo?

Feb 27, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #158 of 4,883
Nice rig! But I don't know if I could do that in public. Hell I sold my HP50s as I felt awkward with them on the bus. Still, I might consider it as I think the Oppo with the A17 and my MDR 1As would be a great rig, but damn that adapter. I wonder what would be involved in taking the Sony cable and getting it re-terminated with a mini usb? I could see if Trevor at Norne Audio might do this if it is even possible.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:07 AM Post #160 of 4,883
I received my ha-2 today and have been listening with my iPhone 5s and Philips fidelo x2's for about an hour. I'm going to give it a few days before I post any immpresions but I can confirm that even on low gain 2-3 on the volume pot is all I use anything past 3 gets too loud ( this is with iphone volume on max if I lower it to 80% I can run the oppo at 3-3.5 volume I'm starting to think it sounds better this way). I will also try out my hd 600's on high gain.

Feb 28, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #161 of 4,883
  Nice rig! But I don't know if I could do that in public. Hell I sold my HP50s as I felt awkward with them on the bus. Still, I might consider it as I think the Oppo with the A17 and my MDR 1As would be a great rig, but damn that adapter. I wonder what would be involved in taking the Sony cable and getting it re-terminated with a mini usb? I could see if Trevor at Norne Audio might do this if it is even possible.

I like that custom cable idea.  Lots of portable stacks out there are at their tidiest with custom cables.

I wouldn't wear full size flagship headphones on a commuter train or bus, but I would also be reluctant to whip out an expensive looking brick of portable electronics. A bag like that Case Logic offering keeps things a bit more discrete and provides padding against knocks and tumbles.  As soon as you add anything to a small DAP, it's tough to think of it as shirt-pocket rig. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #162 of 4,883

I like that custom cable idea.  Lots of portable stacks out there are at their tidiest with custom cables.

I wouldn't wear full size flagship headphones on a commuter train or bus, but I would also be reluctant to whip out an expensive looking brick of portable electronics. A bag like that Case Logic offering keeps things a bit more discrete and provides padding against knocks and tumbles.  As soon as you add anything to a small DAP, it's tough to think of it as shirt-pocket rig. 

I was always able to take my Z10/E12 stack as a portable and have it fit in pockets, or easily held in hand so that is my goal/expectation for how I hope a portable set-up is. I guess there is a difference in portable use that I think companies need to consider and that is the public transit crowd. I get the impression that most people mean portable as able to pack it in the gym bag to take it to work for use at the desk, or to move around the house. I totally get that, but for me portable means crowded public transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back