OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 12:59 AM Post #106 of 4,883
I'm hoping someone can confirm some information for me about the HA-2 vs. my current Fiio E12.  The E12 can adequately drive all my headphones including T1, HE500, Alpha Dog, HD600 and X2.  
The maximum output for the E12 is 850mW at 32 Ohms.  The HA-2 shows output of only 200mW at 32 Ohms, and only 30mW at 300 Ohms.  I've also looked at the JDS Labs C5D, and it has similar output numbers to the HA-2.  

First, are the lower numbers due to inclusion of the DAC in the amp?  the E12 is an amp only.
Second, do I really need the DAC.  I'm currently using an IPOD Classic out of the 30 pin output directly into the E12.  
Is anyone aware of an amp/DAC combo in the $300 price range that provides more power?

Right now I am inclined to stay with what I have.  I love my OPPO products, but want something portable that can drive most hard to drive HP.  Something I can walk around with or lie in bed with that does not require a complete desktop set-up.

Thanks.

I have a C5D at hand and I thought it drove the Alpha Dog and HD650 (I haven't seen a HD600 in a while) just fine. For 600-ohm headphones, the HA-2 might not be adequate for most people though (I find it to be just fine for normal listening sessions, but the volume knob is pretty high).

I personally never really liked the sound of the E12 and I prefer the C5D's sound (and HA-2 much more over the C5D) with the headphones I've tried.
HD700 + AK100 II + HA-2 was absolutely killer for me; loved that rig.

I don't think the inclusion of a DAC section has to do anything with the power output per se, but space for a larger battery could be used up from the DAC PCB (though given the HA-2's size, I don't think it would be possible to put a larger battery in there even if there wasn't a DAC section since it's so thin).

The external DAC is really up to you. I don't have an iPod Classic myself, so I can't say anything on how the HA-2 would sound with it. People seemed to really like the Fostex HP-P1 DAC/amp though (less power output than the HA-2), so maybe it will be to your liking?

I can't think of any other portable DAC/amp within $300 that would have more power output unless you count the Light Harmonic Geek Out 1000 or iFi Audio iDAC Micro.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #107 of 4,883
I have a question about the line input from an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. Could an iOS update (say iOS 9) or any small patch to IOS 8 render this input unusable if Apple decides it doesn't want 3rd party devices used. And also has anyone used this with an iPad air 2 or a 5th gen iPod touch.

Feb 25, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #108 of 4,883
I have a question about the line input from an iPhone/iPad/iPod touch. Could an iOS update (say iOS 9) or any small patch to IOS 8 render this input unusable if Apple decides it doesn't want 3rd party devices used. And also has anyone used this with an iPad air 2 or a 5th gen iPod touch.

HA-2 is officially Apple's MFi certified, which means OPPO pays Apple a good sum of money for a license (with all the code and chips included) to connect to the iDevices. So no, any iOS update will no render the iDevice support useless because people @ Apple are not going to be insane any time soon.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #112 of 4,883
" There are two gain level settings. The High Gain mode is capable of driving large power-hungry headphones, delivering up to 300 mW into 16-Ohm headphones. The Low Gain mode is intended for sensitive In-Ear Monitor type earphones. In addition to the two gain levels, the HA-2 offers two stages of volume control to precisely dial the desired output volume and to resolve the volume disparity issues between using In-Ear Monitors and full-size headphones. By mapping USB volume control commands to the Sabre DAC chip's internal digital volume control, users can adjust the signal volume using the playback app or software without losing audio resolution or causing bit truncation. The HA-2's analog volume control knob can then be used to further adjust for a comfortable listening level. For users who like a bit more punch and impact with their music, the HA-2 offers a Bass Boost function that is implemented purely with analog audio circuits."

Feb 25, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #114 of 4,883

Update, audible hiss with my JVC HA-FX850 IEMs. Loved every oppo product thus far but not feeling too good about this purchase.

I hear no hiss whatsoever with my HA-2 and an assortment of IEM's, on-ear, and over-ear headphones.

hehe same happens in the sony walkman A10 forum, some say it hisses like a snake, I don't hear any hiss at all on mine

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #115 of 4,883
I have spent a week with the HA-2, driving a variety of headphones, from Audio-Technica (open and closed back models), vintage Sony, and Oppo's PM-1 and PM-2 headphones.

The fast charge is indeed fast, but the unit kept charged when I used it as my DAC/Amp with my MacPro and MacBook Pro. The unit was recognized instantly in System Preferences, and I played with the controls on the unit. I ended up using the high-gain setting for my headphones, although I did note I could listen at the same level with the gain set to either setting, but had to crank on the volume control. I listened for noise, but couldn't hear a difference between cranking the volume control knob up with gain set to low, or barely cranking the volume control with the gain set to high, which I viewed as a testament to the excellent noise floor of the unit.

From a physical standpoint, it outclasses anything in its price range. My Fiio Alpen seems like a nice assembly line product compared to the HA-2, which has just the right amount of heft, physical rigidity, and the leather and controls are all on the same level of execution. Most products (save for Apple) often have an area where the ball is dropped a bit, but not so in the HA-2. It feels just great in the hand, not overbearing, or techie. It deserves a place in the MOMA Design Collection, the design is that subtle and refined. 

As for the audio, compared to the MacPro's built in DAC/Amp it was more open, smoother, with a much cleaner bottom end. Soundstage was strong, and attack times, such as a cymbal crash were more musical, believable. I also compared to other DACs, but need more time to compare and contrast, but my initial sense comparing it to USB powered DACs was that the lower end, especially bass (electric or acoustic) had more depth, a more natural musicality. I'm going to compare next to the revised Dragonfly, AudioEngine D3, Korg, and Oppo HA-1. And my phone as well.

So far, I think it's a very groovy device. And at the price point, should force anyone considering a portable, or even desktop DAC to reconsider their options. 

Harris

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:12 AM Post #116 of 4,883
It is very faint and hasn't caused an issue so far.  What IEM's are you using?  I haven't heard any hiss with my PM-1s or TH600's.

I've used all the 'phones listed in my profile. I posted this in the other thread but I'm not sure I did here--I was a beta tester for the HA-2 and listened to various incarnations of it for a long time with a wide variety of headphones. The last incarnation I tested was basically identical to the shipping version. I understand that some people with really sensitive IEM's coupled with really keen ears have stated they've heard hiss. I have jacked the volume to max without music playing and haven't heard it.

Feb 25, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #117 of 4,883

Can you provide info on the setup for these frequency response tests? I've forgotten most of the electronics I learned in highschool/uni, but I think it would be more meaningful knowing what kind of load was being driven, and the power/voltage output
confused.gif

The load does not affect the output response, just the amount of power that is actually available to the headphones.

As for the audio, we just used a frequency sweep that ranges 10Hz to 80kHz and used an Audio Precision x55 to make the measurements.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #119 of 4,883
  Any thoughts on how this unit compares to the Centrance Hi-Fi M8? It certainly wins on form factor...

I have a similar question regarding comparison to the Theorem 720.  My guess based on price is that the Oppo isn't really designed to compete with either of those devices and is more along the lines of the Fiio gear, but I'd love to be wrong about that.

Feb 25, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #120 of 4,883
I can't think of any other portable DAC/amp within $300 that would have more power output unless you count the Light Harmonic Geek Out 1000 or iFi Audio iDAC Micro.

Just for the sake of shared knowledge, the iBasso D42 at $188 offers slightly higher power, 230mW @ 32Ω. The Fiio E18 at prices varying from $299 to $159 offers 300mW @ 32Ω. However, if the HA-2 is truly anywhere near as good sounding as the iFi Micro iDSD, the other two mentioned won't be of any concern. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back