OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 22, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #527 of 4,883
I was looking at the Fio E18 and then decided to hold off when I heard about the Oppo. Has anyone compared the two? Oppo is certainly a lot more expensive - worth the extra $?

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #528 of 4,883
I was looking at the Fio E18 and then decided to hold off when I heard about the Oppo. Has anyone compared the two? Oppo is certainly a lot more expensive - worth the extra $?
In my experience, ha-2 is very demanding compared to e18 as my phone couldnt do much with having to send a distorted signal to it, using UAPP, OTG. I suspect the slow clockspeed with only 1.5ghz max (huawei mediapad x1 and the clock is somehow throttled to 1.1ghz average just to save power.) Tested with lenovo p780 phone and the distortion was lessen but still unbearable. So heads up if you're using anything lesser than latest iphone or snapdragon equipped android for usb otg function. LODing is not an option for me tho because things are limited to 44khz, as far as what UAPP is telling me.

Mar 22, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #529 of 4,883
In my experience, ha-2 is very demanding compared to e18 as my phone couldnt do much with having to send a distorted signal to it, using UAPP, OTG. I suspect the slow clockspeed with only 1.5ghz max (huawei mediapad x1 and the clock is somehow throttled to 1.1ghz average just to save power.) Tested with lenovo p780 phone and the distortion was lessen but still unbearable. So heads up if you're using anything lesser than latest iphone or snapdragon equipped android for usb otg function. LODing is not an option for me tho because things are limited to 44khz, as far as what UAPP is telling me.

You might want to adjust the buffer or 'force 1 packet per transfer' in UAPP and see if it improves things a bit. I have to change my buffer setting for UAPP to work with HA-2 and I have a Snapdragon 801 in my Xperia Z2 so CPU speed is definitely not an issue.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #530 of 4,883

I don't even "need" a device like this, but I have respect for Oppo + the design of this gadget is right in my wheelhouse.  I wonder how it compares to the Meridian Explorer (1st version, but with fixed output impedance).  I'd never use this as anything more than an amp w/ my AK120ii (and even then, very seldom since I love my Vorzuge Pure II amp), but I wouldn't mind outputing via USB from my MBP & my iPhone 6 (which I RARELY use for music).

I'm resurrecting this post and question from early in the thread.  

Has anyone compared the HA-2 to the Meridian Explorer or the new Explorer2?  I have the Explorer, which I use out of my MacBook Pro at work or other non-home settings.  I realize the HA-2 is far more flexible regarding input options (the Explorer and Explorer2 are only for use with a computer, not a portable source).  Of course, I know that if I do plan on getting a truly  portable source, then the HA-2 would be the right choice, unless I get a portable source that works well (alone) with AIF files and my Oppo PM-3 phones.

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #532 of 4,883
I was leaning towards HA-2, but happen to get an Explorer 2 for $220 and my usage will be 85% close by a desktop and 15% through my Note 4 anyways. Someone has said that "samsung Note 4 works like a charm with Usb player and meridian explorer 2". I am close by the OPPO store and was able to try the HA-2. My E2 won't arrive until end of this week, but if I have time then maybe I can go back to OPPO and compare the two. 

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #533 of 4,883
Where did u get an Explorer 2 for that much? I paid less than that today for mine if it comes thru it's a great deal. I cancelled me HA-2 order for now. No talk of the Microshar G3 here yet.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #534 of 4,883
Got it on ebay for brand new. How much did you pay for it and how much? Lol I wouldnt be surprised if you got it there too from the same person.

Mar 23, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #536 of 4,883
I emailed Oppo about HA-2 compatibility with iPod Classic 160 gb, and they said it would be compatible if it has iOS 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 software.  Has anyone with these versions tried the HA-2 yet and, if so, do you think that the HA-2 DAC significantly improves the sound quality? 

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #537 of 4,883
I emailed Oppo about HA-2 compatibility with iPod Classic 160 gb, and they said it would be compatible if it has iOS 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 software.  Has anyone with these versions tried the HA-2 yet and, if so, do you think that the HA-2 DAC significantly improves the sound quality? 

The iPod classic does not run iOS. Period.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:35 PM Post #538 of 4,883

You can use the HA-2 audio jack in, but it would probably bypass the HA-2 DAC so it will only function as an amplifier. 

EDIT: If you can make it work through the USB, then I'd say the sound quality will improve. The sound from my Note 4 vs HA-2 is easily distinguishable.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #539 of 4,883
A little less than u. Roughly $200. You're seller in Nyc? Seems like a good deal. I'm hoping to register for Tidal.

Nope, it doesnt say where my seller is from. Good deal definitely. Just hope it doesn't malfunction since I'm not sure warranty covers items bought from ebay even if it's brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back