OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 20, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #496 of 4,883
can anyone with a Concero HD/HP compare the DAC performance to the HA-2? i believe they use the same Sabre chip, does that mean their performance would be identical using line out and skipping the Amp?

In my opinion chipsets are certainly important, but it's the overall implementation that is key.

Two quick things about the Concero HP... Firstly, the head of Resonessence Labs has a direct connection to ESS... I believe he used to work there, and I think his brother still does. So not only can RL cherry-pick chips, they also know more about getting the very best out those chipsets than any other DAC manufacturer, arguably. Secondly, the HP costs nearly three times as much... I'm never one to bring price tags into the equation, but in this case it's worth mentioning, simply because at $850, the HP is routinely compared to devices costing thousands. So you have a one device that costs 3 times what the other does, and then punches way, way, out of that price point. Kind of a double-wammy.

With this in mind, it's not exactly a fair fight...

I enjoyed the OPPO HA-2 very much, and I think it's a terrific portable device (assuming the hiss with sensitive cans/IEMs isn't an issue)... But it's completely outgunned by the Concero HP. Right off the bat, the Concero has thicker, richer mids, deeper, more detailed bass, greater overall detail and transparency, vocals are more natural, soundstage is larger and more precise, and the highs are smoother and more articulate. Not to mention an inky black background with zero hiss, even with ultra sensitive IEMs. 

Again, the HA-2 is great for a portable, better than most, and I don't mean to belittle it at all... It's just that the Concero HP is so damn good. It destroyed my Burson Conductor, for God's sake. Savagely. I'm talking scorched earth. It's like Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder. It will *blank* you up. 

If you're looking for a portable unit that does compete with the Concero HP, I'd suggest the IFI Micro iDSD, another device that hits way, way out of it's weight class. Actually more amazing than the Concero insomuch as it runs only $499. Not nearly as svelte or sexy as the OPPO unfortunately... Or the Concero, for that matter.

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #497 of 4,883
  In my opinion chipsets are certainly important, but it's the overall implementation that is key.

Two quick things about the Concero HP... Firstly, the head of Resonessence Labs has a direct connection to ESS... I believe he used to work there, and I think his brother still does. So not only can RL cherry-pick chips, they also know more about getting the very best out those chipsets than any other DAC manufacturer, arguably. Secondly, the HP costs nearly three times as much... I'm never one to bring price tags into the equation, but in this case it's worth mentioning, simply because at $850, the HP is routinely compared to devices costing thousands. So you have a one device that costs 3 times what the other does, and then punches way, way, out of that price point. Kind of a double-wammy.

I enjoyed the OPPO HA-2 very much, and I think it's a terrific portable device (assuming the hiss with sensitive cans/IEMs isn't an issue)... But it's completely outgunned by the Concero HP. Right off the bat, the Concero has thicker, richer mids, deeper, more detailed bass, greater overall detail and transparency, vocals are more natural, soundstage is larger and more precise, and the highs are smoother and more articulate. Not to mention an inky black background with zero hiss, even with ultra sensitive IEMs. 

Again, the HA-2 is great for a portable, better than most, and I don't mean to belittle it at all... It's just that the Concero HP is so damn good. It destroyed my Burson Conductor, for God's sake. Savagely. I'm talking scorched earth. It's like Tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder. It will *blank* you up. 

If you're looking for a portable unit that does compete with the Concero HP, I'd suggest the IFI Micro iDSD, another device that hits way, way out of it's weight class. Actually more amazing than the Concero insomuch as it runs only $499. Not nearly as svelte or sexy as the OPPO unfortunately... Or the Concero, for that matter.

+1 on the implementation being the most important factor.

Mar 20, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #498 of 4,883

Since you mentioned micro idsd, would comparing ha-2 to ifi nano idsd be too unfair?
Here in canada, nano idsd is 246 dollar but ha-3 is about 420 directly from oppo.

Mar 20, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #499 of 4,883
Since you mentioned micro idsd, would comparing ha-2 to ifi nano idsd be too unfair?
Here in canada, nano idsd is 246 dollar but ha-3 is about 420 directly from oppo.

Unfortunately, I don't have direct experience with the Nano iDSD... I understand it's a somewhat different animal than the Micro, however. I'm unsure how the OPPO would stack up against it...

I'd actually love to hear a comparison from someone who's listened to both...

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #500 of 4,883
Unfortunately, I don't have direct experience with the Nano iDSD... I understand it's a somewhat different animal than the Micro, however. I'm unsure how the OPPO would stack up against it...

I'd actually love to hear a comparison from someone who's listened to both...

Thanks for the reply! 

I asked this question to two times already and this is the first reply I got.. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #503 of 4,883
  Haha That is true :) I am not so sure if it is worth a 200 dollar jump from nano idsd to ha-2. Thanks!

don't you mean $100 jump? the ha-2 is $300, the nano idsd is $190.

unless you found a better deal, let us know! :)

Mar 20, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #505 of 4,883
SptTablo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

money4me247 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SptTablo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Haha That is true :) I am not so sure if it is worth a 200 dollar jump from nano idsd to ha-2. Thanks!

I think SptTablo is also talking CDN$. And he meant "HA-2".

I was also interested in the HA-2, it's form factor being very attractive. But I'm looking to buy a portable, self-powered DAC/amp that will power all HPs I might ever own, so the iFi micro iDSD looks to be the choice for me.

Edit: Darn that miceblue! Beat me to it
mad.gif

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #506 of 4,883
Just sat down and gave both iDSD nano and HA-2 a comparison - using both as pure DAC and feeding the line-out to a FiiO E12DIY driving DUNU DN-2000, I'll say the performance is roughly equal. Nano sounds more organic (especially with Minimum Phase filter) where HA-2 sounds more transparent (or digital, if you like. It's an ESS characteristic no doubt). When used as amp+DAC however, I do feel that HA-2 has a slight edge over nano, namely it offers slightly better control and power, as well as a bigger image. Nano's image isn't bad either, but it is smaller in comparison. The upside is that nano is, again, sounding more organic than HA-2.

If it is going to be used as mainly a DAC, I think nano makes for a better choice as it is cheaper and about just as good as HA-2 on the line-out. But HA-2 is more proficient as an all-in-one choice, plus the size is just right.

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #507 of 4,883

Haha here in Canada prices are VERY different from US. 
Plus if I take account of currency, it gets even crazier.

I think SptTablo is also talking CDN$. And he meant "HA-2".

I was also interested in the HA-2, it's form factor being very attractive. But I'm looking to buy a portable, self-powered DAC/amp that will power all HPs I might ever own, so the iFi micro iDSD looks to be the choice for me.

Edit: Darn that miceblue! Beat me to it
mad.gif

Thanks for clearing my rather vague reply :)

Just sat down and gave both iDSD nano and HA-2 a comparison - using both as pure DAC and feeding the line-out to a FiiO E12DIY driving DUNU DN-2000, I'll say the performance is roughly equal. Nano sounds more organic (especially with Minimum Phase filter) where HA-2 sounds more transparent (or digital, if you like. It's an ESS characteristic no doubt). When used as amp+DAC however, I do feel that HA-2 has a slight edge over nano, namely it offers slightly better control and power, as well as a bigger image. Nano's image isn't bad either, but it is smaller in comparison. The upside is that nano is, again, sounding more organic than HA-2.

If it is going to be used as mainly a DAC, I think nano makes for a better choice as it is cheaper and about just as good as HA-2 on the line-out. But HA-2 is more proficient as an all-in-one choice, plus the size is just right.

I really x 9999 appreciate your reply. 
As I am going to use either of them purely with DAC purpose, I think I am going to get ifi NANO idsd then. 
Since there is a guy who is selling mint conditioned NANO idsd for 170 CAD, I will go for that. 
Thanks a lot again :)

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #509 of 4,883
  ahhh. thanks for the clarification. so glad i don't live abroad right now. hahah

I mean, if the USD to CAD rate was not bad, I would have even consider using parcel keeping service at the border since I live relatively close to the border. 

But since the rate is plummeting for CAD, it is better off for me to buy in Canada.

The problem is, there is nowhere in Canada that sells ifi products. (Except Amazon which sells it 246 dollar. 

Mar 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #510 of 4,883

I just took a look at iFi's website. Does the iDSD (either Micro or Nano) play true DSD audio? By true I mean 1-bit decoding as opposed to typical ESS applications of "DSD support" with multi-bit Delta Sigma modulation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back