OPPO HA-2 Portable Headphone Amplifier/DAC Discussion Thread
Mar 23, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #541 of 4,883
I emailed Oppo about HA-2 compatibility with iPod Classic 160 gb, and they said it would be compatible if it has iOS 2.0.3 or 2.0.4 software.  Has anyone with these versions tried the HA-2 yet and, if so, do you think that the HA-2 DAC significantly improves the sound quality? 

You can use the HA-2 audio jack in, but it would probably bypass the HA-2 DAC so it will only function as an amplifier. 

Don't have the HA-2 but the full size HA-1 works with my iPod classic 120gb without issue using the 30pin cable. If Oppo says it'll work it really should work. If not then check the FW or cable. In my opinion it should be a significant improvement. I never really like the output of the classic.

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:51 PM Post #542 of 4,883

You can use the HA-2 audio jack in, but it would probably bypass the HA-2 DAC so it will only function as an amplifier. 

EDIT: If you can make it work through the USB, then I'd say the sound quality will improve. The sound from my Note 4 vs HA-2 is easily distinguishable.

The Oppo source said you could run it through the USB and the HA-2 DAC.  I'm looking for someone who has done this and can explain the improvement.  I think some earlier posts in this thread said they had achieved compatibility with the iPod and the HA-2.

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #543 of 4,883

The Oppo source said you could run it through the USB and the HA-2 DAC.  I'm looking for someone who has done this and can explain the improvement.  I think some earlier posts in this thread said they had achieved compatibility with the iPod and the HA-2.

My 160 ghz iPod Classic (with firmware 2,0.4) certainly does work with the HA-2. Just tried it for the first time after reading the inquiries about it here. I have been using it with my HA-1 and it works great with my older iPod Dock. Oppo remote and iPhone app work with it as well to control the iPod.

Using the USB connector out of Oppo HA-2 (or HA-1) into the iPod dock (or direct) into the 30 pin connector on iPod works flawlessly.

Since I've just tried it for the first time today, I don't really have any impressions on whether there is a significant sound improvement but my guess is and from the brief minute or two that I listened to it, I would think that the Oppo HA-2 will trump the sound of just the iPod alone.

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #545 of 4,883
I can't play DSD256 files on my Note 4 using UAPP with HA-2 and same for PC using Jriver. How do you play DSD256 files using HA-2 since the spec for HA-2 support DSD256?

Your software has to support native streaming of DSD to the HA-2. To my knowledge, no smartphone can actually do that (looks like the iPhone 5S and above supports DSD256 via DoP, but the HA-2 says it requires native streaming) and only Windows can.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #546 of 4,883
Your software has to support native streaming of DSD to the HA-2. To my knowledge, no smartphone can actually do that (looks like the iPhone 5S and above supports DSD256 via DoP, but the HA-2 says it requires native streaming) and only Windows can.

I think the Onkyo HF App on Android supports 256dsd, I'm using that app with my ha-2 and note 4 but not tried that particular type of DSD yet.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #548 of 4,883
I think the Onkyo HF App on Android supports 256dsd, I'm using that app with my ha-2 and note 4 but not tried that particular type of DSD yet.

Ah okay. I wasn't aware of that app being available on Android too. I use the one on my iPhone but since I have the 4S, DSD256 isn't supported.

So which window software support native streaming for DSD256 I tried Jriver and it doesn't work

I just use Foobar.

Mar 24, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #550 of 4,883
What are the other amps that compete with the HA-2 in terms of match to iDevice and use of ESS Sabre? Is the sound quality of the HA-2 comparable to any desktop AMPs?
The Headfonia guy seemed to prefer the Microshar G3 after looking at it. It is a more expensive AMP/DAC though. Comparatively speaking how underpriced is the HA-2 at $299?
Also looks like Oppo are out of stock on the HA-2's again now so they must be flying off the "shelves"

Mar 24, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #551 of 4,883
Beside SQ, what I am most impressed about the HA-2 so far is that, not only does it support iPod Nano 7G for digital-out over the Lightning connector, but it also supports my good old iPod Nano 4G on its 30pins connector.

HA2-09.jpg

HA2-10.jpg

Did I say I am impressed?

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #553 of 4,883
Back-ordered HA-2s will ship this afternoon, but we have sold out of this shipment. We will be out of stock again until mid-April. We will update the website when we have a new back-order opportunity available.

Mar 24, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #555 of 4,883
My 160 ghz iPod Classic (with firmware 2,0.4) certainly does work with the HA-2. Just tried it for the first time after reading the inquiries about it here. I have been using it with my HA-1 and it works great with my older iPod Dock. Oppo remote and iPhone app work with it as well to control the iPod.

Using the USB connector out of Oppo HA-2 (or HA-1) into the iPod dock (or direct) into the 30 pin connector on iPod works flawlessly.

Since I've just tried it for the first time today, I don't really have any impressions on whether there is a significant sound improvement but my guess is and from the brief minute or two that I listened to it, I would think that the Oppo HA-2 will trump the sound of just the iPod alone.

Remember my black Classic ipod, has nice storage for apple lossless files, like 8, 600 lac files... and using digital out made it sound better.. until it fell turned ON and well hard disk was a goner.... well now after apple discontinued it... had to buy a Sony walkman A17 with 64GB and inserted a 128GB microSD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back