Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #5,281 of 5,414
... Do any of you cool your HA-1? I just started cooling mine and I was wondering if you all have any thoughts on the subject. It really keeps the whole unit cool now. Looks sort of dorky tho but who cares, right?:thermometer_face:
Being a pure class A amplifier the heat is normal. Mine heats up as well and have no issues with it. I guess it was engineered in such a manner to be able to cope with high temperatures.
It can't hurt to cool it, especially for the HA-1 which runs hotter than most solid state preamps. Sure, it is designed to run hot and is well ventilated. But all else equal, higher temps mean slightly higher internal noise (thermal noise depends in part on temperature) and shorter life of internal components.

Note: I'm not saying the HA-1 will melt or self-destruct. It's been totally reliable for many people. My point is only that does run hot and has had more than its fair share of heat related failures. So additional cooling isn't a bad idea.

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #5,282 of 5,414
I’ve not tried the LCD-1, but do run LCD-2C’s with mine with excellent results.
Thanks! Double the price so it must be twice as good...:)

Jun 15, 2020 at 1:59 PM Post #5,283 of 5,414
It can't hurt to cool it, especially for the HA-1 which runs hotter than most solid state preamps. Sure, it is designed to run hot and is well ventilated. But all else equal, higher temps mean slightly higher internal noise (thermal noise depends in part on temperature) and shorter life of internal components.

Note: I'm not saying the HA-1 will melt or self-destruct. It's been totally reliable for many people. My point is only that does run hot and has had more than its fair share of heat related failures. So additional cooling isn't a bad idea.
So, what's the best way to cool the HA-1? Lay a fan on top of the grille? Wouldn't that be noisy?

Jun 15, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #5,284 of 5,414
So, what's the best way to cool the HA-1? Lay a fan on top of the grille? Wouldn't that be noisy?
Buy a silent cooling fan and just put it exhaust up on the grill. Yes, looks very weird but it works and no noise.

EDIT: This is the fan I bought at amazon. AC Infinity 140mm cooling fan. It's a tad big so maybe the 120mm would be a better fit for the HA-1.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #5,286 of 5,414
Jun 16, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #5,288 of 5,414
I used the USB plug on the HA-1 face plate. It's only active when the amp is on soooo when you turn the HA-1 off, the fan shuts down as well.
Very good, thank you.

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #5,290 of 5,414
I just received a pair of Hifiman Arya headphones. They are spectacular by the way. I tried them on several amps (O2/SDAC, Audeze Deckard, THX AAA789, LCX/SDAC, ADI-2DAC, but they sound best paired with the Oppo HA1. I'm only running single-ended until I receive my balanced cable, but the Oppo HA1 is superb!

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #5,291 of 5,414
I just received a pair of Hifiman Arya headphones. They are spectacular by the way. I tried them on several amps (O2/SDAC, Audeze Deckard, THX AAA789, LCX/SDAC, ADI-2DAC, but they sound best paired with the Oppo HA1. I'm only running single-ended until I receive my balanced cable, but the Oppo HA1 is superb!
Good. Where are you getting a balanced cable from?

Dec 30, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #5,294 of 5,414
Apr 28, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #5,295 of 5,414
I just got my Oppo HA1, my first impression for this money very good unit, I sow some people complain about Oppo for lcd4 not powerful enough, I’m listening right now Oppo with lcd 4, after I put gain volume, oppo has enough power, again it’s not the best in the world unit, but for 1000 or less hard to find any better, maybe impossible

Users who are viewing this thread

Back