Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #5,296 of 5,414
Hey Gene,

I just love my HA 1…..it’s got plenty of juice for my Senn’s HD 800S and my DanClarks AFC’s. I think it a real shame that Oppo quit making Audio gear,, Their quality and value was really good…I still have my Oppo BDP 105 and because I Roon the ol’ player does not get the use it used to but I’m not selling it!

I think people that think it is underpowered don’t know that to get the most juice out of the HA1 is to run balanced in and balanced out…..

Cheers!

Apr 28, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #5,297 of 5,414
As a former HA1 owner, I can say it's a great DAC+preamp+headphone amp. Great flexibility and clean neutral sound. When using balanced outputs, it is among the most powerful headphone amps. Amir measured mine at ASR and it produced 7 WATTS of output into 50 ohms, at .02% (-74 dB) THD+Noise.

They do have 2 issues that can arise. One, the volume knob can fail, and replacing it is difficult due to its internal complexity. Two, the protection relays can get over-sensitive causing it to occasionally shut itself off when you're listening to it. It runs pretty warm/hot, so it needs plenty of ventilation which is likely a contributing factor to these issues. So, keep it cool!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #5,299 of 5,414
As a former HA1 owner, I can say it's a great DAC+preamp+headphone amp. Great flexibility and clean neutral sound. When using balanced outputs, it is among the most powerful headphone amps. Amir measured mine at ASR and it produced 7 WATTS of output into 50 ohms, at .02% (-74 dB) THD+Noise.

They do have 2 issues that can arise. One, the volume knob can fail, and replacing it is difficult due to its internal complexity. Two, the protection relays can get over-sensitive causing it to occasionally shut itself off when you're listening to it. It runs pretty warm/hot, so it needs plenty of ventilation which is likely a contributing factor to these issues. So, keep it cool!
I can say mine will never be for sale….I think it’s pretty cool the Head Amp has such a great rep that’s it’s selling for more than new!…. My only complaint is the internal DAC….it’s an ESS DAC that sounds brittle next to my Yggy…..that’s ok though because I can still run balanced out and in to get the best HA 1 performance!

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #5,300 of 5,414
This
... My only complaint is the internal DAC….it’s an ESS DAC that sounds brittle next to my Yggy…..that’s ok though because I can still run balanced out and in to get the best HA 1 performance!
This reminds me of a quirk of the HA-1 that I discovered when bench testing it. It has 2 internal stages: (A) the amplifier, which is high power and discrete, and (B) the line stage, which is op-amp based. Stage (B) is a tad cleaner than (A) having slightly lower noise & distortion (but obviously, it is low power and can't drive low impedance loads). One would expect the HA-1 to use stage (A) for the headphone outputs on the front, and stage (B) for the line outs in the back. But that's not how the HA-1 works. Instead, stage (B) is only used when the HA-1 is in "pass-through" mode which disables the volume control! So, in normal mode (when the volume control is active), stage (A) is used even for the line outs in the back.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:36 PM Post #5,301 of 5,414
All I know is I use balanced in and balanced out to my cans. My system sits on the other side of the room. I only sit 9’ from my front speakers but I need about an 18’ headphone cable to my couch. So I made frequent use of the wonderful remote volume controI. I think I got lucky and got a unit that has no volume control problems. It runs hot but I give it great ventilation….I have never had it thermally shut down.

Apr 29, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #5,303 of 5,414
I just got my Oppo HA1, my first impression for this money very good unit, I sow some people complain about Oppo for lcd4 not powerful enough, I’m listening right now Oppo with lcd 4, after I put gain volume, oppo has enough power, again it’s not the best in the world unit, but for 1000 or less hard to find any better, maybe impossible
Welcome..enjoy in OPPO

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #5,304 of 5,414
My HA-1 has started to develop an error after warming up. When cold, The stereo balance is normal, but after getting hot, The right channel volum gets less loud. (Both using balanced Headphones and studio monitors.)

Have anyone had simular issues?

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #5,305 of 5,414
Welcome..enjoy in OPPO
Thank You, that’s what I’m doing right now, I also connected to Mytek Brooklyn Bridge, seems to me sound became little bit warmer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Apr 29, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #5,308 of 5,414
My HA-1 has started to develop an error after warming up. When cold, The stereo balance is normal, but after getting hot, The right channel volum gets less loud. (Both using balanced Headphones and studio monitors.)

Have anyone had simular issues?
These are symptoms of the volume control (analog potentiometer) going bad. Typically this is heat related, so cleaning won't fix it. The volume control must be replaced. The job isn't complex but it is tedious because of the HA-1's layout. It requires repair/soldering, can be done yourself if you are skilled, otherwise most repair shops can do it.

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #5,309 of 5,414
These are symptoms of the volume control (analog potentiometer) going bad. Typically this is heat related, so cleaning won't fix it. The volume control must be replaced. The job isn't complex but it is tedious because of the HA-1's layout. It requires repair/soldering, can be done yourself if you are skilled, otherwise most repair shops can do it.
Is there a guide on how to do it, and what parts to Get?

Apr 29, 2021 at 4:24 PM Post #5,310 of 5,414
Scary stuff, guys, what you think, if something happens is it possible to find shop to fix oppo ? All we know Oppo stopped to make HA1 , for example I just got my unit, which looks like new, for real, but who knows what could be tomorrow, for example I changed Ifi pro idsd 2 times and now again I have a problem with screen , that’s why I’m worry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back