Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 5, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #5,326 of 5,414
I have a BDP-83 that I use as a universal transport. It plays anything (CD, DVD-A, SACD, DVD, Blu-Ray), and properly decodes pre-emphasis and HDCD on its digital outputs. With DSD, it can pass it through or convert to LPCM. I can burn my high-res music files to my own blanks in DVD-A format (using free open source dvda-author) and the BDP-83 plays them. I like it and dread the day it dies and I have to replace it.

May 8, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #5,327 of 5,414
I never sold my BDP 105...so bummed Oppo went the cell phone route instead of staying in Audio....a 205 for $6K??? Yikes!

Sep 25, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #5,328 of 5,414
I signed up for the 6 month free promo with Apple Music and I played Metallica's Black Album which is in hi res lossless in 24/96. for some reason, on the HA-1, it is showing as 32/96. I am using my iPhone 12 Pro Max which is on iOS15. I have some screenshots below - what am I doing wrong here please?

Attachments

• IMG_5592.PNG
    IMG_5592.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5593.jpg
    IMG_5593.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Sep 25, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #5,329 of 5,414
I signed up for the 6 month free promo with Apple Music and I played Metallica's Black Album which is in hi res lossless in 24/96. for some reason, on the HA-1, it is showing as 32/96. I am using my iPhone 12 Pro Max which is on iOS15. I have some screenshots below - what am I doing wrong here please?
it is OK. Oppo does not upsample the signal above 96kHz, but internally it is processing as 32 kbit/s for faster timing. It is very similar like windows 32 and 64 bit, both can run 96kHz audio, but process in different way.
BTW: I love OPPO HA1 so much, even bought recently the THIRD one! Yes I have 3 of them now.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #5,330 of 5,414
Neither you nor the HA-1 are doing anything wrong.

96-32 means it converts each 24-bit sample to 32 bits. This is a lossless transparent conversion; it's essentially 0 padding the 24-bit values to a 4 byte 32-bit word. None of the bits change, they simply shift left. It might randomize or dither the LSB, but this is sonically transparent as it's several bits below the lowest of the original 24 bits. It is not resampled, still 96k samples per second.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #5,331 of 5,414
thank you very much for responding guys :) i bought mine pre-loved as a father's day gift for myself this year and I really love pairing it with the PM-1. for added nostalgia, i managed to find the original Oppo XLR cable that I did not manage to get all those years back when the PM-1 was newly released.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #5,333 of 5,414
Hi loves. First time on this forum. I have an Oppo HA-1 and there is probably something with a relay. Oppo will turn off automatically after about 11 seconds. An interesting fact is that if I put the headphone jack on and take it out until I change the relay, and if I keep repeating it, Oppo will not turn off. I am asking for advice on what to do.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DZnRatTEmR5Xhwn6RT8uUgOQhTCtajXU/view
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dVJmIxaMQki3iVygCyeX9uWPnWnx_UFE/view
Please Help.
Regards

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #5,334 of 5,414
The HA-1 has several protection relays and mine would sometimes trigger unnecessarily like you describe. My solution was to turn it off, unplug it, spray some electrical contact cleaner into the 1/4" headphone jack, insert and remove a 1/4" headphone jack several times to exercise the connection and contacts, then spray in some compressed air to dry it out, then wait at least 30 minutes for any residual spray to dry up, then plug it in and turn it on.

In my case, this would fix the problem for a month or two. My long-term solution was to sell the HA-1 while it was still working. I liked its functionality & sound quality, but I figured it was only a matter of time before it needed servicing, given its finicky relays and the fact that its volume knob has a reputation for failing.

PS: before anyone says I'm crazy for spraying electrical cleaner into my HA1, the above solution was recommended by Oppo support when I asked them about it!

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #5,335 of 5,414
The HA-1 has several protection relays and mine would sometimes trigger unnecessarily like you describe. My solution was to turn it off, unplug it, spray some electrical contact cleaner into the 1/4" headphone jack, insert and remove a 1/4" headphone jack several times to exercise the connection and contacts, then spray in some compressed air to dry it out, then wait at least 30 minutes for any residual spray to dry up, then plug it in and turn it on.

In my case, this would fix the problem for a month or two. My long-term solution was to sell the HA-1 while it was still working. I liked its functionality & sound quality, but I figured it was only a matter of time before it needed servicing, given its finicky relays and the fact that its volume knob has a reputation for failing.

PS: before anyone says I'm crazy for spraying electrical cleaner into my HA1, the above solution was recommended by Oppo support when I asked them about it!
Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I will do as you suggest. I'll let you know if anything helped. regards

Dec 6, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #5,337 of 5,414
MRC001
Do you have to start it? remove the casing? You know how to do it ?
In more detail, this is what Oppo recommended and worked for me as a temporary fix:
  • Do not remove the case.
  • Get some electrical contact cleaner spray like this or this.
  • Turn off the HA1, then unplug it.
  • Slide the spray can's thin nozzle tube inside the 1/4" headphone jack plug hole.
  • Give it a quick blast of spray - not a big long blast.
  • Then (immediately, while it's still a bit wet inside) full insert and fully remove a 1/4" headphone jack in the plug, repeatedly about 5 times, to exercise the switch contacts inside the plug.
  • Then give the headphone jack plug hole a little blast of air to dry it out, using something like this or this.
  • Let it sit for 30 mins before you plug it in and turn it on.

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #5,338 of 5,414
Love this thing, got it basically open box in 2021... but...
1. Thinking of doing tube setup, I love how the ES9018 is so relaxed but are there any DAC's in the $500 that are smooth but significantly more resolving to hook up to tubes and maybe as a bypass for my HA-1 if I can
2. My potentiometer is making scratch noises on turn, this is a known issue caused by dust getting on it, I have a can of compressed air, I know from ASR changing it is hard... difficulty/risk opening the thing + spraying with compressed air and any fixes for it besides just covering the top vent... really anything to stop more dust from getting on it as it will hurt resale but that won't risk overheating from lack of airflow(I know that is an oxymoron, airflow = dust but curious how you all handle it)

ALSO FOR ANYONE WITH MAGNET TWS/GALAXY BUDS PRO IT DOESN'T SEEM TO DO LONG TERM DAMAGE BUT DO NOT SET YOUR TWS CASE ON TOP OF YOUR HA-1 IT JUST STOPS WORKING/MAKING SOUND UNTIL YOU TAKE IT OFF D:

Cannot say it enough, love this thing wish there was a warranty, I have no idea what I will do when it breaks except spend 3-5x as much for another ES9018 DAC + a relaxed smooth high end amp

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 3:05 AM Post #5,339 of 5,414
2022. Still love my OPPO HA1. Two Silvers and one black.

Black Oppo Ha1.jpg

Last setup.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #5,340 of 5,414
You kinda hoggin the HA-1's aren't ya? How do you possibly use/need 3 HP amps? ...Oh I know....instant comparison of all your Focal collection without having to actually switch Headphone cords...:wink:. I only have one Black one and it does not get a fraction of the use that my main speakers get. I just love crankin up the tunes Main Speakers) that Headphones just don't do it for me most of the time. Great for late night listening without pissing off the SO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back