Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #4,816 of 5,414
I have tried both balanced and unbalanced connections out of my Oppo BDP 105 into the balanced and unbalanced inputs of my Oppo HA-1 and haven't noticed a significant difference in signal quality or level. However, the balanced output vs. the single ended output of the HA-1 is very noticeable. The power output through the balanced connection of the HA-1 will give much higher power to your headphones.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #4,817 of 5,414
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was wondering, when I do get new headphones, if  I should get ones that offer a balanced cable option like the Oppo PM1/2 ? 
It appears (looking at the PM-1) that the balanced cable ends at 2 S/E plugs at the headphone. I wasn't sure what ,if any, difference it would make by having a balanced cable if it will be S/E connection at the headphone speakers anyway.

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #4,819 of 5,414
  Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was wondering, when I do get new headphones, if  I should get ones that offer a balanced cable option like the Oppo PM1/2 ? 
It appears (looking at the PM-1) that the balanced cable ends at 2 S/E plugs at the headphone. I wasn't sure what ,if any, difference it would make by having a balanced cable if it will be S/E connection at the headphone speakers anyway.

You would absolutely benefit from a balanced cable in that it would take less power/volume out of your HA-1 to drive your headphones with the balanced vs. the SE cable. 

Jan 12, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #4,820 of 5,414
I have been using the HA-1, PM-1/PM-3 since their release.  They are great products, I have never seen better built headphones or amp, at any price.  I have both cables, balanced and the original unbalanced that I have used between the HA-1 and the PM-1.  Two weeks ago I switched from the balanced cable back to the original unbalanced cable after having used the balanced for over a year and a half.  I have the HA-1 set to normal gain and with the balanced cable I would usually set the volume to -25.0 db and with the unbalanced set to around -13.5 db.  I find no difference in sound quality between the two cables I just have to use more gain with the unbalance cable.  I will continue to A/B the two different cables for a while and will report back to this thread if my opinion changes.

Jan 13, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #4,821 of 5,414

If I am understanding what you asking tng, (should you get a balanced cable vs single ended cable with new headphones? ) example;  pm-1 with single ended vs balanced ended. It would depend on what amps you are considering. Obviously, you are thinking of the HA-1 currently so you could use either.  However, if you intend on using the HA-1 as your primary amp, as others have said, the balanced cable offers a more powerful driving option than does the single ended option and one also that many feel  ( i am still waiting on my balanced cables so i can't offer an opinion)  have a sound quality benefit also.  Many amps that have the balanced option offer that same advantage so balanced has much in it's favor

That being said, if you are thinking that you may use multiple amps including some with no balanced output then you may want to elect a single ended option and if need be, add a balanced cable later.  Single may be the better way to go if you intend to use your headphone in multiple ways such as thru phones, computers without amps,  and portable usage.  In short, the single ended option will give you more options in usage with new headphones.  Personally, I always go with a single ended cable with initial purchase of a new headphone and then add a balanced cable later if I only intend the headphone to be used as desktop or non- portable usage.  Others i'm sure will have differing opinions. 

Jan 13, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #4,822 of 5,414
I have the same opinion and it's really an easy decision since the PM-1/2 are packaged with the S/E cable at no extra cost, in addition with the shorter, 1/8" cable for mobile devices. So if/when you receive your HP's you can easily decide if it's good enough. The only difference between the two that I've really noticed is the increase in power with the balanced cable. Sonically, there isn't that much difference besides the gain/power you get with the balanced cable.

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #4,823 of 5,414
Hi,

I may be a bit confused but I recently got the PM1's and it ships with 2 unblanaced cables (3.5mm and 1/4''), right?

The balanced cable you were talking about is 3rd party if I understand correctly.
Would you be so kind as to post a link towards it?

Thank you,

Jan 13, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #4,824 of 5,414
  Hi,

I may be a bit confused but I recently got the PM1's and it ships with 2 unblanaced cables (3.5mm and 1/4''), right?

The balanced cable you were talking about is 3rd party if I understand correctly.
Would you be so kind as to post a link towards it?

Thank you,

Actually Oppo sells 3m and 5m balanced cables. Its hard to find on their website. PM-1>support>accessories>replacement ear pads>personal audio accessories.
http://www.oppodigital.com/products.asp?cat=40

Jan 13, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #4,826 of 5,414
Now that I have had the Ha-1 for 2 years I think it is time I gave some impressions. 

What do i like about it?

1. Reliable solid operation.

2. Very flexible, plenty of inputs.

3. Looks great.

4. Headphone output is good.

What don't I like? 

1. The pre out on the back is not discrete class A like the headphone output. It is not in the same league as the headphone output. So much so, that I have don't use it for serious listening with speakers but take the signal from the headphone out at the front and use an adaptor to make it compatible with RCA cables. I find this very annoying and I would have been happy to pay $100 more for a better line output stage. Hell, the cables I use with it cost quite a bit more than $100...

If Oppo were to fix this the Ha-1 would be close to perfect as far as I am concerned.  

The Oppo is made to a price, and for that price I think you get something very special.

Jan 13, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #4,828 of 5,414
  I've looked and haven't found a 'plug and play' HA-1 headphone balanced-out to left/right RCA adapter.  If I might ask, what adapter are you using and where did you get it?

You can look till hell freezes over and you still will not find it because there is no such thing and there never will be. I used a single ended to RCA adapter, along the lines of this. RCA is not balanced.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107193-6-35-mm-Splitter-Adaptor/dp/B003DBP62K/ref=sr_1_36?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1484363909&sr=1-36&keywords=1%2F4+inch+to+rca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back