Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #4,561 of 5,414
That doesn't make any sense to me. I use my HA-1 for everything, including all of my games. GTA, overwatch, witcher 3, etc. never had a single problem.

Through computer or game console?

Aug 17, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #4,563 of 5,414
FYI....I run my HA-1 from my MAC mini and let in run 24 straight hours to accumulate break in time with zero problems!

Aug 18, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #4,564 of 5,414
  FYI....I run my HA-1 from my MAC mini and let in run 24 straight hours to accumulate break in time with zero problems!

You're running a Mac and as I understood it, there are no problems with Apple computers.

My concern was strictly related running HA-1 via a PC computer.
Can anyone else confirm/infirm that there is no sound in various computer games/other apps running on a PC?

#feelsbadman

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #4,565 of 5,414

You're running a Mac and as I understood it, there are no problems with Apple computers.

My concern was strictly related running HA-1 via a PC computer.
Can anyone else confirm/infirm that there is no sound in various computer games/other apps running on a PC?

#feelsbadman

I am another who can confirm no issues with any games that I have played via PC/Steam, including Witcher 3, GTA V, Doom (2016), Dark Souls 3, Shadow of Mordor, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Alien Isolation, etc., that is probably enough :).  My rigs are currently in shambles as my gaming rig is in the middle of an upgrade to Titan XP (awaiting waterblock from EK) along with my "battle station" being torn apart as I am working on adding a pair of studio monitors, new KB/mouse with better position (switching between Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum and K70 LUX RGB with browns).  Once my gaming rig is bootable again I can look into settings, but it was straight forward, I don't recall having to do anything unique.  Basically install Oppo driver, set the USB DAC as default device in playback devices, and good to go.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:35 PM Post #4,566 of 5,414
  I am another who can confirm no issues with any games that I have played via PC/Steam, including Witcher 3, GTA V, Doom (2016), Dark Souls 3, Shadow of Mordor, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Alien Isolation, etc., that is probably enough :).  My rigs are currently in shambles as my gaming rig is in the middle of an upgrade to Titan XP (awaiting waterblock from EK) along with my "battle station" being torn apart as I am working on adding a pair of studio monitors, new KB/mouse with better position (switching between Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum and K70 LUX RGB with browns).  Once my gaming rig is bootable again I can look into settings, but it was straight forward, I don't recall having to do anything unique.  Basically install Oppo driver, set the USB DAC as default device in playback devices, and good to go.

The Titan XP is not compatible with the Oppo. Please send it to me and I will take good care of it for you.

Aug 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #4,567 of 5,414
  The Titan XP is not compatible with the Oppo. Please send it to me and I will take good care of it for you.

Dang it, not again :/.  I hope the last guy is taking good care of my (his I guess) Titan X, gimme your address I guess.  I really need to find a card that is compatible, iGPU gaming isn't very awesome :/.  WTH NVidia!

Aug 19, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #4,568 of 5,414
As a new owner of Oppo HA1 I was hoping that you cold help me with some guidance on volume levels. 

I use Oppo to drive the Sennheiser HD800S through its balanced XLR headphone output on the front, but I also attached Bang & Olufsen Beolab 3 active speakers to the RCA preamp outputs on the rear.

My music source is an iMac, connected to Oppo with an USB cable. The music is played by Audirvana software; the volume control in Audirvana settings is set to "DAC only", meaning that I control the volume only by the volume knob on Oppo, and not by digital volume control in Audirvana or iMac. 

The problem is that the Beolab 3 speakers sound very loud already at low Oppo volume knob levels, I can only use the knob range between 7 and 9 o'clock position (between -60dB and -27dB).  I read the Oppo instructions on using the volume knob (Understanding the HA-1's Analog Volume Control) and by using many repeated single clicks on the volume buttons on the remote control I now rarely overshoot into uncomfortably loud volume, but moving within such a narrow range of volume is still a nuisance. 

Further, if I listen to HD800S headphones (by muting the preamp output through Mute button on the remote) at normal gain setting, the volume knob can go up to 2 o'clock position (about -5dB) before the music gets too loud. If I forget to turn down the volume before clicking Mute button again to unmute the speakers, the loud music blast from the speakers wakes up the entire neighborhood :)  If I use the high gain setting on the headphone out, I can go up to 11 o'clock position on the volume knob (about -16dB), but this is still higher than the range that I can use for speakers. 

I have two questions:

1. If I do nothing and continue listening to speakers at such low volume levels (on average -40dB), am I getting the same sound quality as if the volume level was higher (e.g. -10dB)? 

2. Is installing an attenuator between preamp outputs on the rear of Oppo and these active speakers a viable option to allow me to use a wider range on the volume knob? For instance, I found  this attenuator for Beolab line of speakers at soundsheavenly, but  as a complete novice to audio gear I am not sure if such a device is suitable also for my case. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Aug 19, 2016 at 6:32 PM Post #4,569 of 5,414
  As a new owner of Oppo HA1 I was hoping that you cold help me with some guidance on volume levels. 

I use Oppo to drive the Sennheiser HD800S through its balanced XLR headphone output on the front, but I also attached Bang & Olufsen Beolab 3 active speakers to the RCA preamp outputs on the rear.

My music source is an iMac, connected to Oppo with an USB cable. The music is played by Audirvana software; the volume control in Audirvana settings is set to "DAC only", meaning that I control the volume only by the volume knob on Oppo, and not by digital volume control in Audirvana or iMac. 

The problem is that the Beolab 3 speakers sound very loud already at low Oppo volume knob levels, I can only use the knob range between 7 and 9 o'clock position (between -60dB and -27dB).  I read the Oppo instructions on using the volume knob (Understanding the HA-1's Analog Volume Control) and by using many repeated single clicks on the volume buttons on the remote control I now rarely overshoot into uncomfortably loud volume, but moving within such a narrow range of volume is still a nuisance. 

Further, if I listen to HD800S headphones (by muting the preamp output through Mute button on the remote) at normal gain setting, the volume knob can go up to 2 o'clock position (about -5dB) before the music gets too loud. If I forget to turn down the volume before clicking Mute button again to unmute the speakers, the loud music blast from the speakers wakes up the entire neighborhood :)  If I use the high gain setting on the headphone out, I can go up to 11 o'clock position on the volume knob (about -16dB), but this is still higher than the range that I can use for speakers. 

I have two questions:

1. If I do nothing and continue listening to speakers at such low volume levels (on average -40dB), am I getting the same sound quality as if the volume level was higher (e.g. -10dB)? 

2. Is installing an attenuator between preamp outputs on the rear of Oppo and these active speakers a viable option to allow me to use a wider range on the volume knob? For instance, I found  this attenuator for Beolab line of speakers at soundsheavenly, but  as a complete novice to audio gear I am not sure if such a device is suitable also for my case. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Are those powered speakers, and if yes,  do they have their own volume control? If they are, does setting the Home Theater Bypass to fixed solve your problem? Are you looking to use the Oppo to control the volume?

Aug 20, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #4,570 of 5,414

Are those powered speakers? If they are, does setting the Home Theater Bypass to fixed solve your problem?

They are active speakers, i.e. powered, and with built-in amplifier. They don't come with their own volume control. There sensitivity is listed as 88 dB SPL re 125 mVrms re 1m.

If i understand correctly, switching on the home theater bypass on Oppo HA1 would send full unattenuated signal from preamp outputs into the speakers, and I would be left without any way to control the speaker volume. Unless I completely misunderstood the concept of this bypass, this is something I am afraid to even try out for fear of damaging the speakers and my ears.  

Aug 20, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #4,571 of 5,414

I am not claiming the Oppo HA-1 does not work for games; simply said I cannot get it to work and went on to ask people to share the settings to make the steam games work.

I have tried to make the USB DAC as default device in playback devices, also I have optical toslink (realtek) tried making that the default device...still nothing from Steam games (GTA V, NFS...).

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #4,573 of 5,414
  If I were money tight (which I am), and wanted something like the HA-1, but wanted it to also power a set of bookshelf speakers (30-50w would suffice) and have a dedicated subwoofer out, what should I be looking at? I think if Oppo offered such a device, I'd be all over it.

Slightly off topic and will result in pages of flaming and product pushing. As far as recommending bookshelf speakers; its really up to your preference but be on the lookout for those old Monsoons; those were great! They had a decent sub as well. I would love to have a pair on this Oppo.

Aug 20, 2016 at 9:28 PM Post #4,574 of 5,414
  Slightly off topic and will result in pages of flaming and product pushing. As far as recommending bookshelf speakers; its really up to your preference but be on the lookout for those old Monsoons; those were great! They had a decent sub as well. I would love to have a pair on this Oppo.

* Deleted Post * nvm.

Aug 21, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #4,575 of 5,414
  They are active speakers, i.e. powered, and with built-in amplifier. They don't come with their own volume control. There sensitivity is listed as 88 dB SPL re 125 mVrms re 1m.

If i understand correctly, switching on the home theater bypass on Oppo HA1 would send full unattenuated signal from preamp outputs into the speakers, and I would be left without any way to control the speaker volume. Unless I completely misunderstood the concept of this bypass, this is something I am afraid to even try out for fear of damaging the speakers and my ears.  

Yeah, don't set it to fixed, it would send the full signal, and I'm willing to bet that would be bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back