Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 26, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3,061 of 5,414
It looks very nice.  The HA-1 has the best implementation of the 9018 in comparison to the bdp-95 and bdp-105.  The bdp-105 has a very low noise floor but doesn't sound as silky as the bdp-95.  The HA-1 bests both of them.  The implementation of the dac chip is very important.  It will be interesting to hear the mobile version of the 9018.

I selected over night shipping for the HA-2, so hopefully I can do a quick review tomorrow before burn in.

Feb 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #3,062 of 5,414
  Has anyone experienced sonic differences between HA-1 units built in May and August 2014 (or later production). We appear to hear differences between the two units in test, May and August 2014). The May unit sounds brighter. Both units have at least 200 hours on them. Of course we could be crazy.
smile.gif

I wonder if there have been changes on the circuit boards???

What is the latest production date for the HA-1???

I am sure Hastur will reply.

TIA

I've often wondered about this. I have always found mine to be overly bright (I have fixed that now however best not to tell how as I will get abuse). Mine was purchased in June so would be May manufactured. Others remark on how nice it sounds on headphones like the HD800. We tried the HD800 on the Oppo and could not take it off any quicker. The combo was unlistenable.

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #3,063 of 5,414

I've often wondered about this. I have always found mine to be overly bright (I have fixed that now however best not to tell how as I will get abuse). Mine was purchased in June so would be May manufactured. Others remark on how nice it sounds on headphones like the HD800. We tried the HD800 on the Oppo and could not take it off any quicker. The combo was unlistenable.

I find the HA-1 to be excellent with every headphone have except the HD800, which is the only intrinsically bright headphone of the bunch.  But the HA-1 DAC+amp is a little bright, in my opinion - perfect for my LCD-2 rev.1 and OPPO PM-1.

For the HD800, I started out bypassing the HA-1's ESS9018 DAC with a Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII (NOS DAC) while still using the amp section and that did wonders, but it was still a little bit brittle - sounding really great for the first 10 minutes or so, but then the fatigue would start to set in (with the HD800).

Replacing the HA-1 amp section with a NuForce HA-200 (single-ended, Class A amp) was a "final solution" for the HD800 (using the Octave MkII DAC) and I could still be happy with that, I'm sure, but I jumped at a good deal on the Metrum Aurix amp and it has proven to be just a wee bit smoother yet more detailed than the HA-200.  The Aurix hasn't offered as much bang for the buck at improving the HD800 as compared to getting the Octave MkII, as it's really only slightly nicer than the very affordable NuForce HA-200.  

So...  I no longer use any part of the HA-1 with the HD800, but love using its amp section with everything else.

There, I broke the ice for you.
tongue.gif
  How did you "fix" your HA-1 to pacify the finicky HD800?  
biggrin.gif

Mike

Feb 27, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #3,064 of 5,414
So your fix for the HA-1/HD-800 pairing was to cut out the HA-1 altogether by using a different DAC and Amp? That's not really a fix so much as an alternative

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:15 AM Post #3,065 of 5,414
Think i'm going to take a chance and go for the HD 800's along with the HA-1. Lots of mixed reactions in this thread about this combination but i've generally found that amps/DAC's, when properly designed and implemented, doesn't provide an audibly different sound than other amps/DAC's (i'm talking apples-to-apples comparisons here as in solid-state vs. solid-state.) This is also assuming the fact that the transducers are being driven under proper conditions and parameters. I don't want to start a debate but i've always been an audio pragmatist who loves sound, and also respects science. I do plan on running it balanced and perhaps constructing my own cable with Canare wire and a Neutrik connector.

I trust that Oppo made a fully functional product that doesn't color the sound and remains a neutral link in the signal chain. It should present an accurate and natural depiction of the HD 800's sound. I feel that with all of the HA-1's features and options, and taking into account the price...it provides much more value than most products in it's price range. Also, it just looks damn sexy (The silver HA-1 with the HD 800 is visually droolworthy.)

Feb 27, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #3,066 of 5,414
let us know what you think of the pairing, if your looking for neutral I think the HA-1 is the way to go, though I can't speak for the HD-800 pairing, it goes well with my HE-560's which are on the brighter side

Feb 27, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #3,067 of 5,414
I find the HA-1 to be excellent with every headphone have except the HD800, which is the only intrinsically bright headphone of the bunch.  But the HA-1 DAC+amp is a little bright, in my opinion - perfect for my LCD-2 rev.1 and OPPO PM-1.

For the HD800, I started out bypassing the HA-1's ESS9018 DAC with a Metrum Acoustics Octave MkII (NOS DAC) while still using the amp section and that did wonders, but it was still a little bit brittle - sounding really great for the first 10 minutes or so, but then the fatigue would start to set in (with the HD800).

Replacing the HA-1 amp section with a NuForce HA-200 (single-ended, Class A amp) was a "final solution" for the HD800 (using the Octave MkII DAC) and I could still be happy with that, I'm sure, but I jumped at a good deal on the Metrum Aurix amp and it has proven to be just a wee bit smoother yet more detailed than the HA-200.  The Aurix hasn't offered as much bang for the buck at improving the HD800 as compared to getting the Octave MkII, as it's really only slightly nicer than the very affordable NuForce HA-200.  

So...  I no longer use any part of the HA-1 with the HD800, but love using its amp section with everything else.

There, I broke the ice for you. :p   How did you "fix" your HA-1 to pacify the finicky HD800?  :D

Mike

I replaced the DAC and kept the functionality and Amp. I added the Arcam irDac (pictured under iPod). So much better. Super lush, nice mid-range and treble rendered sweeter.

Happy now.

Feb 27, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #3,068 of 5,414
I wonder if there have been changes on the circuit boards???  
What is the latest production date for the HA-1???

No changes to the hardware that I am aware of. As for production date, can't really discuss this, as from our perspective a unit from May is the same build as a unit that was recently shipped from our factory. So I keep a "possible deniability" by not asking for the manufactured dates of units in stock.

Feb 27, 2015 at 5:31 AM Post #3,069 of 5,414
  Think i'm going to take a chance and go for the HD 800's along with the HA-1. Lots of mixed reactions in this thread about this combination but i've generally found that amps/DAC's, when properly designed and implemented, doesn't provide an audibly different sound than other amps/DAC's (i'm talking apples-to-apples comparisons here as in solid-state vs. solid-state.) This is also assuming the fact that the transducers are being driven under proper conditions and parameters. I don't want to start a debate but i've always been an audio pragmatist who loves sound, and also respects science. I do plan on running it balanced and perhaps constructing my own cable with Canare wire and a Neutrik connector.

I trust that Oppo made a fully functional product that doesn't color the sound and remains a neutral link in the signal chain. It should present an accurate and natural depiction of the HD 800's sound. I feel that with all of the HA-1's features and options, and taking into account the price...it provides much more value than most products in it's price range. Also, it just looks damn sexy (The silver HA-1 with the HD 800 is visually droolworthy.)

I have the HD 800,and the HA 1. I found the white filter too bright,but am very happy with the blue. I still marvel at the quality of the bass,together with good blend of mids and treble.The soundstage,is yet another stand out feature for me, together with the many ways the HA 1 can be used. I found the standard cables ok,but could not get on with the memory wire,which i removed. I found a cable guy in China,who makes cables to my spec, IE silver,balanced,no memory wire,any length i want etc. Bought three cables from him so far. Prices are around half of other manufactures. There are of course,many manufactures,who will do this for you.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #3,071 of 5,414

I have no experience with your existing set up and have only just got my HD800s today (so not run in) In my opinion, so far and only running standard jack output, I would say it is a very natural and flat response. This can make them seem a bit unexciting compared to some less neutral headphones. Another thing I have noticed is a tendancy to keep turning them up due to their extremely low distortion and angled drivers. Apart from this I am loving the pairing. I have not experienced anything unbearable yet!
I will post again in a week or so once the HD800s are run in.

Had a chance to run in the HD800s now and have to say that my initial impression has not changed.
I have still not found any track to be anything other than well balanced.

My real surprise came when I listened to some heavy rock (WOW) (never heard Ted Nugent sound better) . I don't know why but I had a pre conceived notion that the HD800 would favour acoustic/classical music. I would now say they suit all musical types (possibly excluding some types of bass bass noise crap I don't even want to call music)(but to each their own).

HA-1 with HD800 invites you to examine the music and hear exactly what you want to.

My only gripe with HD800 is the amount of noise spill, the large open back does not make them any good for discreet listening at decent volume.

Feb 27, 2015 at 6:57 AM Post #3,072 of 5,414

I have been using the HA-1 with the Audeze LCD3s; The LCD3s are difficult to drive HPs and quite power hungry. No problem at all, the HA-1 does a superb job with the HPs and the sound is balanced and detailed. I think you will enjoy your selection - I honestly think if anyone wants to find fault with a setup they will eventually find one. On the other hand, chilaxing and focusing on the music without fretting over peculiarities will make you enjoy all the great qualities of the rig that you have put together 
wink.gif

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #3,074 of 5,414
A quick update on my drop out issue.

I have been exchanging emails with Oppo support and found them helpful. They have not been able to re-create the problem from their end and suggested returning the unit for testing however I thought I would experiment with some different software and having heard good things on here about JRiver decided to give it a try (Media Centre 20) Well the problem appears to have gone when using JRiver. I am not 100% certain yet but have not had any cut outs since swapping from iTunes to Media Centre. I don't know the reason but suspect it might be some bit rate issue as I noticed that the Oppo display changed from PCM384/32 with iTunes to PCM44/16 with Media Centre. Still finding a few frustrations using Media Centre but if the problem is fixed then bravo.

Quote:

I Have had 1 drop out with the replacement cable so that has much reduced the chance of the cable being the culprit. I am using iTunes from a Mac so there are very few settings to play with. Not like on a PC. Not doing anything demanding on the Mac so I do not believe it is a CPU overload issue. I will see if I get a repeat when Mac is only running iTunes.

I do not think the cable is the problem in this case as I have had another dropout with the replacement cable. I have had zero dropouts in the past with my old DAC and the one before it. Continuing to monitor today.

I also have my silver HA-1 hooked up to my iMac via USB, not a single dropout even with multi-hour listening sessions. Hope that the cable replacement was the fix you needed.

Otherwise keep in mind that especially with USB, you add a whole raft of potential issues, from your media player software (and its settings) to the Audio/MIDI settings panel to CPU usage spikes (which can affect USB since it's CPU dependent), on Windows also the audio driver setup etc.

So, in general, for everyone: the more detailed info you post, the more likely people will be able to give you specific advice on what may help.

Please keep us updated.

Not yet, I have changed USB cable (now longer but possibly better quality) if I get any repeats I will probably return amp for a refund. Is there any other product similar i.e DAC/Headphone amp with balanced output and volume controlled XLR outs?

Feb 27, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #3,075 of 5,414
I just wanted to add my $0.02 worth...

While I still consider myself to be a complete noob, I had a chance to listen to my new HD-800 paired with the HA-1.

I picked up some HD Tracks from that site, Bon Jovi, Norah Jones, Eagles (Hotel California), and my all time favorite piece, the 1812 overture..

All I can say, after listening to the 1812 I think I saw God.  I have never heard anything sound so good... It was the most amazing thing I have ever heard.  I also listened to the 1812 using the HA-1 DAC, and the Woo Audio WA7d and WA7tp, and thought it too sounded amazing.  (I didn't listen to them back to back, so couldn't compare the two right now....)

I also listened to a bit of the soundtrack to "O brother where art thou." and head details in a few of the songs, I never heard before. Norah Jones sounded amazing.

It was truly a Religious experience....

That was just my initial reaction....
Joe_Breezyjr 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back