Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #3,076 of 5,414
So your fix for the HA-1/HD-800 pairing was to cut out the HA-1 altogether by using a different DAC and Amp? That's not really a fix so much as an alternative

I never called what I do for the HD800 a "fix" for the HA-1.   I was replying to a post by Badas where he had said he had a "fixed it" but was reluctant to communicate.

I was asking him to describ his "fix."

I've often wondered about this. I have always found mine to be overly bright (I have fixed that now however best not to tell how as I will get abuse). Mine was purchased in June so would be May manufactured. Others remark on how nice it sounds on headphones like the HD800. We tried the HD800 on the Oppo and could not take it off any quicker. The combo was unlistenable.

Mike

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #3,079 of 5,414
Hello, 

Just picked up the HA1 last night and gave it a go this morning. Things work fine at "16, bit 44100 Hz", but I start hearing crackles and pops when its set to the higher 24 bit rate region. I browsed through the thread and noticed a few others reporting similar issues. Is there a solution for this as yet?

Current using a 1.5m (5 feet) long USB cable, Windows 7 64bit from a Acer laptop. Tried foobar as well as JRiver so far.

The USB end is now connected to my laptop direct, the pops were far louder when connected to powered USB hub for some reason. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #3,080 of 5,414
Were they snap, crackles and pops you were hearing? Joking aside, I haven't heard any issues with mine via USB, have you tried contacting Oppo? I primarily have been using mine with my iPhone 6 but also ran some hi-res music from my PC and had no issues yet.

Mar 1, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #3,081 of 5,414
Hello, 

Just picked up the HA1 last night and gave it a go this morning. Things work fine at "16, bit 44100 Hz", but I start hearing crackles and pops when its set to the higher 24 bit rate region. I browsed through the thread and noticed a few others reporting similar issues. Is there a solution for this as yet?

Current using a 1.5m (5 feet) long USB cable, Windows 7 64bit from a Acer laptop. Tried foobar as well as JRiver so far.

The USB end is now connected to my laptop direct, the pops were far louder when connected to powered USB hub for some reason. 

From what you describe it sounds like computer noise and interference. Some laptops and computers I've used are just terrible with some equipment. Especially if the computer has to work harder like with higher bitrate decoding. I also don't imagine a USB hub would help with the noise.

Can you try other USB outputs or coaxial and optical?

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #3,082 of 5,414
Were they snap, crackles and pops you were hearing? Joking aside, I haven't heard any issues with mine via USB, have you tried contacting Oppo? I primarily have been using mine with my iPhone 6 but also ran some hi-res music from my PC and had no issues yet.

Lol, I'm quite certain it wasn't! Haven't contacted them as yet, figured head-fi might be a quicker platform to get this sorted out.
From what you describe it sounds like computer noise and interference. Some laptops and computers I've used are just terrible with some equipment. Especially if the computer has to work harder like with higher bitrate decoding. I also don't imagine a USB hub would help with the noise.

Can you try other USB outputs or coaxial and optical?

Haven't had a chance to try coax or optical as yet, no cables on hand currently. I think you might be right, I tried via USB with two different laptops and the noise was still around and present irrespective of what bitrate I was playing at.

Switched to bluetooth and it was gone.

Would something like the Schiit Wyrd or the iFi iPurifier / iUSBPower help?

Mar 1, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #3,083 of 5,414
Lol, I'm quite certain it wasn't! Haven't contacted them as yet, figured head-fi might be a quicker platform to get this sorted out.

Haven't had a chance to try coax or optical as yet, no cables on hand currently. I think you might be right, I tried via USB with two different laptops and the noise was still around and present irrespective of what bitrate I was playing at.

Switched to bluetooth and it was gone.

Would something like the Schiit Wyrd or the iFi iPurifier / iUSBPower help?

Well there you go.

I'm not sure about the Wyrd or iFi iPurifier as I haven't used them. It looks like the Wyrd targets what you're looking for though.

I'd still contact Oppo as they may have further insights to what may be done. Their customer service is great.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #3,085 of 5,414
  Hello, 

I can run 32 bit, 384k with no issues on WIN7, JRiver MC20, and a Cabledyne 1.5m USB cable. Make sure your settings are correct in JRiver and Windows API. In Windows set the default sound driver to JRiver (WDM driver) and set for exclusive access. In JRiver Audio Device, set to the OPPO ASIO Driver. Set Output Encoding to None. Also set Bitstreaming to Custom: DSD.

Mar 1, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #3,086 of 5,414
Crackling usually means that there is missing data in the signal. Try alternative USB cables if you have not done so already.

You could also be losing bits because the buffer is not enough, or too much for your computer to handle. Open up the OPPO USB Audio Control Panel and try going through the Buffer Settings and adjusting the "USB Streaming Mode" and ASIO Buffer Size". There will likely be a combination of these settings which will result in proper audio.

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #3,087 of 5,414
I have been using my HA-1 since last July most often powering my PM-1 headphones.  I play RBCDs from My BDP-105 via coaxial, SACDs and DVD-As also from BDP-105 via XLR Balanced cables, DAT tape from a Sony A8 deck via optical input.  I use either of my two Mac computers (MacPro (2007), MacBook Pro Retina (2012)) via a Radio Shack USB (Type B) cable to play digital downloads (16/44.1, 16/48, 24/96, 24/196, DSD) via Audirvana Pro or streaming from Tidal.  I have never, repeat NEVER heard one pop or any crackling.  Just Audio bliss.  Quite honestly I would first check your computer, I would almost bet that there are no problems from newer Mac computers.  I on rare occasions, I use the HA-1 as a preamp to power Bowers & Wilkins speakers also with amazing results.  50% of my listening is through an all Oppo system.    

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:07 AM Post #3,089 of 5,414

I can run 32 bit, 384k with no issues on WIN7, JRiver MC20, and a Cabledyne 1.5m USB cable. Make sure your settings are correct in JRiver and Windows API. In Windows set the default sound driver to JRiver (WDM driver) and set for exclusive access. In JRiver Audio Device, set to the OPPO ASIO Driver. Set Output Encoding to None. Also set Bitstreaming to Custom: DSD.

Crackling usually means that there is missing data in the signal. Try alternative USB cables if you have not done so already.

You could also be losing bits because the buffer is not enough, or too much for your computer to handle. Open up the OPPO USB Audio Control Panel and try going through the Buffer Settings and adjusting the "USB Streaming Mode" and ASIO Buffer Size". There will likely be a combination of these settings which will result in proper audio.

I have been using my HA-1 since last July most often powering my PM-1 headphones.  I play RBCDs from My BDP-105 via coaxial, SACDs and DVD-As also from BDP-105 via XLR Balanced cables, DAT tape from a Sony A8 deck via optical input.  I use either of my two Mac computers (MacPro (2007), MacBook Pro Retina (2012)) via a Radio Shack USB (Type B) cable to play digital downloads (16/44.1, 16/48, 24/96, 24/196, DSD) via Audirvana Pro or streaming from Tidal.  I have never, repeat NEVER heard one pop or any crackling.  Just Audio bliss.  Quite honestly I would first check your computer, I would almost bet that there are no problems from newer Mac computers.  I on rare occasions, I use the HA-1 as a preamp to power Bowers & Wilkins speakers also with amazing results.  50% of my listening is through an all Oppo system.    

Thanks everyone, picked up a new USB cable and everything is perfect now.

The settings were all fine. The Oppo Control panel showed a "buffer size is too small" message until it was changed to a minimum of 4096 samples. Although it didn't really impact the sound from what I could tell. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back