Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Feb 25, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #3,046 of 5,414
Balanced headphone out has more power compared to single-ended out, so if you're using difficult to drive phone, do use the balanced out.
I'm only using the USB, optical and RCA in, but I prefers to ise the balanced out over single

I was considering buying a balanced cable for my HD-800s...  I seem to recall they are not the easiest to drive....  But, if it's not worth the cost... then I'll just stick to the single cable.

Thanks for the replies...
Joe_Breezyjr

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #3,047 of 5,414

I didn't understand half of this... LOL

Maybe I asked the question wrong...  If you don't use the balanced inputs, is it worth using the balanced HEADPHONE output?

I only know a little regarding balanced...  I just wonder if the headphone amp portion is able to take, say a USB signal and "turn it into" a balanced HEADPHONE output.....

I think your statement above is referring to the balanced output on the back... as you say, you're using a balanced amp...

Thanks,
Joe_Breezyjr

Joe,

You are correct as I am referring to the back outputs.  For the balanced headphone, the USB and others, the digital signal is converted to a balanced analog signals by the DAC section before its gets to the balanced amp part of the HA-1 for the balanced headphone output.  The balanced amp section for the headphone is a big part of the HA-1 design. It is like having four separate class A discrete amps driving the balanced headphone output which in turn is being controlled by the six ganged analog volume control.     

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #3,048 of 5,414
I was considering buying a balanced cable for my HD-800s...  I seem to recall they are not the easiest to drive....  But, if it's not worth the cost... then I'll just stick to the single cable.

Thanks for the replies...
Joe_Breezyjr

For HD800, I'm using after-market full copper balanced cable as the stock single-ended cable makes the HD800 sounds sterile and edgy for my liking.

Feb 25, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #3,050 of 5,414
Just get a cheap balancedcable. If your gonna spend the money on the ha-1 and hd-800 you may as well hear it at it's best.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #3,052 of 5,414
Wow...  I just spent the last hour looking for balanced cables... and, my head seriously hurts.  $700 for a cable is silly.. to me..  Maybe you like, and that's fine... Just not me...

I think I finally found a site, Norne, to buy a cable and adapter (balanced to 1/4")  But, I"ll have to look at it later because.....

MY OPPO HA-1 JUST GOT HERE...  

Time to get this party started.. LOL

If you don't hear from me for the rest of the day... you know why....  <grin>

Later,
Joe_Breezyjr

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #3,053 of 5,414
Congrats and enjoy your HA-1.  There is no reason to spend $700 on balanced cables for this level of a system.  I mainly use the silver plated copper cables that are found on Amazon or Ebay and much less. They do improve the sound quite a bit over stock cables, yet don't have to pay an arm or leg for them.

Feb 25, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #3,054 of 5,414
Wow...  I just spent the last hour looking for balanced cables... and, my head seriously hurts.  $700 for a cable is silly.. to me..  Maybe you like, and that's fine... Just not me...

I think I finally found a site, Norne, to buy a cable and adapter (balanced to 1/4")  But, I"ll have to look at it later because.....

MY OPPO HA-1 JUST GOT HERE...  

Time to get this party started.. LOL

If you don't hear from me for the rest of the day... you know why....  <grin>

Later,
Joe_Breezyjr

Get yourself Norne audio Draug 2 cable and enjoy it will be less than $300 unless you want very long one

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #3,056 of 5,414
Get yourself Norne audio Draug 2 cable and enjoy it will be less than $300 unless you want very long one

Those were the ones I found... And, ordered a set, with matching single ended adaptor, for right around $300....

I like the few customizations they offer... 

AS for my new OPPO, so far I love it...  I didn't get much time yesterday to listen...  Hopefully my HD-800 get here early enough for some listening time...

Joe_Breezyjr

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #3,058 of 5,414
Has anyone experienced sonic differences between HA-1 units built in May and August 2014 (or later production). We appear to hear differences between the two units in test, May and August 2014). The May unit sounds brighter. Both units have at least 200 hours on them. Of course we could be crazy.
smile.gif

I wonder if there have been changes on the circuit boards???

What is the latest production date for the HA-1???

I am sure Hastur will reply.

TIA

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,059 of 5,414
  The portable Oppo HA-2 released!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I placed an order just now.

https://oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/

Damn!  That is a super nice unit... :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back