Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Dec 16, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #2,056 of 5,414

thanks

I did not have the JRiver volume set to internal and have now changed this - volume seems better.  With the low gain setting the volume is quite low and I need to use the high gain.
I guess the HF-800's are more difficult to drive than some other headphones.
What Oppo USB driver are you using - I have mainly PCM files but some DSD as well

regards

Dec 16, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2,059 of 5,414
  Hi

I got my HA-1 this week and have been enjoying it thoroughly.  The build quality is impressive as is the functionality.  I would appreciate some advice from fellow members who may use a similar setup to mine.
I am using JRiver Media Center 20, Windows 8.1 64bit Prof, USB connection to HA-1 and Sennheiser HD-800's.
I installed the Oppo USB drivers and selected this as the default driver in Windows.  JRiver picks this up and gives me 4 options for the Oppo - Oppo HA-1 USB Audio 2.0 DAC ASIO, WASAPI, kernel streaming and Direct Sound.  Is any one of these thought to be the best sounding?  I have briefly tried them all but AFAICT only the ASIO and WASAPI will play both PCM and DSD natively.

Something else I noted is that with my HD-800's connected to the single ended input, the volume (high gain setting) was quite low.  I then changed to a balanced cable for the HD-800 and the volume improved.  Even with the balanced connection, I need to turn up the volume to about 3 or 4 o'clock (-2dB to 0dB) to get a loud enough volume with certain tracks.  My iFi USB headphone amp seems to drive the HD-800's more easily with the average volume setting at about 1o'clock!  My system and JRiver volume is 100%.

any comments or advice is appreciated

regards

Jose

This is a quote from JRiver:  "The Windows Audio Session API (WASAPI) ... WASAPI is the recommended Audio Output Mode for Windows unless your audio device has a well-behaved ASIO driver"  When I intalled the Oppo drivers for my HA-1 with JRIVER MC19 intalled on my windows 7 laptop, the drivers defaulted to WASAPI.   I'm using balanced connections throughout  the chain.  

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #2,063 of 5,414
Greetings,
Audiophile newb here.  I'm planning to purchase the Oppo HA-1 within the next couple of weeks.
Other than listening to it from my iMac via USB, I'd also like to use it from my iPad 3 via the Apple
CCK.  Can anyone speak to whether or not the following configuration should work?

iPad 3 --> CCK (30-pin to USB) --> USB (Type A to Type A) --> HA-1

Is a powered USB hub required?  I've read where some DACs require that a powered hub
be installed between the iPhone/iPad and DAC otherwise you'll get some sort of power
warning from the i-device. I'm hoping this won't be necessary with the HA-1.

EDIT: Will the front USB connection still utilize the DAC or will I need to connect via
the rear USB connection?  I'm curious if that front USB connection bypasses the DAC.
I want to utilize both the DAC and AMP from the iPad.

Thanks in advance!

- Bill

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #2,064 of 5,414
If you using the front USB connector according to my manual:

USB works with iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, iPod touch (5th
generation).

It does not appear you need a powered hub. You can ask OPPO directly in E-mail

Dec 18, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,065 of 5,414
  If you using the front USB connector according to my manual:

USB works with iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, iPod touch (5th
generation).

It does not appear you need a powered hub. You can ask OPPO directly in E-mail

Thanks john57.  I did in fact email OPPO but they gave me somewhat of a generic answer so I was
hoping to get confirmation from someone here who has actually used this configuration.
(Or something very similar)

EDIT: I just wanted to point out that OPPO support was very prompt in their response and they seem 
to be a class act.  I'm really looking forward to purchasing their product.

Dec 18, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #2,066 of 5,414
Greetings,
Audiophile newb here.  I'm planning to purchase the Oppo HA-1 within the next couple of weeks.
Other than listening to it from my iMac via USB, I'd also like to use it from my iPad 3 via the Apple
CCK.  Can anyone speak to whether or not the following configuration should work?

iPad 3 --> CCK (30-pin to USB) --> USB (Type A to Type A) --> HA-1

Is a powered USB hub required?  I've read where some DACs require that a powered hub
be installed between the iPhone/iPad and DAC otherwise you'll get some sort of power
warning from the i-device. I'm hoping this won't be necessary with the HA-1.

EDIT: Will the front USB connection still utilize the DAC or will I need to connect via
the rear USB connection?  I'm curious if that front USB connection bypasses the DAC.
I want to utilize both the DAC and AMP from the iPad.

Thanks in advance!

- Bill

No CCK required. The front USB works with every idevice I've tested, including iPad 4 with lightning cable and iPod classic 120gb with 30pin connector. It's as easy as plugging the one cable (lightning or 30pin) in to the front USB. The connection bypasses the apple DAC and uses the (superior) DAC in the HA-1. If you prefer the DAC in the idevice (not likely) then connect it using line out from the idevice to the line in on the HA-1.

Edit: the remote works to play/pause/skip songs with the idevice as well. The HA-1 plays very well with iDevices.

Dec 18, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #2,067 of 5,414
No CCK required. The front USB works with every idevice I've tested, including iPad 4 with lightning cable and iPod classic 120gb with 30pin connector. It's as easy as plugging the one cable (lightning or 30pin) in to the front USB. The connection bypasses the apple DAC and uses the (superior) DAC in the HA-1. If you prefer the DAC in the idevice (not likely) then connect it using line out from the idevice to the line in on the HA-1.

Edit: the remote works to play/pause/skip songs with the idevice as well. The HA-1 plays very well with iDevices.

Thank you very much for this response.  My only concern is that I'll be sitting about 5 feet away from the amp and the standard iPad USB cable
won't be long enough.  Do I just need some sort of USB extender and then problem solved?  Something like this: ??  

http://www.staples.com/Belkin-10-Gold-Series-USB-20-A-A-Male-Female-Extension-Cable/product_IM1PU9050

The plan is to have two listening configurations:
1.) Sit directly at my desk and stream music via Spotify from an iMac connected to the HA-1 USB/DAC port in the rear
2.) Sit on the couch 5 feet away and stream Spotify from an iPad connected to the HA-1 USB port in the front
* I'll be purchasing a 10' balanced HP cable to give me the length that I need from the couch

I'll toggle the input source on the HA-1 depending upon what source I'm using.

Thanks again.  I was under the impression that the CCK was required in order to bypass the iPad DAC.

- Bill

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #2,069 of 5,414
Thank you very much for this response.  My only concern is that I'll be sitting about 5 feet away from the amp and the standard iPad USB cable
won't be long enough.  Do I just need some sort of USB extender and then problem solved?  Something like this: ??  

http://www.staples.com/Belkin-10-Gold-Series-USB-20-A-A-Male-Female-Extension-Cable/product_IM1PU9050

The plan is to have two listening configurations:
1.) Sit directly at my desk and stream music via Spotify from an iMac connected to the HA-1 USB/DAC port in the rear
2.) Sit on the couch 5 feet away and stream Spotify from an iPad connected to the HA-1 USB port in the front
* I'll be purchasing a 10' balanced HP cable to give me the length that I need from the couch

I'll toggle the input source on the HA-1 depending upon what source I'm using.

Thanks again.  I was under the impression that the CCK was required in order to bypass the iPad DAC.

- Bill

Oppo has thought of pretty much everything regarding iDevices. I'm not sure about USB extensions for audio purposes as I've never had the need to do so.

Have you considered the Bluetooth option on the HA-1 if you want to listen at a distance? It works well if you're not allergic to wireless audio. Oppo has implemented one of the best Bluetooth audio codecs around. Seeing as you aren't listening to high resolution files with Spotify I see no reason to stress about directly connecting to the unit. You more than likely will not notice any difference in quality between a cable and Bluetooth, and again, the iPad works very well with this setup.

iPad on lap connected with Bluetooth, Oppo remote control or Oppo remote app, and headphones..... No fuss.

Dec 18, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #2,070 of 5,414
Oppo has thought of pretty much everything regarding iDevices. I'm not sure about USB extensions for audio purposes as I've never had the need to do so.

Have you considered the Bluetooth option on the HA-1 if you want to listen at a distance? It works well if you're not allergic to wireless audio. Oppo has implemented one of the best Bluetooth audio codecs around. Seeing as you aren't listening to high resolution files with Spotify I see no reason to stress about directly connecting to the unit. You more than likely will not notice any difference in quality between a cable and Bluetooth, and again, the iPad works very well with this setup.

iPad on lap connected with Bluetooth, Oppo remote control or Oppo remote app, and headphones..... No fuss.

Yes, I had considered Bluetooth but I had concerns about a degredation in SQ.  The USB cable/extender is cheap enough so it's probably
worth performing an A/B comparison to see if I can discern any differences.  Have you tested bluetooth and if so, how was the SQ compared
to a direct connect from an i-device?  I'll be listening primarily to Spotify/320kbps but I may do some losseless (Tidal/HDTracks/AIFF) if I'm able
to discern a big enough difference.  Thanks for your reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back