Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #2,086 of 5,414
  Has anyone tried an ifi iPurifier with their HA1? Does it double up something the HA1 is already doing, or can it actually make an improvement?

if your concerned with noise on the USB line then another solution that I'm using is the Optical USB cable from Corning...   it takes the digital at the computer and converts it to optical
then converts it back to digital at the HA-1... no USB power is on the line so no noise is getting through the cable... 

google USB 3.Optical Cable by Corning if you are interested...  

Dec 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #2,087 of 5,414
Or get a USB cable that only carries data.

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #2,088 of 5,414
Thank you everyone for their view with the HA-1 with The Audeze line. I am trying to steer away from the bright sound signature. I currently have the IDSD Micro and I'm looking for something that is just a tad bit warmer.

Dec 19, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #2,089 of 5,414

if your concerned with noise on the USB line then another solution that I'm using is the Optical USB cable from Corning...   it takes the digital at the computer and converts it to optical
then converts it back to digital at the HA-1... no USB power is on the line so no noise is getting through the cable... 

google USB 3.Optical Cable by Corning if you are interested...  

I can't find one shorter than 11 feet.   
blink.gif

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #2,090 of 5,414
Since the corning cable is designed to run at great distance you are not losing out on the cable who knows in a year or two you wish that the cable is longer. It is better to have a cable a bit too long than too short.

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:26 AM Post #2,092 of 5,414
Not an expert at all... but wouldn't this create more problems like jitter or audio degradation? With this cable, you're converting zeros and ones from usb protocol electrically, to light, and back to usb, before rhe signal get to the dac...

I think this cable was design more for printers and external hdd storage across long distances to overcome the usb length hurdle. Neat concept, but I think a bit much for audio needs, imho...

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #2,094 of 5,414
With the corning Fiber the signals stay in digital form just the medium change. Same thing happens when you use a digital input on a DAC.

Dixter,

I am assuming that you need a pigtail type A to Type B USB cable?

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #2,095 of 5,414
I am wondering if someone can help me pick an appropriate DAC? I have reduced my search to the Oppo HA-1 and the Grace Design m920. What can you tell me that would help me steer towards the HA-1. I am looking for a very good ESS 9018 implementation with full PCM and DSD high res. I also have many Apple products but don't necessarily want to stick to that requirement. I am looking at jitter free digital signal processing. The pre amp needs to have couple of inputs be RCA and XLR are fine and the same on the outputs. I also want an integrated Headphone amp. I know those two would make me and my wallet very happy but even with the reviews I can't still lock on one or the other.

Any help in swaying my position would be highly appreciated. If it's not appropriate for this thread please don"t hesitate to PM me.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,096 of 5,414
From what I can see in comparison:

For the Oppo HA-1.......

ClassA amp.
Analogue amp topology.
Balanced topology throughout.
Balanced headphone output (3W per channel output).
Remote control.
Cool display.
Apple compatibility galore.
Bluetooth connectivity.
Analogue volume pot.
Auto volume reduction on high gain selection.
Price.

For the Grace Design m920.......

X-feed feature.

I may be biased as I own the HA-1 but I enjoy it immensely.

Edit: The ESS9018 DAC implementation is fantastic in the HA-1. I'm not sure what the specified chip in the Grace m920 unit is as they are advertising an Mseries 9018 DAC. If this is the 9018k2m then it is a DAC designed for 2 channel portable use, but I can't be sure as they don't specify. The one in the HA-1 is an 8 channel DAC with higher DNR designed for desktop use with great noise rejection.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #2,098 of 5,414
Edit: The ESS9018 DAC implementation is fantastic in the HA-1. I'm not sure what the specified chip in the Grace m920 unit is as they are advertising an Mseries 9018 DAC. If this is the 9018k2m then it is a DAC designed for 2 channel portable use, but I can't be sure as they don't specify. The one in the HA-1 is an 8 channel DAC with higher DNR designed for desktop use with great noise rejection.

What others ES9018 dacs can u compare with HA-1? Some AudioGD or M-DAC maybe?

Bad implementation of sabre chip can make sound harsh and thin (for example AudioGD 10ES3). How about oppo?

@musicheaven did u considered marantz hd-dac1? Looks like a nice piece of gear, only lacking of XLR.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #2,099 of 5,414
What others ES9018 dacs can u compare with HA-1? Some AudioGD or M-DAC maybe?

Bad implementation of sabre chip can make sound harsh and thin (for example AudioGD 10ES3). How about oppo?

@musicheaven
 did u considered marantz hd-dac1? Looks like a nice piece of gear, only lacking of XLR.

I've demoed the Burson Conductor with 9018 option extensively before I purchased the HA-1. That was a while ago so I'll refrain from the details as my memory would not do the unit justice. I just know that when I ordered the HA-1 I prefered the presentation more so I kept it. Based on what I've read I am also aware that the ESS9018 can sound very harsh. I simply don't find that with the HA-1. I wish I've had the opportunity to demo the AudioGD line or M-DAC, at least for the experience of learning what the other gear sounds like.

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,100 of 5,414
I also had a Conductor for several months and i think its DAC implementation is pretty good. Very detalied, but neutral with a bit touch of warmth. Maybe its because of very good built in amplifier. Anyway, If oppo takes the same road thats really nice, beacause it has much more usability.

Does LCD can sound harsh at any gear? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back