Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #2,026 of 5,414

Fish or learn fishing...in this case you enjoy the fish.
No worries mate...
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #2,027 of 5,414
I want to have HA-1 dac feed the line out,
to connect to an external tube stage,
and then feed it back into the line in stage. ..
To play thru the Headphones amp.

At present the software does not have separate option of fully controling those rear connections.
So I am not sure what I want to do is even possible. ..

Any comments on this?

Just listen through the tube stage. No need to pass the signal back into the Oppo.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #2,029 of 5,414

Just listen through the tube stage. No need to pass the signal back into the Oppo.

Exactly what I do. Oppo as the DAC into Woo WA22 the Audeze LCD3C.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #2,030 of 5,414
My black HA-1 arrived this morning!

Quick question related to pairing with a hifiman HE-400. In high gain/single-ended I am turning the volume to -4.0-0db, is that normal for that headphone with this amp?

I am going to order a balanced cable to hear the difference and hopefully the performance.

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #2,031 of 5,414
My black HA-1 arrived this morning!

Quick question related to pairing with a hifiman HE-400. In high gain/single-ended I am turning the volume to -4.0-0db, is that normal for that headphone with this amp?

I am going to order a balanced cable to hear the difference and hopefully the performance.

I haven't tried the HE-400 however that is normal. I have noticed the gain in volume on the HA-1 is far higher in the top end than the lower middle area. You have to turn it heaps at the start for very little gain. Turn it hardly anything at the top end to get far larger gains.

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #2,032 of 5,414
I tried this:

"In my opinion, the HA-1 discrete analog path in the headphone stage sounds so good that I ended up using that output for headphone and as a line out to my various amps. With a simple audiophile 1/4-inch-to-RCA output adapter, the HA-1’s excellent, airy, detailed sound could be carried over to speaker listening. The op-amp enabled line outs are good, but the headphone section is exceptional — more space around the instruments, as delivered by 24-bit."

http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/audiophile-review-oppos-ha-1.html

Sounds pretty awesome through the speakers...

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #2,033 of 5,414
Seems like this thing is way overpriced! The BDP-105 uses the exact same dacs but has 5 channels of output not just 2 plus plays cds, dvds, sacd etc! The BDP-105 also has a headphone jack. The GA-1 should only cost half what the BDP-105 costs not the same! So either the GA-1 is way over priced or the BDP-105 is underpriced.

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #2,034 of 5,414
Seems like this thing is way overpriced! The BDP-105 uses the exact same dacs but has 5 channels of output not just 2 plus plays cds, dvds, sacd etc! The BDP-105 also has a headphone jack. The GA-1 should only cost half what the BDP-105 costs not the same! So either the GA-1 is way over priced or the BDP-105 is underpriced.

rolleyes.gif
I thought about getting the BDP-105. The reasons why I got the HA-1 instead of the BDP-105.

1. The HA-1 is an excellent pre-amp. I need one for my speaker stereo system. The BDP-1 can function as a pre-amp but it is far inferior, mainly due to the way the volume control is implemented.

2. The HA-1 has a real deal, dedicated class A headphone amp with a balanced output. The BDP-105 has nothing of the sort. Yes, it has a headphone socket, but so does my mp3 player...

If you don't care about 1 and 2, then by all means get the 105...

In terms of price/functionality ratio the HA-1 is pretty much unsurpassed in the world of headphone amplifiers. If you find something better I suggest you buy it.

Finally, the day I grow 5 ears is the day I care about 5 plus channels. Did you ever see a headphone with 5 cups?

If more effort had been put into high definition digital audio and less multi channel audio, 5.1 and above, a lot more people would be enjoying excellent high fidelity sound in their homes today, instead of cluttering their space with 5.1 plus inferior speakers, amplifiers and wires.

These days all you need for outstanding sound in your home is a computer, hi res files, something like the HA-1 and a pair of active studio monitor speakers.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #2,035 of 5,414
What Hooster said.

Class A amplification and clean circuitry doesn't come cheap and the HA-1 is a bargain for all it offers.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #2,037 of 5,414

Why not just get both :p?

But yes, the HA-1 and BDP-105 have different priorities.  I happen to own both and I use my 105 for my HT as a preamp, the HA-1 for a pair of passive speaker and headphone setup.  I've tried the headphone output on the 105 and it's not anywhere near the same quality as implemented in the HA-1.  But I get BD playback, a preamp, plenty of inputs which is my priority in that setup.  I also agree with Hooster that the digital volume control on the 105 is inferior with my own listening impressions.  I much preferred the volume control my passive tube preamp for that purpose.  

One neglected fact comparing the two is that the DAC's are implemented differently.  They do use the exact same ESS Sabre DAC but Oppo had decided to tweak the sound when implementing it in the HA-1.  I would describe the sound on the 105 as much more analytical, sterile, but more detailed and resolving than the HA-1.  Don't kid me, the HA-1 is very detailed and resolving as well, but it's definitely a warmer and funner sound than the 105.

Also, I can't really fit the 105 on my desk and have room the the monitor and computer.  

If your priority is 5 channel, HT, then by all means I would definitely encourage you to get the 105; it's a fantastic buy and I never looked back after getting it.  It has more functionality, purposes, and bells and whistles but it's certainly not a comparable headphone amplifier to the HA-1.  

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #2,038 of 5,414

rolleyes.gif
I thought about getting the BDP-105. The reasons why I got the HA-1 instead of the BDP-105.

1. The HA-1 is an excellent pre-amp. I need one for my speaker stereo system. The BDP-1 can function as a pre-amp but it is far inferior, mainly due to the way the volume control is implemented.

2. The HA-1 has a real deal, dedicated class A headphone amp with a balanced output. The BDP-105 has nothing of the sort. Yes, it has a headphone socket, but so does my mp3 player...

If you don't care about 1 and 2, then by all means get the 105...

In terms of price/functionality ratio the HA-1 is pretty much unsurpassed in the world of headphone amplifiers. If you find something better I suggest you buy it.

Finally, the day I grow 5 ears is the day I care about 5 plus channels. Did you ever see a headphone with 5 cups?

If more effort had been put into high definition digital audio and less multi channel audio, 5.1 and above, a lot more people would be enjoying excellent high fidelity sound in their homes today, instead of cluttering their space with 5.1 plus inferior speakers, amplifiers and wires.

These days all you need for outstanding sound in your home is a computer, hi res files, something like the HA-1 and a pair of active studio monitor speakers.

Headphones with 5 cups? No.  But there have been attempts to emulate the sound of speakers in rooms even surround sound: http://www.smyth-research.com/

High definition digital audio has been around for decades as CD's.  Everyone wants convenience more and thus the MP3 found its place as a lossy format.  I would say 5.1 has its place, and if you were to watch a movie you'd want surround sound.  

I would hardly say that the 105 is a far inferior preamp though, it functions fine.  I just have an issue with the volume control implementation.  The preamp section on the HA-1 suffers from its op-amp implemented output which doesn't give the same quality sound as through the headphone output.  But the HA-1 is more over a headphone dac/pre/amp than it is meant for HIFI/HT purposes like the 105 is.  

I would probably even lower the bar for outstanding sound.  My Topping TP 30 functioned great for my purposes.  A cheap Chinese headphone amp/speaker amp, nice IEM's, and second hand speakers found on craigslist could be outstanding as well.  

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2,039 of 5,414
  Hi, how OPPOs DAC section compares to Burson Conductor? 

I've had experience with the Burson Conductor SL and the HA-1 but never with the top of the line Conductor.  It's tough to compare because I used them as headphone amps and also preamps, never through the DAC alone.  But to the point, I just liked the Conductor better.  I had never been a fan of Oppo's implementation of the Sabre DAC since they conceived their original BDP's.  Heard the 95, 105, and now the HA-1.  I felt the Conductor was equally as resolving and detailed but it just was more involving and spacious, IMHO.  

Dec 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #2,040 of 5,414

I would hardly say that the 105 is a far inferior preamp though, it functions fine.  I just have an issue with the volume control implementation.  The preamp section on the HA-1 suffers from its op-amp implemented output which doesn't give the same quality sound as through the headphone output.  But the HA-1 is more over a headphone dac/pre/amp than it is meant for HIFI/HT purposes like the 105 is.  

Did you ever try this:

"In my opinion, the HA-1 discrete analog path in the headphone stage sounds so good that I ended up using that output for headphone and as a line out to my various amps. With a simple audiophile 1/4-inch-to-RCA output adapter, the HA-1’s excellent, airy, detailed sound could be carried over to speaker listening. The op-amp enabled line outs are good, but the headphone section is exceptional — more space around the instruments, as delivered by 24-bit."

http://everythingaudionetwork.blogspot.co.nz/2014/07/audiophile-review-oppos-ha-1.html

?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back