Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Sep 30, 2014 at 1:50 AM Post #1,771 of 5,414

I get ya. I know. The Oppo is a very flat DAC. Not trying to pick a scrap here or anything. However to my ears it is boring. No warmth.
I understand that tone controls distort. Many great sound devices distort. Look at tubes, distort beautifully. It can add character.

I used the Senny HD700 headphones with the Oppo HA-1 and it was just unusable. I switched to Audeze LCD-3 headphones a lot better. I now don't use the HA-1 as a amp. I just use it as a DAC and send it to my Marantz Power amps for speakers and Woo WA22. The Woo sounds even better again, just a tad too bright. The Marantz sounded awful using the Oppo HA-1. The Marantz DAC was way better. However guess what the Marantz has tone controls. Add a little distortion (lowered the treble a few notches) and Wow. Perfect.

I also added the Arcam rDac back into the mix. What a great DAC. Warm and lush. Everything the Oppo is not. I think I might just add that back into the chain and feed it to the Oppo and then on to other equipment. A real waste tho. The only thing I would use the Oppo for would be volume control.
rolleyes.gif

Stick tone controls on the HA-1 and then I wouldn't need the Arcam. Things will be simpler and great. I think Oppo will learn from years to come. Flat is not usually the best. Manufactures like Arcam (the first company to make an external DAC for a CD player) and Marantz have that knowledge.

I would try to change the headphone cables first or like was suggested the actual headphones... Some Schiit just don't go together...

You could try a different USB cable or power cable or or Hey Hastur!!! are there any fuses in this jammy???
blink.gif

Since you got the WA22 then welcome to tube rolling... http://www.head-fi.org/t/694525/dubstep-girls-massive-5ar4-5r4-5u4g-rectifier-review-comparison-rectifer-tube-rolling-thread

This is where the fun or hobbyist part of Head-Fi'ng comes into play... You gotta get your hands dirty...

Its like wine & food... it's all in the pairing... so don't be afraid to take that first step

errr... I mean don't be afraid to get your feet wet.....

Dammit!!!! NeWayz... If all else fails...

you can always go back to what you know best...

Yikes!!!... What I'm trying to say is that you can always rely on your fellow Head-Fi'ers to lend

a helping hand or two... 'cause you know we just beez like dat...
wink_face.gif

Any Questions???
blink.gif

Peace....
L3000.gif

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #1,772 of 5,414
HAHAHAhahahaHAHAHAha HAHAHA hahaha

LOL

Sep 30, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #1,774 of 5,414
^

Very well done. :)

Oct 2, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #1,775 of 5,414
And so, I was looking for a longer USB cable as I shifted my hardware around. I began googling here and there.

And so it seems like a USB cable without the 5V power (Data+/- and GND only) MAY help in the SQ as there's no noise introduced into the cable at all.
(I used 'MAY' here as I don't want to go into debate regarding digital cable
tongue.gif
)

I found Elijah Audio Isolate CU and Michael advised to do a simple test to see if my DAC can work with the 5V.

No. It didn't work.

I'm using JRMC 20 with ASIO driver. It cannot playback.

I did also emailed OPPO Service to ask them about it, below is their reply.

Joe,

It is not necessary, no. The HA-1 does not generate power on the Asynchronous USB port, so it should not be necessary that you use a USB cable that includes the power line. A data only USB cable should work with the HA-1.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
Service@oppodigital.com
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

Any comments? Or did I do a bad job in testing? I used electrical tape to cover the 5V pin.

Oct 2, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #1,776 of 5,414
Hi All,

I need a little advice from all of the gurus on here...  

I just purchased a Oppo HA-1 a month ago.  I'm having some odd performance issues with it.  The sound out of the balanced outputs (not headphone) just don't seem to preform up to par with the rca outputs.  I'm connecting this to a Creek Evolution 50a and a Little Dot MK VI+. So speaker output and headphone output seem flat but seems much better with rca.  I though it may be cables so I've tried some custom pure silver xlr cables(way to bright but still lack luster) off ebay and now I'm on some kimber hero xlrs, still same isisue.

How can I test if there is an issue with the XLR output?  Maybe it is just the synergy between the Oppo DAC and the Evo 50a?  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the rcs works well.  If it is a synergy issue, what DAC would you replace the Oppo with?  

Jeff    

Oct 2, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #1,777 of 5,414
Hi All,

I need a little advice from all of the gurus on here...  

I just purchased a Oppo HA-1 a month ago.  I'm having some odd performance issues with it.  The sound out of the balanced outputs (not headphone) just don't seem to preform up to par with the rca outputs.  I'm connecting this to a Creek Evolution 50a and a Little Dot MK VI+. So speaker output and headphone output seem flat but seems much better with rca.  I though it may be cables so I've tried some custom pure silver xlr cables(way to bright but still lack luster) off ebay and now I'm on some kimber hero xlrs, still same isisue.

How can I test if there is an issue with the XLR output?  Maybe it is just the synergy between the Oppo DAC and the Evo 50a?  That doesn't make a whole lot of sense since the rcs works well.  If it is a synergy issue, what DAC would you replace the Oppo with?  

Jeff    

Not sure if this helps but I'm using both outputs. Unbalanced to Power Amp and Speakers. Balanced to Woo WA22 head amp. Both sound exactly the same to my ear.

Oct 2, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #1,778 of 5,414
@Badas yes that helps quite a bit.  What power amp are you using?  A bit closer to knowing if it is bad since it works well for you.

Does anyone know of a good way to test the XLR output on the HA-1 and the XLR input on my Evolution 50A?

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #1,779 of 5,414
  @Badas yes that helps quite a bit.  What power amp are you using?  A bit closer to knowing if it is bad since it works well for you.

Does anyone know of a good way to test the XLR output on the HA-1 and the XLR input on my Evolution 50A?

My Unbalance outputs are going into a Marantz SR7009 AVR which has two MM77055 5 channel Power Amps. All my speakers are bi-amped with two 140W power amps into each speaker (so a total of 280W) using Polk Audio RTiA7's. The sound from the speakers sonically sound the same but with a lot more power obviously.

XLR straight into Woo. Sonically sounds the same.

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:40 PM Post #1,781 of 5,414
Thanks@Jerick70.

The Woo is a fantastic piece of kit. I started with the Oppo HA-1 but had a feeling I would really like tubes. So I had to try.
I can't compare to other tube amps as the Woo is the only one I have owned. I did trial the WA7 however I found that was a bit of a toy. Eventually I bit the bullet so to speak and decided on the WA22 primarily for power and balanced. With a bit of tube rolling (totally NOS now) I'm in heaven so to speak. I know I will have the WA22 forever. Eventually hand it to my sons.
I have compared to the HA-1 on various times. Oppo have made a fantastic amp and I hear songs and think it couldn't be any better. I then unplug and put it in the Woo and everything becomes so alive.

Edit: Just looked up Little Dot MK VI+. Very nice.
wink.gif

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #1,782 of 5,414
If you were looking to go “end-game” (or at least really long term) would you go Oppo HA-1 or Gungir/Mjlonir stack?  I like the fact that Gunghir is upgradeable.

·        - Live in US
·         -HifiMan HE-500 with balanced cable (and single-ended adapter)
·         -Like tube sound but weary of always feeling the perfect sound is just one more tube purchase away

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #1,783 of 5,414
I own HA-1 but use HD800 and also have fully moded HE-560 and while i still own 3 really great tube amps with many different tubes for them i don't feel I'm missing something by using HA-1 so they are for sale

Oct 3, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #1,785 of 5,414
  Someone mentioned that the Mjolnir might get an update in the near(ish) future if that affects your decision.

Deep sigh. I suppose that's always the risk you run with any type of AV gear - instant buyers regret. As mentioned that's why I like the Gunghir - seems they put a lot of thought in to ease of upgrade path. Decisions, decisions ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back