Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 10, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #123 of 5,414
would like to know if the HA-1 has a audible click sound originating from the device itself when no signal has passed through it for a short period of time, also known as standby(not the kind where its sleeping).
or even if its operation is silent, does it take half a second for the signal to start coming through, perhaps someone can test it connected to their PC, and play a windows sound like changing the volume, see if the sound cuts out.

i can't stand this feature, i really hope its not present, some high end gear still do this, violectric for example.

May 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #124 of 5,414
Thanks for info. So you can choose in settings DoP or native DSD?
Anyone who already has HA-1 tried DSD with Foobar?

In JRiver DSD64 file seems to be playing with the following output encodings:

1. None
  2. DSD in DoP
  3. 2xDSD in DoP
  4. 2xDSD in native

which makes sense as the specs state it can do up to 4xDSD in native.

Thanks for reply.
I have some SACD image so will check when get home how the recognized DSD64 or DSD128

May 10, 2014 at 1:21 PM Post #126 of 5,414
I am starting to link to impressions within this thread in the first post.  I just have @ogodei
's impression @ post 120 linked so far.

Help me out!  If you want me to link your impression, shoot me a PM!

Where are the Head-fi beta testers with their impressions??????

May 10, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #127 of 5,414
so I am considering this and the bmc puredac. THE puredac guys said the oppo controls volume through a resistor rather then juice through the dac. I am a noob so what does that mean and what does it matter?

May 10, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #128 of 5,414
would like to know if the HA-1 has a audible click sound originating from the device itself when no signal has passed through it for a short period of time, also known as standby(not the kind where its sleeping).
or even if its operation is silent, does it take half a second for the signal to start coming through, perhaps someone can test it connected to their PC, and play a windows sound like changing the volume, see if the sound cuts out.

i can't stand this feature, i really hope its not present, some high end gear still do this, violectric for example.

The Schiit Bifrost does this as well.    Sometimes I ignore it, sometimes it annoys me no end. 

May 10, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #129 of 5,414

Unit clicks when 1) booting up (power transformer kicking in I think) 2)  changing inputs 3)  switching between balanced and SE phones 4) going in and out of mute.  First file I play after changing inputs has a very faint click as well.  Other than that the physical unit is dead silent so far.

I am getting a tiny, tiny pop over the phones when changing tracks when using it as DAC only (PC with JRiver19  >  USB2  >  HA1 (Volume bypass on USB)  > Balanced > audio-gd master 8) but its almost unnoticeable, so I reserve the right to claim later that I was only dreaming this.  This does NOT seem to be happening when the unit is used as both DAC \ AMP.

Puts out a lot of heat, big old vent in on the front top.

No noticeable play lag in any mode  (DAC\AMP combo, Amp only, DAC only).

When used as DAC only (Home Theatre Bypass against USB input)media controls no longer work but Mute does against both Headphone and Pre-amp outputs.

May 10, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #130 of 5,414
Unit clicks when 1) booting up (power transformer kicking in I think) 2)  changing inputs 3)  switching between balanced and SE phones 4) going in and out of mute.  First file I play after changing inputs has a very faint click as well.  Other than that the physical unit is dead silent so far.

I am getting a tiny, tiny pop over the phones when changing tracks when using it as DAC only (PC with JRiver19  >  USB2  >  HA1 (Volume bypass on USB)  > Balanced > audio-gd master 8) but its almost unnoticeable.  This does NOT seem to be happening when the unit is used as both DAC \ AMP.

Puts out a lot of heat, big old vent in on the front top.

No noticeable play lag in any mode  (DAC\AMP combo, Amp only, DAC only).

When used as DAC only (Home Theatre Bypass against USB input)media controls no longer work but Mute does against both Headphone and Pre-amp outputs.

excellent reply, thank you, answered alot of questions for me, you've given me alot to consider.
was wondering if you could expand further a few points for me, does the HA-1 click when changing from 44.1k to 48k, or 96k files? i'm guessing this isn't the case as the files themselves will be upscaled.
also, i know i'm being a pain, but are you able to test to see if the HA-1 goes in standby after say 5-10 minutes of no signal passing through, then wake it up by playing a file to find out any audible clicks, some DAC's are 30 seconds, some are 5 minutes, the DAC usb module i've got in my V200 drives me crazy as its set to 30 seconds, and vibrates the table its that loud.

i knew the HA-1 was going to get warm, but you mentioned "alot" of heat, don't suppose you have a thermal gun lying around to take a reading, as a benchmark, i use my V200, which runs almost at ambient room temps, which is very very good.

May 10, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #131 of 5,414
and vibrates the table its that loud.

lol really? My Ref 5 makes a click sound after about 30 seconds. Why exactly do some devices do that?

May 10, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #132 of 5,414
I would like to congratulate Oppo for this product. It is pretty much EXACTLY what I would have made if I had designed it myself with the features I want and without the features I don't want. It also manages to look great and the price is right. It makes many other headphone oriented offerings look very over priced and very basic. Thank you, Oppo.
I hope that one day I can add the Oppo to my system.

May 10, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #133 of 5,414
I would like to congratulate Oppo for this product. It is pretty much EXACTLY what I would have made if I had designed it myself with the features I want and without the features I don't want. It also manages to look great and the price is right. It makes many other headphone oriented offerings look very over priced and very basic. Thank you, Oppo.
I hope that one day I can add the Oppo to my system.

I agree with your opinion, pretty much exactly what I was thinking a couple days ago - it has everything you'd want from an all-in-one headphone setup and is, at the same, simple enough to use.

May 10, 2014 at 4:14 PM Post #134 of 5,414
My impressions of the HA-1 so far:

Arrrrrrrg, I'm thinking it's taking too long to arrive in my hands. :D

May 10, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #135 of 5,414
excellent reply, thank you, answered alot of questions for me, you've given me alot to consider.
was wondering if you could expand further a few points for me, does the HA-1 click when changing from 44.1k to 48k, or 96k files? i'm guessing this isn't the case as the files themselves will be upscaled.
also, i know i'm being a pain, but are you able to test to see if the HA-1 goes in standby after say 5-10 minutes of no signal passing through, then wake it up by playing a file to find out any audible clicks, some DAC's are 30 seconds, some are 5 minutes, the DAC usb module i've got in my V200 drives me crazy as its set to 30 seconds, and vibrates the table its that loud.

i knew the HA-1 was going to get warm, but you mentioned "alot" of heat, don't suppose you have a thermal gun lying around to take a reading, as a benchmark, i use my V200, which runs almost at ambient room temps, which is very very good.

No click from the physical unit when switching between file types, just the very soft click starting the first file played after switching inputs.  This is not annoying to me at all, and otherwise the physical unit is silent.

Very soft pop that occurs when I switch between files by double-clicking them directly in Windows explorer, JRiver, or VNC. Occurs both when unit is used as DAC\Amp combo or DAC only.  Isn't related to file type (and this is not the "DSD pop").   Seems to be volume related and is somewhat inconsistent, so someone else with a unit needs verify its not just my setup

I will let you know about the standby.

Temperatures:
Unit has been on about 9 hours, currently at -11.5 dB feeding a pair of balanced LCD-X

Ambient room temp: 80.3F ( so its warm in here)
Temp top of unit at back: 98.2F
Temp top of unit near heat vent: 102.3F
Heat Sinks through grill (just for fun): 141.8F

So: warm to the touch but I can comfortable leave my hand on it.  It seemed to be putting out more heat when I did that last post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back