Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2017 at 11:09 AM Post #4,983 of 5,414
I just love my HA-1!!  Feel lucky to one in light of their demise....

The Amps ease of use and how it works, makes me think I'll hang on to this baby for quite awhile!   The ESS Sabre DAC is too harsh, since putting the Schiit Yggdrasil DAC into the HA-1, I'm in heaven!!!   I know I will never listen to Delta Sigma DACs again since hearing what an R2R DAC can do like the Yggy!

Love to know the real reason they quit making it....usually when you don't know the answer to a question, the answer is MONEY.   It was too good for what it does....   You would think they have to come out with a HP amp to pair up with their Sonica DAC....

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #4,985 of 5,414
The volume control is an analog potentiometer. If you get fizz when moving it, it usually means the pot has gotten dirty or built up a bit of corrosion. Most pots are self-cleaning if you swing it back and forth from zero to full scale several times. The fizz should go away.

The digital level readout is based on the position of the pot. It can jitter if the pot is dirty, or if it's positioned right between 2 levels. If you clean the pot as above, it usually fixes this. If that doesn't work just move the pot a tiny amount up or down.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #4,987 of 5,414
  In normal listening, do not touch the volume control, but it every 2-3 minutes appears on the display of the volume counter, and can show on + - 1 dB? is this normal?

To repeat - yes, if the volume pot is dirty or if it happens to be positioned exactly halfway between 2 of the digital sensing points. If you clean it, this will happen only rarely and when it happens, a tiny smudge in either direction (up or down) will stop it.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #4,988 of 5,414
To repeat - yes, if the volume pot is dirty or if it happens to be positioned exactly halfway between 2 of the digital sensing points. If you clean it, this will happen only rarely and when it happens, a tiny smudge in either direction (up or down) will stop it.

There is an instruction, how can it be cleaned?

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #4,989 of 5,414
You can't strip it down or go spraying into it. Some did have an issue that turning off the unit and running the volume knob fully backward and forwards for a couple of mins won't fix.
If that's the case people have contacted support and had it replaced as a known fault. Just ask nice.
But try the running backwards and forwards first.
good luck
That fixed it for me but mine was minor.
I did that once a month out of habit..
Dave

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #4,990 of 5,414

There is an instruction, how can it be cleaned?

I explained that in the post prior to the one you quoted - move it back and forth to clean it.

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #4,992 of 5,414

I explained that in the post prior to the one you quoted - move it back and forth to clean it.

This manipulation does not give anything

Rotating the knob from zero to full several (at least 10) times will clean it most of the time. If the problem persists, then the pot is extra dirty or damaged. It should be replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back