Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
Mar 20, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #4,966 of 5,414
Discountinued - That sucks. I sold mine because I wanted to upgrade, but it was a very good unit. The swiss army of headphone amps. Great features and great price for what you got.
What the hell is wrong with Oppo!!!

Well, I suppose they were simply not selling enough of them. the HA-1 is a very nicely made product and I am sure it is expensive to manufacture. My guess would be that Oppo decided to stop making it because:

1. They were not selling enough.
2. They were too expensive to make. 

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #4,967 of 5,414
Well, I suppose they were simply not selling enough of them. the HA-1 is a very nicely made product and I am sure it is expensive to manufacture. My guess would be that Oppo decided to stop making it because:

1. They were not selling enough.
2. They were too expensive to make. 

So in other words, they screwed up in the first place. Their reasearch, marketing, etc., were all wrong ?

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #4,968 of 5,414
Honestly, it couldn't be the former because the demand is still there. Expensive to make? Highly probable but then again; their sonica dac option isn't exactly "entry level" at $1100 CAD. Hopefully they have a successor in the works...

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #4,969 of 5,414
So in other words, they screwed up in the first place. Their reasearch, marketing, etc., were all wrong ?

Wrong in the respect that they HA-1 was probably a bit too good/expensive to make. I wonder what something like just the remote controlled multi gang volume control cost them. Then there is the class A headphone amp, the transformers, etc.

I suspect that the HA-1 found itself in a place where it was too expensive to really compete in the mass market while not being expensive enough to justify the cost of manufacturing it... 

Mar 20, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #4,970 of 5,414
Wrong in the respect that they HA-1 was probably a bit too good/expensive to make. I wonder what something like just the remote controlled multi gang volume control cost them. Then there is the class A headphone amp, the transformers, etc.

I suspect that the HA-1 found itself in a place where it was too expensive to really compete in the mass market while not being expensive enough to justify the cost of manufacturing it... 

Fair enough, in other words , I was right. R&D, Marketing, and corporate screwd up. They undestimated the competition.
Tell me what they should hsve done?

I have no answer, as I thought it was fsirly priced, but I work in a totally different industty.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #4,971 of 5,414
Fair enough, in other words , I was right. R&D, Marketing, and corporate screwd up. They undestimated the competition.
Tell me what they should hsve done?

I have no answer, as I thought it was fsirly priced, but I work in a totally different industty.

I have some ideas, but I don't really see the point of elaborating here (The HA-1 is gone). If someone wanted to hire me as a consultant I might be more inclined to help.

Mar 20, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #4,972 of 5,414
I have some ideas, but I don't really see the point of elaborating here (The HA-1 is gone). If someone wanted to hire me as a consultant I might be more inclined to help.

Sure! Too funny.

Im outa here

Mar 21, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #4,974 of 5,414
Sure! Too funny.

Im outa here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/840597/oppo-sonica-dac-sdac-3-like-new-for-trade-or-sale

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #4,975 of 5,414
Anyone using the Tidal app for Windows 10 PC through the HA-1 via USB having problems with weird distortion that goes away when you restart the Tidal app? This doesn't happen with any other source, just Tidal. Very annoying.

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #4,976 of 5,414
Anyone know of another product that has the same or more of the functionality of the HA-1? Need all the I/O - specifically the analog ins.\

Thanks

Apr 4, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #4,977 of 5,414
The Grace m920 is similar to the HA-1, at almost twice the price. Back when I bought my HA-1, if it didn't float my boat then the M920 was my back-up plan. But I think the HA-1 is fantastic. If I wanted a DAC+amp+preamp now, I'd look for a good HA-1 on eBay.

Apr 4, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #4,978 of 5,414
Thanks.

I have one. Have had it for two years. Looking for something new but interestingly enough I use all of the I/O the HA-1 has to offer. I'll look into the grace

Users who are viewing this thread

Back