Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #363 of 5,414
Tonight I was playing around with the different inputs to see if I could really tell a difference between coax and mobile inputs.

First test was just a simple a/b test (no x, and not blind) and involved pressing play on both devices playing the same source album (Pink Floyd, The Wall, ALAC CD rip) at the same time and switching inputs throughout the song. The songs synced well enough given the slight break when the HA-1 changes input.

Through the X5 coaxial out the sound is more full, more weight, more dynamic. Through the iPhone 5S lightning to USB the sound is thinner and the noise floor is higher, more noise and a bit brighter, less dynamic. Was it psychoacoustics? Read on.... :D

Second test started with my daughter setting a random input without my knowledge while I was out of the room, then I came in and put the headphones on, not knowing the input, and she would switch to the other input while the album was playing. After one switch she would go to an input with no source and then chose another random selection between mobile and coaxial inputs. She collected all the data and I got it right 9 out of 15 times (60%). Pretty much a wash. We had fun and I owe her a big thank you.

My brain still tells me I like coaxial better so that's what I'm sticking with.
Man alive, the power of the mind....... :blink:

For those that are wondering, I still feel there is pretty much no difference between coaxial input from the X5 and USB input from my MacBook either.
Now if only my unit were silver it might sound even better. :eek:

May 21, 2014 at 5:42 AM Post #364 of 5,414
Tonight I was playing around with the different inputs to see if I could really tell a difference between coax and mobile inputs.

First test was just a simple a/b test (no x, and not blind) and involved pressing play on both devices playing the same source album (Pink Floyd, The Wall, ALAC CD rip) at the same time and switching inputs throughout the song. The songs synced well enough given the slight break when the HA-1 changes input.

Through the X5 coaxial out the sound is more full, more weight, more dynamic. Through the iPhone 5S lightning to USB the sound is thinner and the noise floor is higher, more noise and a bit brighter, less dynamic. Was it psychoacoustics? Read on.... :D

Second test started with my daughter setting a random input without my knowledge while I was out of the room, then I came in and put the headphones on, not knowing the input, and she would switch to the other input while the album was playing. After one switch she would go to an input with no source and then chose another random selection between mobile and coaxial inputs. She collected all the data and I got it right 9 out of 15 times (60%). Pretty much a wash. We had fun and I owe her a big thank you.

Man alive, the power of the mind....... :blink:

For those that are wondering, I still feel there is pretty much no difference between coaxial input from the X5 and USB input from my MacBook either.
Now if only my unit were silver it might sound even better. :eek:

Nice daughter helping dad along making an audiophile fool of himself. :D

Now just imagine what a gold version would do. :eek:

Thanks man now you make me regret my cancellation, no way to perform those fun tests. :frowning2:

May 21, 2014 at 8:28 AM Post #365 of 5,414

Thanks man now you make me regret my cancellation, no way to perform those fun tests. :frowning2:

I'm living vicariously through everyone anyways... We're moving and most of my gear is now packed up. Still no idea when the local retailers will have access to the HA-1. My real question is how many models did they have available and sell out within a few hours?

If they keep selling out on their end, it may be months before it reaches our small businesses of choice.

May 21, 2014 at 8:39 AM Post #366 of 5,414
I'm living vicariously through everyone anyways... We're moving and most of my gear is now packed up. Still no idea when the local retailers will have access to the HA-1. My real question is how many models did they have available and sell out within a few hours?

If they keep selling out on their end, it may be months before it reaches our small businesses of choice.

Yeah I got you, first time everything was sold in a matter of an hour, last time I had somewhat more time so when the silver is going to come out, it'll be crazy again, thank god I live in the US and that they send me a unit available email, else I would miss the boat badly. :frowning2:

I feel you my man hate moving, it's my pet peeve. Gotta pack up everything just to have to unpack again. Hope you'll find a great place for your HA-1 black of silver to your new place? :D

May 21, 2014 at 9:03 AM Post #367 of 5,414

Through the X5 coaxial out the sound is more full, more weight, more dynamic. Through the iPhone 5S lightning to USB the sound is thinner and the noise floor is higher, more noise and a bit brighter, less dynamic. Was it psychoacoustics? Read on....
biggrin.gif

Man alive, the power of the mind.......
blink.gif

Now if only my unit were silver it might sound even better.
eek.gif

I did a single blind listening test between several amps a while back.  I keep the results posted up in front of me to keep me honest
tongue.gif

May 21, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #369 of 5,414
  @HasturTheYellow do you have any authorised distributor in Malaysia for the HA-1?

Not yet. The Asian release of the HA-1 will be in a week or so. Once it is released, you should start to see local online resellers and retail channels start to carry the HA-1.

May 21, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #374 of 5,414

It won't be the first time she's seen Dad be a fool. She's studying psych, anthropology and statistics so she had a ball with it. :D

Gold might actually give me golden ears! :eek:

It's just a roller coaster ride, isn't it? :wink:

May 21, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #375 of 5,414
Oppo Headphone Amplifier HA-1: Up Close 2
Real HD Audio - Mark Waldrep - 5/21
The HA-1 is a terrific “headphone amplifier” and much, much more. The physical piece is solid, easy to use and would be a welcome addition to any listening environment. It’s flexible and can handle just about anything you want to amplify or convert from digital to analog. As for sound quality, several readers have asked me how it stacks up against my Benchmark DAC2 HGC. I can say that I love both but…
The Benchmark DAC2 HGC is a reference quality converter and functions as well as a preamplifier. It competes…and wins…against anything at any price, including the Light Harmonic $20K DAC (no kidding). The HA-1 is a notch below the rarefied air that Benchmark and others occupy. But a solid piece none-the-less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back