opinions on the Sennheiser HD-280
Dec 10, 2009 at 10:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bhome83

New Head-Fier
So I have been reviewing headphones for the past couple of days. I'm starting to think these Sennheiser HD-280 are the phones I want. Will mainly be used when listening to my ipod and FLAC files from my computer. I want a pair that are comfortable and also a pair that others can't hear my music. These phones get really good reviews on amazon so was curious if the experience anyone has had on these and if you recommend them. I'm not an audiophile, so I can't get real technical on you guys. Just want a good pair of comfortable phones that pump out good audio in the $100-150 price range.

Thanks guys.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #2 of 18
For $100-150, I think you can do better. Check out the ATH-M50. The Sennheisers are hard to describe as comfortable. Also see the Shure SRH440, which I like slightly less than the ATH-M50, because they are slightly harsh and slightly less comfortable.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:39 AM Post #3 of 18
Having owned and sold the HD-280s, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. They clamped HARD on my head, and couldn't be comfortably worn for long periods. The sound was pretty good, but they definitely sound closed, and I've found other excellent phones in your price range that I'd choose first.

Perhaps check out the Shure SRH440 and 840.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #4 of 18
I agree with the other two... I am personally considering switching to the ATH-M50s, if I can find myself a steal of a price.

I wouldn't rate the HD280s uncomfortable, but they do get tiring quickly; and they do clamp pretty well. If I didn't have the HD280s I'd probably have the Sony V6 or 7506 or ATH-M50s. (The V6s sound similar and are a little more comfortable, the only reason I didn't pursue them more is they don't go around my ear as nicely as the 280s)

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 18
I know a couple of big recording studios who prefer the HD-280s for tracking, specifically because of how well they clamp on the head. Drummers seem to like them. Take that for what you will. Says nothing about the SQ but some big producers think they do well enough for that purpose.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by sesshin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a couple of big recording studios who prefer the HD-280s for tracking, specifically because of how well they clamp on the head. Drummers seem to like them. Take that for what you will. Says nothing about the SQ but some big producers think they do well enough for that purpose.

The isolation is a plus. It's an even bigger plus for recording drums. But what is good for recording is not necessarily, and often not, good for listening to music. I dislike the HD280's both for comfort and sound. They have pretty strong clamping pressure that can get quite irritating, even moreso with glasses. And the sound is "closed in", a lot like listening to speakers in a tiny room.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 18
alright guys, im seriously considering asking for the ATH-M50's for xmas. I have done my homework and they sound like they will fit my style well. I especially like the fact that they are closed cans so outside people won't be disturbed. They look nice as well. I listen to all types of music (just not any heavy metal) and im thinking these will be a nice improvement over my ipod earbuds
smily_headphones1.gif
Hopefully im making a good choice.
thanks guys for all the help.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #8 of 18
I think you would be much better off with the M50's, I have never heard them but I've read lot's of glowing reviews. Definitely a smart choice to stay away from the HD 280's, they are by far the most uncomfortable headphone I've ever used. They have a bump in the center of the headband that just pushes down on the center of your head and causes pain. I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would like them.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhome83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I have been reviewing headphones for the past couple of days. I'm starting to think these Sennheiser HD-280 are the phones I want. Will mainly be used when listening to my ipod and FLAC files from my computer. I want a pair that are comfortable and also a pair that others can't hear my music. These phones get really good reviews on amazon so was curious if the experience anyone has had on these and if you recommend them. I'm not an audiophile, so I can't get real technical on you guys. Just want a good pair of comfortable phones that pump out good audio in the $100-150 price range.

Thanks guys.

I have a mint pair of HD280Pros which I've used for less than 5 hours.....

The problem is, there are so many better headphones - even from Sennheisers. My HD25Mark IIs are superior to the HD280Pros in every way: sound staging; isolation; bass, dynamics and sheer sonority. The 280Pro don't clamp hard enough on my head to be a true 'closed back' style: in that respect, they don't isolate extraneous noise sufficiently and as a result of the loss of sound pressure, don't generate a deep enough bass note unless I physically compress them against my head. The sound quality from an un-amplified CD player or minidisc is just dire. It's tinny and full of siblance and sounds like a cat scratching orchestra at 3am. Once amplified (I use Musical Fidelity X-Cans v2), they sound very reasonable, but still below par.

The only redeeming features I've found for them is with acoustic or classical music with virtually no bass: the calibre of music emanating from the phones are so strangely different from what I'm used to, that they are enjoyable this way for their sheer musicality, that they can be redeemed. The other disadvantage is, if you're into running, rollerblading or outdoor sports, you can't wear sunglasses with these either. I guess that means you can't wear glasses comfortably either.

Go with the other guys recommendations, or head over towards the true modern lifestyle audiophile earphones - the non-audiophile DJ monitoring style like the Sennheiser HD25s. They are so screw* cool and resolve all these problems and do what you're asking for, only with panache and ease, beating audiophile phones way beyond its price without getting trapped down the ever expensive holy grail route of the audiophile....

Dec 13, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 18
I like the HD 280s, but I think you will be much happier with the ATH-M50. Good choice.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhome83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, according to amazon many people love the HD 280's.

Well I honestly can't figure out why people like them. Honestly, when the 280's are played unamped from an mp3 player my $13 pair of philips shl9500 can do circles around them. I guess I just expect a much better sounding and more comfortable headphone for the price of the 280's, you can do much better.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 18
Derek ~ a lot of 'taste' depends on what music you listen to and the kind of set up you have. Your crappy $13 Phillips will gloss over any resolution defects in the source material, amplify bass and give a generally likeable consumer sound for the source material and is probably ideally suited for the compressed MP3 stuff you like.

I don't have any use for the 280Pros when unamplified: they do sound quite terrible to my ears, however in classical (live) music, rather than repeatedly overdubbed pop music, the sound separation is really quite beautiful. There are some CDs which I can play with it which really shine, but I've learnt to be very selective. If you like rap, hip hop, drum n' bass or jungle music, this really is the wrong headphone. If you love transparency and detail, it has a lot going for it.

Like you say, it's just not an all-rounded headhphone. Upgrade to a better source or higher quality music source and the 280Pros come alive. Even better - amp it.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Head_case /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Derek ~ a lot of 'taste' depends on what music you listen to and the kind of set up you have. Your crappy $13 Phillips will gloss over any resolution defects in the source material, amplify bass and give a generally likeable consumer sound for the source material and is probably ideally suited for the compressed MP3 stuff you like.

I don't have any use for the 280Pros when unamplified: they do sound quite terrible to my ears, however in classical (live) music, rather than repeatedly overdubbed pop music, the sound separation is really quite beautiful. There are some CDs which I can play with it which really shine, but I've learnt to be very selective. If you like rap, hip hop, drum n' bass or jungle music, this really is the wrong headphone. If you love transparency and detail, it has a lot going for it.

Like you say, it's just not an all-rounded headhphone. Upgrade to a better source or higher quality music source and the 280Pros come alive. Even better - amp it.

I agree that the 280's will sound better with some types of music but in my opinion they do not sound good with rock which is what I mostly listen to. All of my mp3's are 256 or 320 kbps so it's not like I'm listening to poorly encoded music. The 280's were the first decent pair of headphones I ever bought and I was just not happy with them. I also find that they are terribly uncomfortable compared to my other headphones. For close to the same price I find that my hd 238's are more detailed and have a better soundstage (I know this is due to them being an open headphone vs. the closed 280). I just think there are much better choices out there in that price range.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 18
Yup!

You're absolutely right! The 280Pros have a weak bass response with a weaker sound isolation platform which is why the bass response seems really thin. Regardless of whether your Mp3s are high bit rate - it depends on the source. When I listen to the Végh Quartet's rendition of Bartok's String Quartet Cycle on the 280Pros, recorded post WWII sometime ago, there is significant background hiss revealed because of the resolution of the 280Pros. A cheap set of iPod headphones don't reveal the same - everything is just warm and happily muffied with poor sound separation and everything gelling together with a thud thud thud. A lot of music consumers like that in rock lo-fi land. Like you say, rock music and the 280Pros just don't mate very well. I wouldn't have bought a pair either, had I known this, but still, I can see its beauty when paired properly with the right genre of music taste (vocal; mid-range, acoustic, classical), and also amp'd. I guess this means, all the positive and glowing reviews on Amazon.com were from listeners of Dolly Parton and American middle of the road music
smily_headphones1.gif

Weren't the 280Pros 'What Hi-Fi' headphone of the year award winners back in something like 2004?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back