Opinions on K701 comfort?
Oct 2, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #46 of 98
dont you ask.

some say they are worst than DT880...

I own both, and say they both are great in confort!

(try any after Grados, and you'll see
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Oct 2, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #47 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfloding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the K701 is TERRIBLE!
I'll buy it from you for about $75, ok?

Will you be ready to pay 3-4x the price for whatever phone I like most?
icon10.gif

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #48 of 98
"The top-middle bump causes terrible pain in my center head and it also doesn't go away soon."

I have had the same issue. My head would hurt a lot with the headphones on, but it would remain sore and tender for a few days! If I listened to the K701's till my head hurt - about 30-60 minutes. My head would hurt much quicker the next evening 5-20 minutes!

And my head was tender to the touch during the day.

Well, I couldn't stand the pain and bumps anymore!

I finally broke down and got out a sharp knife and some needle-nose type plyers and skinned that plastic piece of C^@P off of my headband.

I still think the leather is nice. So, I wanted to save it.
Plus.... I needed it for function!!!

But, here is what I found. The plastic liner has a combination of felt and foam type pads within the bumps.

It is (obviously) all bonded to the leather with adhesive - probably spray on, but maybe some sort of contact glue of some sort.

The felt was up against the leather, so those came off leaving a fairly clean glue residue - glue, but no fuzz.
The non-pad areas left a fuzzy foam imbedded into the adhesive remaining on the leather.

It isn't very pretty right not, but it is a hundred times more comfortable to me at this point.

I will probably go back at some point and put some type of foam/velour combo or similar nice material.

I will look around at other cans to get some ideas before committing to an option.

I think I can slightly spread the cans apart, tape and protect "EVERYTHING" and spray adhesive or roll on adhesive or whatever on the one side of the leather to re-bond a new "single" level (without bumps) piece of foam and material.

I am actually working on a lot of other projects around my house.

So someday.....

I will take my time to figure out what seems best. I know some foams are better than others as well and want to get a good foam.

I have some large enough scraps of "Poron" type foam that I purchased and used for a custom poker table that might work well.

Poron is VERY good at always returning to shape. It is used in some high end shoe foams and similar. But, it is fairly dense.

It is about 0.25" thick. I might combine that with a thin layer of softer foam (?????).

Since I apparently have more of a peak at the top of my head, I may try to shape the foam a little to accomodate my head - instead of contradict it like the original pad.

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #49 of 98
Hmm...I personally find the K701s to be more comfortable than the HD650s. The HD650s clamping force is too strong for me, the K701s in comparison exert very little force. And I don't really notice any discomfort with the bumps on the headband that everyone is talking about.
Oh well, just goes to show that you should try them yourself before you buy.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #50 of 98
Hey all. I just joined and just got into head-fi. I just got my first set of cans a couple weeks ago... AKG K701s o'course. I find them to be very comfortable except for the rare occasion when the bump does cause some pain. A quick shift fixes the problem almost immediately though.

I had read about the comfort problems before I purchased them and tried to find a possible solution before I even got them... just in case I had the problem. I thought it might be good to use one of the velcro seat belt pads. They've got them as plush and simple or as gaudy as you may want. They're probably too long, but for only $12 you could probably just trim the ends and make it fit. I'm not sure how much more these'll lift them off your head. It might make them too high for those of you with big 'ole block heads.
eggosmile.gif

Check this site out: [http://www.shearcomfort.com/Seatbelt-pads.asp

Now if my Corda Move will get here
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #51 of 98
I just got my k701's yesterday. Wore em for a bit, did not have issues with the bumps on the pad. My hair is kinda thick and course...so I'm guessin it acts like a buffer. Though if i physically push down on the pad with my hands from the top, I could see how it would be painful.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:00 AM Post #54 of 98
I had the same problem with the center bump. My solution was to bent the headband that it takes the shape of a tube and hold it for a while. I do that every time before I use this headphone and by now the bumps are considerably softer and the K701 more comfortable to wear.

Oct 16, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #55 of 98
The problem I have with the AKG K701s is that I have a relatively large head and the headband is not long enough. When I where the phones they pull up on my lower earlobes. VERY annoying.

I find I can relieve that somewhat by squeezing the band in - it seems to create a bit more slack. Even then they are tight on my head. They are definitely the least comfortable phones I own.

Oct 16, 2007 at 10:02 AM Post #56 of 98
Addendum: To bent the headband tubelike “breaks” the inner structure of the bumps and afterwards it look like as to see on the following pic. Maybe you do not want that, but I think that this is, regarding aesthetical aspects, better than to attach something, and, as said before, it makes the bumps softer, more comfortable.

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:41 AM Post #57 of 98
Okay, I've read a lot about these bumps on the headband, but I still can't figure them out.

Are they rigid hard plastic or some kind of foam or what? I thought they were rigid plastic but by the description of breaking them in when bending the headband suggests otherwise.

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:42 AM Post #58 of 98
one more complainant here. k701s' press to the top of the head is definitely irritating. they are comfortable headphones overall, yet i know they're not the most comfortable of the class.

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:44 AM Post #59 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by ahamric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I've read a lot about these bumps on the headband, but I still can't figure them out.

Are they rigid hard plastic or some kind of foam or what? I thought they were rigid plastic but by the description of breaking them in when bending the headband suggests otherwise.

Seems like some kind of foam covered by a layer of vinyl.
I did the tube roll trick shown above, and it won't make them pretty, but I think they are more compliant now. So I have now bent the band in both directions.

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #60 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by undo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one more complainant here. k701s' press to the top of the head is definitely irritating. they are comfortable headphones overall, yet i know they're not the most comfortable of the class.

It's a weird "improvement" over the k601. I think a simple leather band would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back