Open phones under $100 to complement my closed Ultrasones?
Apr 1, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #17 of 26
Have you considered the ultrasone zino? It's airy and bassy, but certainly won't win any awards for raw analytical detail
tongue.gif
. I don't really recommend it for gaming and movies though, their spatial placement can get rather kooky, but music straight out of the computer is decent.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you considered the ultrasone zino? It's airy and bassy, but certainly won't win any awards for raw analytical detail
tongue.gif
. I don't really recommend it for gaming and movies though, their spatial placement can get rather kooky, but music straight out of the computer is decent.

Sounds like you don't REALLY recommend it overall...

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They aren't on the same level as more expensive Ultrasones, but what do you expect for less than $100.

There are many reasons the Zinos are out of the running (in no particular order):
1. I want to try something new, not start collecting Ultrasones.
2. Recessed mids. I gotta have my mids.
3. I don't need them to be small/portable. Necessarily some compromises were made in sound quality to make them that small.
4. They're new, so price hasn't come down much from list.
5. I don't like their style.
etc.

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can try the PL-650, or the HFi-700 as step up, but even used ones are between 120-$160.

It is looking like the next thing I buy from Ultrasone would probably be the PRO-650, but that's beside the point, because it won't be soon.
Right now, I'm looking for some air
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by froasier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I think I'm going to order the HD555 in the morning ($91 shipped from Amazon), but I'm going to sleep on it, so you have one last chance to change my mind!

Overnight the $91 price disappeared and it's back up to $99.
It's still looking like my best option, but I'll give you another few hours to suggest otherwise.

EDIT: Just ordered them at $99, estimated delivery April 8-13. Thank you all for your input! I did my best to make a good post, you gave it a good response, and it was very helpful! I'll post with my impressions once they get here and I've tried them out.
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #25 of 26
I just unboxed the HD555s and I'm listening right now straight out of my laptop. Already they are everything I'd hoped they would be, and greater than the sum of those parts. I can't wait to hear them burned in and amped!
biggrin.gif
More detailed impressions later...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back