Open headphones for metal: thinking of HD650?
Jun 19, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #16 of 33
Being an HD650 owner and metal head, they can absolutely rock with metal. The amp is very important however as when I listen to them through just my different sources, they lack the power to really envelope you with deep throbbing bass. Put a good amp to them and they really come alive. The bass is very clean, not sloppy but can give that impact I think you are looking for. Give them a further kick if you have a quality eq by just a few db set at a wide q down around 30-40 and things really get interesting. The drivers are more than capable if your amp can put out the goods.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #18 of 33

Quote:
I like open headphones because they are more spacious sounding and I need to hear the phone and doorbell ring!!

I'd be going from the DT880 2005 version which I'm a bit unsatisfied with because it doesn't have enough bass punch for me - especially with (double) kick drums. I listen to a lot of thrash and death metal with double bass drumming and I want something with more substantial bass so I can feel the rumble and thump of the kick drums more viscerally.

I hear that the HD650 has bass which is basically a night and day difference (or if not, significantly different) from the DT880 2005 in that it is much stronger and has much more impact.

Would the HD650 fit my purpose?

Or, if not - what would?

You absolutely do NOT want the HD650 for Metal, I had it and quickly returned it. Yes it will give you the bass Metal needs, but nearly every other sonic characteristic it possesses does not jive well with aggressive music.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #19 of 33
I don't mind a smooth/recessed treble really the most important thing is that the HD650 be able to deliver a bass impact and kick similar to closed headphones with good bass.

You seem to be suggesting that they can do this, is that right?

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:25 AM Post #20 of 33

Quote:
I don't mind a smooth/recessed treble really the most important thing is that the HD650 be able to deliver a bass impact and kick similar to closed headphones with good bass.

You seem to be suggesting that they can do this, is that right?

In my experience, the HD650 have a laid back distant sound and what is referred to as a "veil" here. That makes it terrible for Metal and fine for laid back music.  It has good bass, yes, but that's not close to all that matters for Metal. And if all you care about is bass, there are far cheaper options.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #21 of 33

Quote:
In my experience, the HD650 have a laid back distant sound and what is referred to as a "veil" here. That makes it terrible for Metal and fine for laid back music.  It has good bass, yes, but that's not close to all that matters for Metal. And if all you care about is bass, there are far cheaper options.

Does the bass also sound laid back? And would that make it lacking in impact? What about the bass impact as compared to closed cans with good bass?

The main thing is that the HD650 is said to have a high quality overall sound and is open thus my interest in it.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:56 AM Post #22 of 33
HD650 bass is definitely laidback. It's not the kind that is in your face, hard and has a kick. It's the enveloping kind that just surrounds you.  Since you are looking for that "closed can" kick the HD650 is not going to deliver. 

As for the M50, this is more what you are looking for. But if I had to choose a can better for your needs your needs yet similar to the M50, I would instead take the Shure SRH750DJ. The bass of the M50 is still a little flabby and undefined, if you need something edgier with more definition in the bass as well as the rest of the spectrum the Shure is the better bet. Just be careful of the horrible fit.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
Does the bass also sound laid back? And would that make it lacking in impact? What about the bass impact as compared to closed cans with good bass?

The main thing is that the HD650 is said to have a high quality overall sound and is open thus my interest in it.

The 650 has some bass coloration, though still less than a lot of colored cans. It was also reasonably punchy IIRC. I don't know if the bass specifically is laid back, but the sound as a whole certainly is. I too purchased the HD650 because I wanted something better at the time, but it was ultimately very disappointing for Metal. But Sennheiser isn't exactly known to make cans with sonic characteristics beneficial for Metal so this shouldn't be surprising (Though the HD800 works very well for Metal, but it's still not quite the best for it). I can help you pick a can depending on your budget and subgenres, feel free to PM me.

Jun 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #25 of 33

Quote:
whats your favourite for metal alghazanth ? the audeze ?

Right now it's a tie between the HE500 and LCD2. HE500 does everything flawlessly while the LCD2 has very unique mids and bass that best every other can I've heard, but unfortunately they have recessed highs. The T1 and ED8 come right after these two.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #26 of 33

Quote:
HD650 bass is definitely laidback. It's not the kind that is in your face, hard and has a kick. It's the enveloping kind that just surrounds you.  Since you are looking for that "closed can" kick the HD650 is not going to deliver. 

As for the M50, this is more what you are looking for. But if I had to choose a can better for your needs your needs yet similar to the M50, I would instead take the Shure SRH750DJ. The bass of the M50 is still a little flabby and undefined, if you need something edgier with more definition in the bass as well as the rest of the spectrum the Shure is the better bet. Just be careful of the horrible fit.

i preferred the shure srh840 for metal over the srh750dj. also the build quality is better on the srh840. but if the op wants bass then the srh840 wouldn't be wise. personally i find to much bass in metal ruins it.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #27 of 33
^ It would depend on your amplification and maybe for metal some Blue Dragon or Zu cable (heaven't heard it) would be better.  Silver Dragon is also nice for the HD650's (going off of others reviews until tomorrows arrival) because it lightens/brightens them up ever so slightly.

Jun 20, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #28 of 33
Ha! did not see you were local to me Cactus Farmer, should have figured from the name. If you want to actually hear a set of current white driver HD650's properly amplified, You can hear my setup if you wish. I will be back in the US on the weekend of July 2nd "however at my home in Coolidge that weekend". Actually listening to a set would be the only way to say it is a go or no go as everyone has opinions and none of ours generally match the next persons. Other than that, I will be bringing my setup to the next Az meet whenever that may be.

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #29 of 33
ok peeps, I guess the thing it all boils down to is: will double bass drums impact and slam significantly harder (at the same volume level) with the HD650 vs my DT880 2005?

If you've heard both 'phones I'd appreciate your opinions on this.

Jun 26, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #30 of 33
...bump... will kick drums thump harder with HD650 vs DT880 2005 at the same volume?

If kick drums are in the mid-bass and hd650 has a mid-bass hump and the dt880 does not I would expect so I guess, but I'd really appreciate it if someone did a comparison to be certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back