Open headphones for metal: thinking of HD650?
Jun 14, 2011 at 2:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
I like open headphones because they are more spacious sounding and I need to hear the phone and doorbell ring!!

I'd be going from the DT880 2005 version which I'm a bit unsatisfied with because it doesn't have enough bass punch for me - especially with (double) kick drums. I listen to a lot of thrash and death metal with double bass drumming and I want something with more substantial bass so I can feel the rumble and thump of the kick drums more viscerally.

I hear that the HD650 has bass which is basically a night and day difference (or if not, significantly different) from the DT880 2005 in that it is much stronger and has much more impact.

Would the HD650 fit my purpose?

Or, if not - what would?

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #2 of 33
I think the HD-650 would be a bad choice for metal, but of course won't be terrible. Have you considered selling the DT-880 and trying a DT-990? Those have a lot more bass, but more recessed mids to some.
The HD-650 to me really doesn't have lots of bass IMO to begin with. It depends on the amp sometimes too. I guess what I mean is that it's not bass heavy to me.

I think some of the higher end Grados would be good too. I haven't tried any, but most seem to like the Grado headphones for metal.

Jun 14, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 33
The HD650 is too smooth and laidback for metal in my opinion, but hey maybe some people like their metal smooth and laidback.

Also the bass of the HD650 is not the "kick and impact" type, it's the enveloping and smooth type. 

You would be better served by the DT880's big brother, the DT990. The headphone in your avatar also works good for metal.
You know what else is great at metal? The T1. For something a little cheaper, try the DT150 or the DT1350.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 33
I think it really matters what sort of sound sig you generally prefer and not what sort sound sig someone else says should go with a genre.  I used my HD650s with all kinds of metal from symphonic to thrash to death and vastly preferred them to the DT990s screeching treble.  I use my Shure SE530s with the same music and love them to death.  My HD650s have recently been superseded by my modded Fostex T50RPs.  They're cheap, they're awesome, but they're hardly a buy and go proposition.  They need some work just to be comfortable.

I don't really think of the HD650s as especially smooth or laid back, I think most other 'phones are just too bright.  They could use deeper and tighter bass but they don't cede any ground compared to other stock 'phones in their price range and category.  The new Beyer DT1350s mentioned above have slightly brighter sound which is more "conventional" for metal and easily best the HD650s in bass extension and definition though I'd give the 650s the advantage in the mids which are more natural from the Senn.  On the downside the 1350s are pretty uncomfortable in comparison to circumaural 'phones.  IMO the 1350s are the best Beyer I've heard out of the 770/880/990/T50p/T1.  They aren't as bright, have better bass, and have more natural mids than the other Beyers I've heard, though they're still not up to the standards of my HD650/SE530/T50RP in that department.

If clean death metal blast beats are your priority, not many full size 'phones do them properly.  If you don't mind a little modding I'd go with the T50RPs.  If you don''t mind supraaural the 1350s are great.  Otherwise you'll have to step up to some of the new orthodynamics like the LCD-2 of maybe the HE-4 or HE-5LE.  There might be some other options out there, but I haven't owned anything else that did that as well.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #5 of 33
The Beyer DT990 is definitely less polite than the DT880 and would likely be a better metal can, but there's a major treble spike there that isn't for everybody. The HD650 can rock, but quality amplification (and a re-cable IMO) is a necessity. Otherwise don't bother. Perhaps an Ultrasone HFI-2400?

The DT1350 to my ears was a bit lean for heavy drum beats and down-tuned guitars, at least straight out of my portable anyway. With a better amp things might improve, but still I think the HD25-1 II or Audio-Technica ES10 would likely have more down low punch than the Beyer. You could also try the Denon 1100 or A100, or if you have a good amp, a Mark L modded D2000 or maybe a D5000. The stock D2000 does an OK job with metal, but it's a bit too unrefined.

Jun 14, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 33
Hmm, I want metal to engage me when I listen to it.

HD650's have their beautiful strenths, but personally I don't think metal is done well by them. They're simply too laid back, although 650's don't do anything very bad.

I would try to get a good deal for Denon D7000's, believe me, unless you're listening at an insane volume level, you will hear the door bell. They're supposed to be closed, but they don't isolate well.

Jun 14, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 33
Quote:
The DT1350 to my ears was a bit lean for heavy drum beats and down-tuned guitars, at least straight out of my portable anyway. With a better amp things might improve, but still I think the HD25-1 II or Audio-Technica ES10 would likely have more down low punch than the Beyer.

You've got to play with positioning until they seal properly.  There's at least 7dB difference between the right and wrong position for bass.  Once you figure it out its not hard to do.

Of course I managed to forget the title somehow, they aren't open.

Jun 14, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #8 of 33

Quote:
You've got to play with positioning until they seal properly.  There's at least 7dB difference between the right and wrong position for bass.  Once you figure it out its not hard to do.

Of course I managed to forget the title somehow, they aren't open.

Interesting, it's possible that may have been the issue. I only had them on my head for a few minutes. The problem is deep, punchy bass (and the lower mid-bass of a palm-muted guitar) and open headphones usually don't go together, at least not as well as closed cans. Some swear by Grados for high energy music, but I'm not a fan. The DT990 has too much of a "U" curve, same problem I had with my D2000. I have no experience with Ultrasones, but the HFI-2400 seems to be quite bass heavy for an open can at least going by FR. I will be ordering an ES10 so I can report on that vs. (what I remember) of the DT1350.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 33
Admittedly I'm not a fan of Grado... at all.  

Anyway I'm not a metal expert, I don't actually listen to metal, but I do admit I prefer listening to pretty much anything with a laidback and smooth sig. The HD650 is indeed a good all-rounder and don't do any genre bad, pretty much. 

I think the DT1350 is a great option but yeah I just realized this thread is looking for something open. DT1350 is closed and supra, and portable. Which I think isn't a bad thing. But may not meet the TC's needs. Another thing I was thinking is the AD700. Now before you say it's like a lesser version of the DT880, there's a mod you can do that is quite interesting, taught to me by dononus. You get some Grado bowls and stuff them inside and under the huge pads of the AD700. This improves its bass response. Because basically what I am seeing you wanting is a DT880 with more bass.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #10 of 33
what about the audio technica ad900s? i heard they are excellent for metal.

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #11 of 33
i would definitely stay away from grados, but maybe thats just me.  honestly, i would save up for any of the newer orthos, the LCD-2's being preferable, theyre the best fullsized cans ive heard for metal, and i think ive heard them all. and yes, i walked around canjam with a stack of metal cd's(everything from the black dahlia murder to dragonforce) listening to everyones rigs :p

Jun 15, 2011 at 1:26 AM Post #12 of 33
OP, you really need to say more about what you like/dislike about the DT880, not just bass.  What do you think about it's treble?  How about the midrange? 

Feel free to make a list, and don't worry about using flowery language.  Get emotional.  If you don't say more, you will get recommendations that might work for the bass you're looking for, but nothing else. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
OP, you really need to say more about what you like/dislike about the DT880, not just bass.  What do you think about it's treble?  How about the midrange? 

Feel free to make a list, and don't worry about using flowery language.  Get emotional.  If you don't say more, you will get recommendations that might work for the bass you're looking for, but nothing else. 

I don't really have a preference for mid or treble presentation. I could use a little less treble than what my DT880 gives but for metal, bass is the main thing I'm after.

Particularly, will the HD650 be able to offer me the bass slam of double kick drums like a closed model would? Or at least, would it be SIGNIFICANTLY more able to do this than the DT880?

Jun 18, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #14 of 33
I don't know about these guys, but a grado would be your best bet. I have a grado sr225 with me right now and comparing them with my dt 880s, these have less treble, and the midrange is emphasized (equals more engaging guitar). The grados have a roll off with the deeper bass, giving an illusion of super fast drum kicks. TBH, the sr 225s have better PRaT that my DT880s and I find them more engaging. 

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:
I don't really have a preference for mid or treble presentation. I could use a little less treble than what my DT880 gives but for metal, bass is the main thing I'm after.

Particularly, will the HD650 be able to offer me the bass slam of double kick drums like a closed model would? Or at least, would it be SIGNIFICANTLY more able to do this than the DT880?

I wouldn't call it significantly better unless you split hairs for a hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back