Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Nov 27, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #256 of 334
Re: lemontree5544 initial impressions

This is a great review!  I actually really liked the way you described the sound characteristics.

The only thing I felt a little different about was the bass.  Although the impact of the bass has been reduced a little, this revealed how far the bass was able to extend. So even though it was a bit thinner, the added depth helped maintain the presence of the bass for me.  Hope that makes sense
rolleyes.gif

I definitely agree with the mod making a dramatic improvement to the mids and adding more sparkle to the highs.  I think the modded D2000's would actually make nice compliments to a grado
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #257 of 334
I dont deny that. I meant that it's lesser as compared to the LA7000. Granted that LA7000 is closed, perhaps the bass is meant to sound lesser as well.

All that said though, the imaging after the mod is pretty mesmerizing.

Nov 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #258 of 334
Thanks for your impressions! I'm curious how an open D2000 compares with a Markl modded D2000...I wonder if they would be a closer match, then?

As for the bass, the D2000/5000/7000 closed will pretty easily reach down to 20-30HZ. When you open it up, that changes to around 40Hz (you can still hear below, just not as well). So, yes, there is technically less extension on the open-backed Denons. The bass does seem much less bloated and boomy than the stock D2000. Open, it is tight, punchy, and detailed. I think it sounds great for the vast majority of music, though I would not recommend these to bassheads.

I just love the way the open Denons present the soundstage, imaging, etc. They are lively and dynamic when they need to be, and everything seems well represented. There seems to be air and life in the sound. In combination, the changes to the bass were quite favorable compared to stock. All of this came together and made a quite enjoyable, addicting sound. Would I take deeper extension if possible? Definitely, but I'm quite satisfied with them as they are. I just needed to tweak down the sibilance and brightness, which some might not need to do.

Also, can anyone explain what a standing wave is and how that can affect frequency response and measurements? I've heard some people claim that dips in frequency response measurements might be standing waves. Perhaps what very little understanding I have is wrong, but is there a chance that big dip in my measurements is due to a standing wave (possibly caused by the raised earpads)?

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #259 of 334
I solved the problem with the headphones bass. I used my Diablo as the amplifier instead. 

Sacrificed a bit of soundstage for bass and now it sounds a lot better. Everything sounded disconnected in my previous set up, but now it sounds a lot like my UM2.

Not sure about all the sound frequencies, I just say it as I hear it ^^;

Nov 28, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #260 of 334

Quote:
I solved the problem with the headphones bass. I used my Diablo as the amplifier instead. 

Sacrificed a bit of soundstage for bass and now it sounds a lot better. Everything sounded disconnected in my previous set up, but now it sounds a lot like my UM2.

Not sure about all the sound frequencies, I just say it as I hear it ^^;

Synergy is very important. Just changing from asio to wasapi would offset the bass for me. I don't use EQ with my setup but I upsample.

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #261 of 334
Was wondering how the cans feel now that they are open. I know it's not much, but the modifications seem like they would help with ventilation. Any noticeable difference in extended use and how hot your ears feel/potential sweat forming on the earpads after long periods of use?

Nov 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #262 of 334
Quote:
Was wondering how the cans feel now that they are open. I know it's not much, but the modifications seem like they would help with ventilation. Any noticeable difference in extended use and how hot your ears feel/potential sweat forming on the earpads after long periods of use?

I didn't really notice a difference, but my ears never get too hot and sweaty from wearing headphones. Maybe someone else has a better answer for you.

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #263 of 334
I'm interested in the 2000s.... if we remove the factors of sound isolation/weight/comfort and just judge the factory-closed D2000s on its frequency and dynamic response... where does the consensus say it rates against an open-back pair like AKG 701s or Beyer 880s.

I'm not someone who needs closedback... but I'm not opposed to it if it wont get in the way of accuracy. What do people think about this?

And how is the fatigue from freq/dynamics? Anyone here have had the chance to compare to 701s or 880s (or even 990s) and care to chime in?

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #264 of 334

Quote:

Synergy is very important. Just changing from asio to wasapi would offset the bass for me. I don't use EQ with my setup but I upsample.

Hmmm. I would just like to say that I think it sounds terrific now. I don't know what changed, but maybe its just that I got used to the sound.

While my previous statements were not unfounded, I'm picking up the good aspects of the sound now the longer I listen to it. (Using my iMod > capacitors  > Crystal Cable RCA to 3.5mm > Diablo set up.)

I find that the deep sounding (a little bloated) bass [adjusted using the diablo's settings] and slight aggressive sound makes for a strong vocal projection of the singer. Because of the deep sounding and somewhat tight bass (not too tight that it decays fast), the mids and the highs linger for a longer period before decaying away. The aggressive sound however, makes the whole ensemble sound a little more squished together as compared to my LA7000 set up.

The versatility of the set up also allows me to enjoy both pop songs and folk-y songs. 

I can still say I like my LA7000 more because of the more obvious sound decay at the highs and the mids, as well as the more obvious resonance factor. I dont know how to put it in sound terms, but let me illustrate by putting in some context: When I listen to my modded D2000, it feels like the band is playing at a  small pub/bar. The LA7000 set up feels more like a full stadium feeling. Both have their perks and I enjoy both settings.

I still hate the pleather denon pads though, so I'm trying to find a set of J$ pads.

(PS: Does anyone know what the Panaromic knob (PANA) does on the Diablo? I havent thought about it until now, Just never touched the knob.)

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:14 AM Post #265 of 334
I'm curious is there a difference between the 2000s/5000s other than just cups? I found the pad mod to tighten the bass significantly. Maybe not as tight as EX1000 but very close but with more quantity. Even at low volume listening these things are great. The FX700s are also good for low volume listening.

Quote:
Hmmm. I would just like to say that I think it sounds terrific now. I don't know what changed, but maybe its just that I got used to the sound.

While my previous statements were not unfounded, I'm picking up the good aspects of the sound now the longer I listen to it. (Using my iMod > capacitors  > Crystal Cable RCA to 3.5mm > Diablo set up.)

I find that the deep sounding (a little bloated) bass [adjusted using the diablo's settings] and slight aggressive sound makes for a strong vocal projection of the singer. Because of the deep sounding and somewhat tight bass (not too tight that it decays fast), the mids and the highs linger for a longer period before decaying away. The aggressive sound however, makes the whole ensemble sound a little more squished together as compared to my LA7000 set up.

The versatility of the set up also allows me to enjoy both pop songs and folk-y songs. 

I can still say I like my LA7000 more because of the more obvious sound decay at the highs and the mids, as well as the more obvious resonance factor. I dont know how to put it in sound terms, but let me illustrate by putting in some context: When I listen to my modded D2000, it feels like the band is playing at a  small pub/bar. The LA7000 set up feels more like a full stadium feeling. Both have their perks and I enjoy both settings.

I still hate the pleather denon pads though, so I'm trying to find a set of J$ pads.

(PS: Does anyone know what the Panaromic knob (PANA) does on the Diablo? I havent thought about it until now, Just never touched the knob.)

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #266 of 334
you can search for some comparison threads, there are many.

in general i think that the bass found on the D5000 is a lot muddier and a lot more bloated as compared to the D2000. i honestly cannot remember how they sound like anymore so dont take my comment seriously :p

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #267 of 334

Quote:
I'm curious is there a difference between the 2000s/5000s other than just cups? I found the pad mod to tighten the bass significantly. Maybe not as tight as EX1000 but very close but with more quantity. Even at low volume listening these things are great. The FX700s are also good for low volume listening.

I think the amp also plays a big role in it. I've had issues with that before :p. Asio vs WASAPI would tip the scale for bloated bass with my set up. Using Asio the bass is very tight and controlled, no bloated at all. Best of all, no EQ required. Just up-sample to 24/88200 (more air) Without the mod though it would be on the boomy side (Almost sold them before the mod). Sound staging is bigger than EX1000, FX700 and IE8s.

Quote:
you can search for some comparison threads, there are many.

in general i think that the bass found on the D5000 is a lot muddier and a lot more bloated as compared to the D2000. i honestly cannot remember how they sound like anymore so dont take my comment seriously :p

Nov 30, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #268 of 334
I further tested using a different set up: Macbook Air/ CDP source > Stello DA-100 > Crystal Piccolo RCA to 3.5mm cable > Diablo > Modded D2000.

Bass problem completely solved even on the lowest bass setting of 1/10. (The Diablo has a bass boost function.)

Nov 30, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #269 of 334

Quote:
I further tested using a different set up: Macbook Air/ CDP source > Stello DA-100 > Crystal Piccolo RCA to 3.5mm cable > Diablo > Modded D2000.

Bass problem completely solved even on the lowest bass setting of 1/10. (The Diablo has a bass boost function.)

:) told ya. Its funny how simple things in a set up can offset the balance. Its also kinda irritating if you think about it. Sound staging with the DACport LX is large. Combine it with the E9 and its even bigger (big enough to get lost in the air lol). Below is a link to Denon 2000/5000 thread. The reviewer generally find the D5000 better in most aspects. The Denon 5000s have more sub bass than the 2000.

http://www.techenclave.com/audio-zone/denon-ah-d2000-vs-ah-d5000-183841.html

Dec 12, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #270 of 334
I know old post alert lol. I find using the wood cups on the Denons seems to help with the tone (timbre). Even though its not closed back I feel it has a slight benefit with the grilled wood cups. Yet I still feel the biggest gain is from letting the drivers breathe so they open up. Also raising the cups so the bass is controlled; best mod I've done so far. Wonder what the TF10 remold will do?

Quote:
Quote:

You could always try it with no cups at all, since there's little to no difference between the cups being completely off and the cups being on but open-backed. The only other part is placing the earpads on the frame of the headphone instead of putting the pegs in the holes and locking them in.

I might be that with the Markl mod, raising the earcups is less necessary. You'll just have to experiment!

I've definitely concluded that there is a peak at 4KHz on these when modded. With the open cups and raised earpads, it gives them a slightly sibilant, wonky sound. On iTunes, I have it attenuated by about 1.5-2dB, and it makes them sound much more natural. I also have the 8KHz and 16KHz bands set to the same. Those help make them less bright and fatiguing, though I suppose someone might want that extra detail. For me, it sound a bit unnatural and is too fatiguing at the volumes I like to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back