Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Nov 25, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #241 of 334

Quote:
Sorry, the headphones are taking a long time to get here.

):

So you have the LA7000s already (Markle modded Denon 7000s?). That would be awesome if the Denon 2000s sounded better with the open-back mod than Denon 7000s lol (I honestly won't be surprised if that is exactly the case).

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #242 of 334

Quote:
So you have the LA7000s already (Markle modded Denon 7000s?). That would be awesome if the Denon 2000s sounded better with the open-back mod than Denon 7000s lol (I honestly won't be surprised if that is exactly the case).

I highly doubt that that will be the case, because I have a very strong bias towards my LA7000s.
I've also have had a strong preference for closed cans. The only other set of open cans which I found I liked were the AKG 701/2s.

At the very least, the sounds will be vastly different (I hope) as the open-back mod D2000 is an 'open' like set of cans and the LA7000 is a closed set of cans.

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #243 of 334

Quote:
I highly doubt that that will be the case, because I have a very strong bias towards my LA7000s.
I've also have had a strong preference for closed cans. The only other set of open cans which I found I liked were the AKG 701/2s.

At the very least, the sounds will be vastly different (I hope) as the open-back mod D2000 is an 'open' like set of cans and the LA7000 is a closed set of cans.

Well from going from closed back denon 5000 to open; the difference is night and day. The Denons would be in the FS forum if not for the mod. For me its made that much of a difference. What the Denon 7000 has on the 2000 and 5000s is more controlled bass and more treble extension which overshadows its mids. The 2000 and 5000 are more linear with the mids. What I found this mod to do was to make the bass super tight and still have the punch while vastly increasing the sound stage. Treble is more detailed and airy. The mids are more energetic and upfront (full-bodied) Its a completely different phone now with a distinct sound signature (EX1000) IMO. Just by putting my hands over the vents on my cups kills the sound-stage and makes the everything sound anemic and closed in.

Nov 25, 2011 at 3:40 AM Post #245 of 334

Quote:
Haha I don't doubt that there will be a big change in sound!

Can't wait to try it out.

Nice woody mod btw! It may look better if you find a set of D7000 cups instead :D

Would be no point lol if I wanted to carve a hole in it. I could always use wood putty and re-stain them to make it real nice. Not really in a rush to do that now though. Mainly concerned with the sound.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #246 of 334
Quote:

I agree, they will probably sound quite different. Hard to say which you will prefer more, but I find the open D2000/5000/7000 sound to be very addicting. If you find you aren't liking the open Denons for whatever reason, check through this thread to see if there are any fixes for the issue. Sibilance and brightness is the most prominent issue, but that can be fixed by placing various foam from cheap headphone earpads in front of the driver. Just keep in mind that these are highly tweakable to your liking...I would take that into consideration before doing too thorough of a comparison.

Can't wait to read your impressions!

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #249 of 334
Hmmm.

I heard the AKG 701 and the mod now, and I think I prefer the mod better. I need to get myself some velcroed- J money pads though, The original pads are unbearable, to say the least. I can't put my J$ pads on the mod either, it kills the sound by killing the soundstage. 

I will post something more substantial soon.

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #250 of 334

Quote:
Hmmm.

I heard the AKG 701 and the mod now, and I think I prefer the mod better. I need to get myself some velcroed- J money pads though, The original pads are unbearable, to say the least. I can't put my J$ pads on the mod either, it kills the sound by killing the sound stage. 

Good. So the other pads kill the sound stage? How is that? So you are surprisingly liking this mod? How does it compare to the LA7000s? Those are denon 7000s right?

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #251 of 334
Quote:
Hmmm.

I heard the AKG 701 and the mod now, and I think I prefer the mod better. I need to get myself some velcroed- J money pads though, The original pads are unbearable, to say the least. I can't put my J$ pads on the mod either, it kills the sound by killing the soundstage. 

The J$ pads or the stock pads kill the soundstage? It's strange that you find the stock pads uncomfortable...

Can't wait for substantial impressions!

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #252 of 334
Yeah I'm in the process of writing my impressions now. I made a really lame compromise by putting my J$ pads on the open-back mod but not screwing the plastic holders in (There will be spaces in-between the pads and the drivers).

The J$ pads kill the soundstage when screwed in properly.

Haha, I've used the J$ pads for a couple of years now. When you use the J$ pads, you don't really turn back.

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #253 of 334

Quote:
Yeah I'm in the process of writing my impressions now. I made a really lame compromise by putting my J$ pads on the open-back mod but not screwing the plastic holders in (There will be spaces in-between the pads and the drivers).

The J$ pads kill the soundstage when screwed in properly.

Haha, I've used the J$ pads for a couple of years now. When you use the J$ pads, you don't really turn back.

Looking forward to your impressions. Particularly the possibility that theses are better than denon 7000s :)

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #254 of 334
Initial Impressions (Remember, I'm not so good at sound vocabulary yet.) - 

Gear used: Toshiba CD Player SD5200 --- > Stello DA 100 ----> Headamp GS - 1 -----> LA7000/Open Back Mod D2000. (I have no idea how the original D2000 sounds like btw)

First off, I would like to begin by saying that the brightness/sibilance are not problems for me. In fact, I like the sibilance as it brings attention to the vocals. Generally, I like the way it sounds as a whole. The sound is aggressive, and sounds seem to be directional (coming from somewhere). 

Lows are subtle, present and tight. However, It feels that the bass is quite light. Bassheads might not like it. It feels little, but present. Apparently, the bass on the D2000s do not sound that great either, so this is considered an improvement from the stock. I have the LA7000 though, so the bass on this cans just do not sound that great. It lacks weight. It's defined, but lacks weight. The bass on the LA7000 is far more defined, far more punchy, far more weighted, but smooth and not overpowering.

I think the mids are where this mod shines. It's very defined, and you can hear it fade off nicely. Sounds are natural and clear. Also, it's detailed. One really nice aspect of the mids is that it is more bright and more in your face (aggressive). Most people don't like it, but I find that its brightness brings live to the songs. (The sibilance can be adjusted by shifting the pads closer to the driver btw. The closer the pads are to the drivers, the less sibilance there is, but the more aggressive and close sounding it becomes.) The sibilance also brings live to the songs. There is depth and movement in the sounds which makes it sound more personal. The mids also gel very well with how far the sound sounds. If the song has sounds that sound further away, the mod will be able to make it so, but at the same time make it sound accurate. Imaging is brilliant. I guess that is what you call soundstage!

The highs are also great. Treble is sparkly and a joy to listen to. They have the ability to be sparkly and not be TOO tiring. I can understand why people will find it tiring, but frankly I like it. The highs provide contrast to the low bass (or tries to), and it is very nicely brought out.

One other aspect of the cans that I like is that, it has both the energy of an open can, as well as the original sound signature of the D2000s. It draws a fine line between these 2 attributes.

If I have to compare between the LA7000 and the D2000, I would choose the LA7000 over the open back mod any day. However, I would say that they sound different from each other in that one sounds like an open can, and the other a closed can. The mids of the open back mod sound are almost as detailed as the LA7000 in my opinion, but the bass doesn't bring it out like the LA7000 does.

The LA7000 are also more laid-back and less aggressive than the D2000, providing a more wholesome sound. It's smooth, but doesn't bring out any particular attribute of sound. I prefer this as I like to pick out the detail of the different tiers of sound on my own. However, when I am lazy, I would prefer the Open back mod as it's more bright and aggressive in this regard.

I have no idea how it compares to other open cans other than the AKG 701. I like this mod more as it is less bright and more musical than the AKG 701. 

That being said though, it sounds good. I can say that I will be finding myself listening to this set of cans despite owning the LA7000!

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:07 PM Post #255 of 334

Quote:
Initial Impressions (Remember, I'm not so good at sound vocabulary yet.) - 

Gear used: Toshiba CD Player SD5200 --- > Stello DA 100 ----> Headamp GS - 1 -----> LA7000/Open Back Mod D2000. (I have no idea how the original D2000 sounds like btw)

First off, I would like to begin by saying that the brightness/sibilance are not problems for me. In fact, I like the sibilance as it brings attention to the vocals. Generally, I like the way it sounds as a whole. The sound is aggressive, and sounds seem to be directional (coming from somewhere). 

Lows are subtle, present and tight. However, It feels that the bass is quite light. Bassheads might not like it. It feels little, but present. Apparently, the bass on the D2000s do not sound that great either, so this is considered an improvement from the stock. I have the LA7000 though, so the bass on this cans just do not sound that great. It lacks weight. It's defined, but lacks weight. The bass on the LA7000 is far more defined, far more punchy, far more weighted, but smooth and not overpowering.

I think the mids are where this mod shines. It's very defined, and you can hear it fade off nicely. Sounds are natural and clear. Also, it's detailed. One really nice aspect of the mids is that it is more bright and more in your face (aggressive). Most people don't like it, but I find that its brightness brings live to the songs. (The sibilance can be adjusted by shifting the pads closer to the driver btw. The closer the pads are to the drivers, the less sibilance there is, but the more aggressive and close sounding it becomes.) The sibilance also brings live to the songs. There is depth and movement in the sounds which makes it sound more personal. The mids also gel very well with how far the sound sounds. If the song has sounds that sound further away, the mod will be able to make it so, but at the same time make it sound accurate. Imaging is brilliant. I guess that is what you call soundstage!

The highs are also great. Treble is sparkly and a joy to listen to. They have the ability to be sparkly and not be TOO tiring. I can understand why people will find it tiring, but frankly I like it. The highs provide contrast to the low bass (or tries to), and it is very nicely brought out.

One other aspect of the cans that I like is that, it has both the energy of an open can, as well as the original sound signature of the D2000s. It draws a fine line between these 2 attributes.

If I have to compare between the LA7000 and the D2000, I would choose the LA7000 over the open back mod any day. However, I would say that they sound different from each other in that one sounds like an open can, and the other a closed can. The mids of the open back mod sound are almost as detailed as the LA7000 in my opinion, but the bass doesn't bring it out like the LA7000 does.

The LA7000 are also more laid-back and less aggressive than the D2000, providing a more wholesome sound. It's smooth, but doesn't bring out any particular attribute of sound. I prefer this as I like to pick out the detail of the different tiers of sound on my own. However, when I am lazy, I would prefer the Open back mod as it's more bright and aggressive in this regard.

I have no idea how it compares to other open cans other than the AKG 701. I like this mod more as it is less bright and more musical than the AKG 701. 

That being said though, it sounds good. I can say that I will be finding myself listening to this set of cans despite owning the LA7000!

Who knows they may grow on you. And source makes a big difference as well. Not sure if he did additional mods to effect the bass but I haven't lost any punch in my bass on my Denon 5000s. Its just very controlled and deep bass with the right amount of quantity. The sparkly treble brings air to the sound stage and imaging is really good. These cans will show you flaws in the recording very easily. I find asio plug in with media money 4 (bit accurate playback) on DACport LX and E9 amp to pair wonderfully. If I use WASAPI the bass becomes a bit too prominent and distracts from the clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back