Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Nov 16, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #226 of 334
Nov 16, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #227 of 334

Quote:
Quote:

Looking forward to it!

Your wish is my command. Keep in mind the pics aren't the greatest (from my iphone4). Aesthetically they aren't the nicest looking I must say but with some minor fixing and restaining they'd be perfect. I'm mainly concerned with the sound though.

Nov 16, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #228 of 334
Quote:
Your wish is my command. Keep in mind the pics aren't the greatest (from my iphone4). Aesthetically they aren't the nicest looking I must say but with some minor fixing and restaining they'd be perfect. I'm mainly concerned with the sound though.

Yep, with a little bit of work, those will look great! Thanks for the pics. Glad you're enjoying them. :)

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:33 AM Post #232 of 334
Quote:
So you like it that much better than stock? Have you even compared it to any of the markl mods?

No, I have not heard any of the Markl modded Denons, unfortunately.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #233 of 334

Quote:
So you like it that much better than stock? Have you even compared it to any of the markl mods?

Although I can picture the Markle mod improving the bass. I can't see it bringing such extreme changes such as a large soundstage, airiness, forward mids.

I

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #234 of 334
Quote:
Although I can picture the Markle mod improving the bass. I can't see it bringing such extreme changes such as a large soundstage, airiness, forward mids.

I've heard it helps with the soundstage and mids, but I would agree in guessing that it probably doesn't sound quite the same.

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #235 of 334

Quote:
Quote:

I've heard it helps with the soundstage and mids, but I would agree in guessing that it probably doesn't sound quite the same.

Maybe it does but I highly doubt it will add to the sound stage as actually turning them into open-back. Open-back headphones/IEMs will always have a significantly larger sound stage to its closed counter-parts. From what I've read the mod mainly tightens bass which in turn improves the mids and overall sound. Still quite a bit off from the open-back mod IMO.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #236 of 334

Quote:
Maybe it does but I highly doubt it will add to the sound stage as actually turning them into open-back. Open-back headphones/IEMs will always have a significantly larger sound stage to its closed counter-parts. From what I've read the mod mainly tightens bass which in turn improves the mids and overall sound. Still quite a bit off from the open-back mod IMO.

I bought kjoh's modded D2000. I also have the LA7000. 

Impressions will soon ensue!

I'm quite bad at describing audio though, so perhaps the community could guide me along as I try to post some newbie impressions.

Nov 21, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #237 of 334
Quote:

I'm quite bad at describing audio though, so perhaps the community could guide me along as I try to post some newbie impressions.

I'll be interested to hear what you have to say! There was a glossary of terms floating around somewhere, if that would help...

What specific mods did he do to his? Like is there any dampening, acoustic foam, recable, backside driver paper removal, foam in front of driver, etc.?

Edit: Ah, nevermind. I read his for sale post. I did find that the recable made them brighter and more sibilant. If you find them too be too bright or sibilant, I would experiment with placing foam (or other materials?) directly in front of the driver in the hole of the foam donut surrounding the driver. And if there isn't acoustic foam in the cups, I found that made a slight improvement in the sound. Details can be found throughout the thread...I'd like to update the original post eventually.

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #238 of 334

Looking forward to your impressions
font]

Quote:

Nov 25, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #239 of 334

Quote:

Looking forward to your impressions
font]

Quote:

I wouldn't recommend an upgraded cable if it affects the treble other than taming it a bit. Silver cable would be out of the question with this mod. There would be a sibilance issue if the treble was anymore pronounced. Its just right IMO giving you a very detailed and airy sound stage. Low volume listening or at least reasonable volume is great with these. Sometimes I may be tempted to pump it up more but you get all the detail still at a reasonable volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back