Open-Back Mod for Denon D2000/5000/7000 - FR Measurements Available! - Updated 11-1-2011
Sep 2, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #16 of 334
Even if you have cans that isolate noise, they won't isolate all frequencies. I have the HD280 pros now, which isolate great on the street, but on an airplane, I still have to turn the volume up to drown out the low frequency rumble of the engine.
I also have the Markl MD2000 on the way. I'll post my thoughts once I listen to them.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #19 of 334
Quote:
Do closed and open headphones use different style drivers?

While having an open headphones might influence the design of the drivers, there usually isn't any difference to be found that you wouldn't already find by looking at different headphones. So, no, I don't believe there are "open" and "closed" drivers. As mentioned above, you do have different types of headphones (dynamic, orthodynamic, electrostatic, etc.), but this doesn't really have anything to do with being open or closed.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 334
Has anyone with a pair of D2000/5000/7000 tried this yet?

I've also noticed that these headphones seem to be picker with their source now. They're a bit too bright on my S:Flo 2 (which I've read is a bit bright as is, and sounds that way to my ears), but they sound fantastic from my Auzentech Bravura sound card. Interesting! I've not yet been able to hear major differences between my sources before, and I definitely can with the open D2000.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #21 of 334
I'm wondering if different types of fabric would make much an impact on the sound if placed behind the grills. I find these a bit too bright for extended listening (and I like to listen loud), so it would be nice if any fabrics would help roll off the treble a bit...

Sep 12, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #23 of 334
Probably, though I'm not sure how those headphones are constructed. The D2000/5000/7000 are great for this mod because you can test it out in a completely reversible way. The cups are easily removable, and the earpads have those plastic spokes that are critical for lifting them off the frame of the headphones. Or, rather, they make it SUPER easy to do.

Sep 12, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #24 of 334
Mod definitely looks interesting.  Not something I'd want to try but definitely wouldn't mind giving a listen to.  

I have my stock D2k cups if anyone is interested in trying this mod but afraid to try with their cups.  PM me an offer.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #25 of 334
Why wouldn't you want to try it? As I've said again and again, you don't HAVE to try it out in a way that is permanent. You simply remove the cups (easy and reversible) and place the earpads on the frame of the headphones (using the plastic locking spokes to offset it...they are what touches the frame instead of normally locking in). That's it. Easy and reversible. If you don't like it, you simply put it back together! If you do, then you can consider permanently modding it. That's why this mod is so awesome (well, and it sounds amazing)!

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #26 of 334

Quote:
Very interesting mod. Something similar could surely be done to the Aurvana Live! which have a Foster microfibre/bio-cellulose driver as well.

Definitely something to think about if you want to try this but are hesitant to open up your D2000.  Though as OP stated, you can audition it on your Denons without fear of permanent damage.  Until it's time to drill out your cups, of course, in which case I could see why someone would not be so quick to go all the way.

Are they the same driver in the Creatives and the Denons?

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #27 of 334
Quote:
Definitely something to think about if you want to try this but are hesitant to open up your D2000.  Though as OP stated, you can audition it on your Denons without fear of permanent damage.  Until it's time to drill out your cups, of course, in which case I could see why someone would not be so quick to go all the way.

I believe they have the same driver as the D1001.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #29 of 334
Are those tostones in that pic?!?!

Quote:

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #30 of 334
How did you cut the hole out of the cups hans? If I can acquire an extra set of wood cups for a reasonable price I may try the mod out myself. Right not I am just keeping the  cups wrapped in a shirt on the side so I can reap the benefits. When I put the cups back on they D5000s sound muffled and claustrophobic, they sound much better open. The highs are more open and less fatiguing this way. Same with the mids and bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back